Author Topic: Kiwi 42 Series Entry Step Lubricant Recommendations  (Read 2130 times)

Don White

• BAC Member
Kiwi 42 Series Entry Step Lubricant Recommendations
« on: May 08, 2020, 05:16:54 PM »
Hi and Happy Friday,

Does anyone have any recommendations on what to use to lubricate the step glides?  The owners manual says to stay away from WD40 and silicon spray lubricants.  It recommends a dry lubricant.  Curious if anybody has a recommendation of a particular brand.

Thanks
Don White
2006 Marquis Jade IV C13
2019 Jeep Wrangler
Hydralift
2006 HD Fat Boy
1997 Safari Serengetti

Bill Sprague

Re: Kiwi 42 Series Entry Step Lubricant Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 05:54:11 PM »
Lippert makes the Schwintek slide out system that's become very common in newer rigs.  They insist that that lubrication of the exposed parts is done with "CRC Power Lube Industrial High Performance Lubricant with PTFE".   Whatever PTFE is, it may be related to gold.  You don't buy this stuff, you invest in a can that you hope will last as long as your motorhome. 

If you see me at a rally, I'll loan you one or two drops to test between your fingers!  It is dry and slippery. 

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P1E7ZS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The following users thanked this post: Don White

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Kiwi 42 Series Entry Step Lubricant Recommendations
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2020, 09:18:28 PM »
PTFE is polytetrafluoroethylene, of which Teflon is a brand name.  “Dry” lubricant is silicone with quickly evaporating propellant/carriers.  In exposed locations such as your entry steps, mechanical parts benefit from a lube that isn’t wet or oily so dust and road debris won’t stick to it.  I think if the step mfr. doesn’t want silicone used, they’re referring to regular “wet” silicone.  Silicone, wet or dry, resists moisture, but wears off faster than petroleum products.  So it needs more frequent application.

You should be able to find multiple brand names on hardware store shelves that tout dry lube (dry silicone) and that contain PTFE too.  The can on my garage lubricant shelf is made by Liquid Wrench.  It’s dry silicone with “Teflon” added to it for extra slipperiness that dirt won’t stick to.

https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tnpla/63313779?cid=ppc-google-New+-+Lubricants%2C+Coolants+%26+Fluids+-+PLA_sE8893r6O___164110813911_c_S&mkwid=sE8893r6O%7Cdc&pcrid=164110813911&rd=k&product_id=63313779&gclid=Cj0KCQjwhtT1BRCiARIsAGlY51IfMkuunJW6eFNnfP7_fe6bZWjTarQVPRpWLNTRBIrfco7wmv7C3A8aAtvkEALw_wcB

Blaster makes one that doesn’t list silicone as an ingredient, but is 5% PTFE:   https://www.homedepot.com/p/Blaster-9-3-oz-Advanced-Dry-Lube-with-Teflon-16-TDL/202532762

The old can in my coach toolbox is made by Tri-Flow, I believe one of the first of that kind available (1980’s).  But on searching now I find it’s apparently not one of Tri-Flow’s products anymore.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat
The following users thanked this post: Don White