Author Topic: Battery ChargingSystem Troubleshooting  (Read 2344 times)

Jack W Hannah

• BAC Member
  • 713 248-5405
Battery ChargingSystem Troubleshooting
« on: April 25, 2020, 11:09:58 PM »
Although I’ve owned my 02 Patriot now for a couple of years, my actual usage/enjoyment has been very limited (repairs, health, pandemic). Now I’m trying to both; better understand my battery charging system and solve a problem.
There are four components mounted to the ceiling of the battery compartment; they are:
1.   The Alternator Charging Isolator
2.   The Battery Boost Solenoid
3.   A relay (in front of the Battery Boost Solenoid and forward of the Isolator): Sure Power mdl 1315A, Battery  Separator
4.   A rectangular component in the forward/rear corner of the battery compartment that is approx. 2” X 2” and 1” thick.

Some questions about this system:
1.   Does this description generally fit the configuration of an Original system, ie, factory installs?
2.   The Battery Separator relay (described in #3, above) draws ½ amp continuously.  Any idea what controls or powers this relay?
3.   Is the component described in #4, above, the Echo Charger identified in the Beaver’s wiring diagram?

Thank you and any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Jack Hannah

Jack Hannah
2002 Patriot 40B, Monticello
Cat 3126, Magnum Series B

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Re: Battery ChargingSystem Troubleshooting
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2020, 02:21:25 PM »
  Hi Jack,
 I believe what you have is the original set up from the factory. Here is the original purpose as best as I can understand because I am not sure about the reason for the redundant application.
 1- Isolator is for high amperage charging from the Alternator to the chassis & house batteries.
 2- Boost solenoid is activated by the dashboard switch to assist in starting if chassis battery is low.
 3- Sure-power 1315 battery separator analyzes battery voltage of the chassis & house and decides whether to automatically
        connect the chassis battery to the house battery when starting the engine if needed. (see enclosed pdf)   
 4- Echo charger is a low amperage trickle charger to charge the chassis battery. It only engages when it sees 13.1 volts from the house battery. Application would be a solar charger connected to the house battery or the coach is plugged into shore power and the converter is charging the house batteries. Hope this helps, Fred   
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6
The following users thanked this post: Jack W Hannah

Gerald Farris

Re: Battery ChargingSystem Troubleshooting
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 03:57:31 PM »
Jack,
As far as I know, the Sure-power 1315 was not an OEM installation on your coach. It was probably added by a previous owner to replace an inoperative Echo Charger.

Gerald
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks, Jack W Hannah