Author Topic: Hyraulic jack motor/tank  (Read 4608 times)

Jeremy Parrett

Hyraulic jack motor/tank
« on: July 04, 2013, 04:50:51 PM »
Used the jacks to level the coach last night outside my home. Noticed a liter of fluid on road under front of coach.  Maybe a hose has frayed.  Red colored fluid.
  Anyone had a similar issue?   Thanks,Jeremy

Gerald Farris

Re: Hyraulic jack motor/tank
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 05:21:07 PM »
Jeremy,
The pump and reservoir for your front slide and hydraulic leveling system (same pump for both) is located under your front door steps (remove the step above it for access). There are several possible leak locations in the system and there is no way to tell you what is wrong with the system without an inspection, but it is probably a hose.

Gerald

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 06:45:49 PM »
  Gerald,that would be my best guess.   I will deal with it tomorrow.  Happy 4th July.  Jeremy

Edward Buker

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 08:08:01 PM »
While on the subject of leaks from this system......I'm not sure if we have the same motor/pump/tank arrangement but on both of my Beaver coaches they used a vented cap that screws directly into the top of the tank. With travel and the fluid sloshing around it always seeped out of the cap and all over the reservoir base and with travel back over the motor assembly. It was always hard to tell if you had a legitimate leak or just fluid loss from the cap assembly. I used a male nipple fitting at the tank top and a female coupling to go between the nipple and the cap. The correct fluid level is now 3 and 1/2 inches from the top of the female coupling that the cap screws into. That is just enough so that no seepage comes from the cap and the tank/pump stays dry. I just use a screwdriver as a dipstick that will have the handle rest on the female coupling to check it. Thought this might help others with the same issue. I now rarely check the fluid level and have a visual means to know if I am developing a legitimate leak.

later Ed

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 01:06:01 AM »
Hi Ed,
  same as mine. Tomorrow I will lift the step access panel and see what's going on.  Let you know.
                            Jeremy
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 01:06:52 AM by 4115 »

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 02:28:57 AM »
Ed and Gerald FYI.
    The hose to the left front jack has 2 big holes in it.  The rear left jack hose is   dripping.
 Luckily we have single acting jacks with spring retraction so no return lines are needed  .
We are changing all  for new best quality hose and fittings,including the 2 for the front slide.  
Grove Welders in Vero Beach are doing the work.  Hydraulics is one of their specialties.  The new hoses are being run through the frame ,same as the old ones,which,by the way,were of a very poor standard.
   Jeremy

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 02:54:20 AM »
FYI.   Grove Welders found the hydraulic hose to the front left jack had 2 holes in it caused by chafe and inferior hose.  They replaced this hose;tightened up a loose union on the rear right jack and refilled the system.  Total bill $265.  Whew !!  
When we get home mid August I will run new hoses to the remaining 3 jacks and the front slide ram. Grove Welders will swage new  fittings and connect everything up.  
I used the jacks today in Bouckville NY and noticed an amazing improvement in the speed and efficiency of the system.