Author Topic: Removing the kitchen mirrors  (Read 2592 times)

Jason Worman

Removing the kitchen mirrors
« on: May 08, 2020, 03:22:47 PM »
Good morning,

I was wondering if anyone has removed the kitchen mirrors around the stove and microwave. My wife informed that for Mothers Day gift this year, she would liked them removed and replaced with tile. My big concern is the microwave area, it is a huge monster sized one.

Thanks
Jason Worman

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Re: Removing the kitchen mirrors
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 04:09:07 PM »
    Jason,
 The only product that I know of that will dissolve RTV silicone is Acrysol. If you could squirt a little from the top of the mirror and let sit for 2 minutes then carefully pry, it will come loose. Another option is laquar thinner but messy,
Good luck and a worthwhile adventure for your Sweetie. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Jason Worman

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2020, 05:15:38 PM »
Fred,

My guess is that tiling over the mirrors would be a bad idea?

Jason

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2020, 09:30:47 PM »
We removed our kitchen mirrors using paint stir sticks and a hammer. Worked the paint sticks in from the side from top to bottom and they popped off.

I had some wet cheap fibre board from a leak at the small sink window. I thought I had it fixed but not so sure now.

I put the peel and stick tile up but don't really care for it. I may pull it back off and get the leak stopped, then put some new wall board up and use small real tile?
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Carl Boger

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2020, 11:58:05 PM »
Pried mine off using a scraper to get under the edge and them using dental floss to cut along the mirror then back to pushing the scraper in a little farther.  They came off intact, but you might want to put tape over them in case they break.
Carl

98 Beaver Patriot Savannah
330 hp Cat 3126

Bob Stone

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2020, 12:07:11 AM »
I successfully removed a mirror in the bedroom to have have it shortened due to a crack near the bottom. I used a wire saw to cut through the bonding material as per automobile windshield removal. Various similar saws are available on Amazon.
Good luck.

Bob
Bob Stone
'05 Monterey Laguna IV  Cat C-9

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2020, 12:44:30 AM »
With my 06 Patriot Thunder I think the big mirrors are held on with Velcro. A lot of the wood trim in the coach is held on with Velcro go figure.

John Fearnow

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2020, 11:05:34 PM »
We put peal and stick simulated tile right over the mirrors.  Jim Sizemore (RV Outfitters) complimented us on the appearance.

John Fearnow
2002 Patriot-Thunder