Author Topic: LONG TERM STORAGE ADVICE  (Read 3107 times)

jeffprupis

LONG TERM STORAGE ADVICE
« on: April 09, 2020, 09:35:41 PM »
Been FTing for 4 years. Bought a home in Tucson (originally for winters) but will ride out the COVID mess until Spring '21. Need advice/experiences in long term shut down. Will drain & flush tanks, shut down house & chassis batteries, fill fuel tank. Will be able access coach to run genny to maintain batteries. Can exercise coach periodically (every 2-3 weeks, run her up for 30 minutes. ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS APPRECIATED

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: LONG TERM STORAGE ADVICE
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2020, 09:59:57 PM »
Jeff,
I would not recommend running the engine. Letting it sit won't hurt it but running it w/o getting it up to operating temperature for a period can do more harm then good. Do run the geni and suggest you turn on the ACs etc to load it to about 50% while running. Also, don't forget about your reefer. Wipe it down and leave the doors open. Since you be in Tucson's dry heat, consider putting a bucket with water in the coach to keep the Rh up a bit for the benefit of the woodwork/cabinetry.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2020, 10:19:13 PM »
If at all possible. plug the coach into shore power to keep the batteries charged. I have stored our coach without and, even when regularly using the gen to charge, the batteries still at some point will go dead. This happens because 1. you 'forgot' to visit coach and run generator. 2. You 'forgot' to add water. 3. You 'forgot' and left a storage compartment light on. . You 'forgot' to turn off the battery disconnect. 5. You 'forgot' that the inverter, even when switched off, still has a significant current draw. Just a few 'forgots'.

So I tried disconnecting the negative battery cable. Ok, no parasitic current draw, but because of the large capacitors in the inverter, sparks fly when you hook up that cable again. Just too many opportunities for failure.

Now that we have the one spot in the storage yard with shore power, I keep it plugged in and only have to keep an eye on the water level (1x / month).

I would count on your batteries failing, for one reason or other, if not plugged into shore power. Just my experience talking, you may do way better than me. For peace of mind, you might budget for a new set of batteries before you head out next spring. If you have success 'wintering over' your batteries, you'll be money ahead.

Cover your tires, clean w/soap and water and apply 303 Protectant every so often. Keep 'em aired up too. Cycle the slideouts, and watch out for rodents! (or scorpions in AZ!)
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2020, 11:50:38 PM »
    Jeff,
 Because the hottest months of the year are just ahead, As Steve has suggested 2- 5 gallon buckets of water with 1 in the front and 1 in the rear. June will get your coach up above 125 degrees inside (no shade)
   Once a month reward her with a trip to Picacho Peak and back. She will reward you later on for "Feelin the Love"
  Blessings & stay safe, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2020, 03:42:49 PM »
Jeff,
Since you can not drain the fresh water section of the AquaHot, and it sometimes freezes in Tucson in the winter, you might consider running a little RV antifreeze through the hot water loop of the AquaHot. I know the chances are very low for freeze damage since you below freezing time is only a few hours, but a freeze damaged AquaHot is a very expensive repair.

When it comes to batteries, the battery cut off switches do not cut off everything, so the engine ECM will still have power and it will kill your chassis batteries in 1 to 2 weeks without the solar panels (stored inside), Therefore, disconnecting the chassis batteries will probably save you the issue of dead chassis batteries, But you will need to hook they up for the monthly generator exercise period.

Gerald   

jeffprupis

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2020, 12:40:06 AM »
For the hive. Will my 100W solar panel on the roof keep my batteries (house & chassis) charged?  Should I have the battery cut off switches on or off? As always, thanks AND STAY SAFE.

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2020, 12:55:32 AM »
Jeff, On a good sunny day in full sun your 100w solar panel will output about 5a of current, i.e., its a 5a trickle charger. And, remember, that solar only produces current for about 5 hrs/day. So 5a for 5 hrs is 25 amp hours. If you have a parasitic load of only 1 amp, all day long, that is 24 amps per day. YOu can see that your solar will not keep up. Cloudy, partial shade, reduces solar output. Plug in to shore power to stay charged and happy, if not possible, prepare to constantly monitor your batteries, and be ready to buy a new set when you are again ready to go. Just my experience. Good luck and stay well
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."