Author Topic: "Clacking"sound in bedroom slide  (Read 5736 times)

Ron Langdon

"Clacking"sound in bedroom slide
« on: May 30, 2011, 04:20:48 AM »
We are in a campground in Rawlins, Wy, and the driver side bedroom slide, in our 2008 Patriot Thunder began making a loud "clacking" sound, and then stopped half way out. I was able to bring the slide back in. On the trip back in the sound stopped but the slide came in as it should have.  I repeated the procedure, and got the same results -- at the half way mark it began clacking and stopped moving the slide.  After reading Jim Shaw's post, I went under the bed to take a look.  Nothing appears to be wrong-- no leaks, no bearings. Anyone have any ideas of what is causing the sound and the malfunction, and what to do to fix it?  Thanks in advance.
Ron Langdon
2008 Patriot Thunder C13
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 05:41:16 AM by 14 »

George Harwell

Re: "Clacking"sound in bedroom slide
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 02:13:20 PM »

Ron, I am not familar with your coach but will give some food for thought. Would I be correct in thinking we are dealing with an electric powered slide system? As you are probably aware battery powered drills have adjustable clutches. When they reach the selected torque the unit will then begin to chatter. Your description of the slide sounds like the clutch chatter to me. If that is the case there is an obstruction somewhere causing the slide to bind up. Until more professional information comes along this is something to consider. Happy MEMORIAL DAY!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 11:36:07 PM »
I have to agree with George, Ron.  The bed slide is usually electric, not hydraulic like the rest, and therefore probably has a clutch to protect the motor.  Your drive clutch may be slipping/ratcheting from something restricting the slide's movement, either something jamming the mechanism itself, the slide perimeter out of alignment and rubbing hard on carpet or a wall, or the slide up against something outside the coach. (When we were in the Rawlins campground in October of 2006, the slide would've been up against a snowdrift! ??))

Good call, George  ;).

-Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 06:21:05 AM »
There is usually a frame around the inside of the slide, that covers the crack between the slide and the wall.  You may want to use a mirror or your hand, to be sure nothing is between the back of the frame and the wall, stopping the slide from extending.

Larry