Author Topic: Magnum chassis axle location  (Read 15805 times)

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
Re: Magnum chassis axle location
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2020, 03:46:33 PM »
Carl
Great to hear you got all your bolts out and back in ok
The unit your installing is it the safety plus or the true centre unit .
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2020, 04:01:12 PM »
Carl
on the Alcoa rims the numbers should be stamped int the rim usually close to the out side near the bead area they run around the rim as they put a lot of info in there like part number max air pressure max weight cap etc.
Thanks Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR

Gerald Farris

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2020, 04:05:13 PM »
Carl,
When I installed a Safe T Plus on my Solitaire, The only way that I could remove the axle clamp bolts was with a 3 foot 3/4 inch drive breaker bar with an 8 foot pipe on it. My 3/4 inch impact gun running on 200 PSI would not move them. The bolts apparently have enough flex in the length between the head and the threads to reduce the impact gun's effectiveness. However, after I got them turning, they came out fine with clean threads.

Gerald

Carl Boger

• BAC Member
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2020, 06:50:51 PM »
Thanks Gerald,
I did get mine out.  They do put up a good fight though!  The 2nd one took about 12 more tries than the first one and it took at least 10 tries.  Bracket is now on will get to the other connections later.
Carl

98 Beaver Patriot Savannah
330 hp Cat 3126

Carl Boger

• BAC Member
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2020, 06:57:40 PM »
Eric,
I am installing the safe t plus with the trim kit from super steer.  Basically I can set the adjustment on the safe t plus by pushing a button while driving down the road and it will hold the set position until I set it again.  It works off of air pressure.  Its kind of like the blue ox one that they discontinued, but that one was electric.
Carl

330 hp Cat 3126

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2020, 07:20:00 PM »
Yup I'm familiar with the blue ox unit  I installed a couple of those years back but never saw an air unit.
I'll have to look into them
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR

Gerald Farris

« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2020, 08:44:02 PM »
Eric,
The air trim unit that Carl is referring to (the same one that is on my coach), is a design that was originated by fellow BAC member Roy Mueller. (https://www.ultrarvproducts.com/Trim-Unit-for-Safe-T-Plus/SS200RM-Supersteer-Trim-Unit-(Monaco-Roadmaster)-For-Safe-T-Plus-Hydraulic-Steering-Control) He licensed Henderson's Line-Up (Super Steer) to market it and he gets a royalty for every unit they sell. I think that all of the machine work and manufacturing is actually done by Roadmaster, the tow bar and base plate manufacturer.

Gerald

Carl Boger

• BAC Member
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2020, 12:32:08 AM »
Eric,
Here are some photos of the extra shocks on the front of my RV.  The pictures were all taken from the front of the coach.  The bracket on the left is the one with the gussets.    The shocks are Monroe Gas-Magnum 65444.  It does look like it could have been a factory job, especially the brackets.  The welds are not all the prettiest but they have held up for who knows how long.   
Carl

330 hp Cat 3126

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2020, 12:50:03 AM »
Gerald thanks
I've never seen that unit it's interesting looks like a 20 square inch chamber to lock it .
There must be an air solenoid/ dump valve to allow locking the centring cylinder to be locked and or released.
It would appear it would add a fair bit of unsprung weight but it is a nice feature to have.
Is the control an electric switch or an air valve.
Thanks Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2020, 01:09:25 AM »
Carl
Someone's been busy
I see your coach has new torque rods, air bags, shocks and now a steering control.
The shock mount all look good they did a good amount of fab work to mount them.
It looks like it would take quite a bit of work to weld them up and get them welded in there.

On the pass side what is or was the square tube welded to the front of the air bag cross beam?

I was looking at the unit your installing , that's quite a bracket did you manage to get the rest bolted to the tie rod today.
And is the control for the chamber an electric valve or a manual control .
Looks like a great add on.
Thanks again for all your help
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR

Carl Boger

• BAC Member
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2020, 01:57:48 AM »
Eric,

No idea what the square tube was.  It was hacked off before I got the Coach!  The air control valve is a 12 Volt electric valve and you are supposed to run a line out of it to dump the air.  I got the whole thing kind of mocked up today not sure if it will stay exactly like that. I am trying to get the best angles and the most clearance before I commit to where everything will live.
Carl

330 hp Cat 3126

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2020, 02:19:23 AM »
Carl
Have you decided on a place for the switch.

That tube on the cross beam looks like the outside tube may have been factory installed by the welds strange.
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR

Carl Boger

• BAC Member
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2020, 02:37:22 AM »
Eric,

Right now plan to put the activation switch in the Drivers side console between some of the other switches.  It only takes a 1/2 inch hole.  The actuation valve should fit in the electrical bay, it about the size of a small match box.  I don't know if it was factory or not sure what to make of it.  Really I don't need any more projects on this one and if I knew something was missing I would probably be trying to replace it.   
Carl

330 hp Cat 3126

Bill Drout

• BAC Member
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2020, 11:36:23 AM »
Does anyone know the axle location was an issue on the 98 Patriots?  The tires currently on the coach are the Michelin 275/70R22.5, but those came with the motor home when I bought it back in 2018. 
Bill Drout
1998 Beaver Patriot Monticello - 40'
CAT 3126B

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2020, 12:42:07 PM »
Carl
I just thought of something you may want to check while you under there both Jeff Johnson and I have had lower frame issues
Check the passenger side I beam on ahead of the axle there is a track bar connected to the top of that frame to a bracket welded to the top of the I beam the issue is on the vertical web of the I beam it seems that the track bar has worked the I beam back and forth until it has fatigued and cracked horizontally from the front open end of the I beam back about 5 inches .

I welded mine and reinforced the I beam by boxing in the end and under the track rod bracket.
Just something to check
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR