Author Topic: Bottom slide seal  (Read 6647 times)

Tom and Pam Brown

Bottom slide seal
« on: May 31, 2011, 02:00:25 PM »
Has anyone replaced the bottom slide seal known as skirtboard?

Do you have to remove the storage compartment to get at the seal or just contortion your body?

Thanks
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 06:26:28 PM by 14 »

Richard And Babs Ames

Re: Bottom slide seal
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 02:19:43 PM »
We had the skirt shield replaced by the Beaver Service Center in Tampa while it was still Safari Owned and before "Camp Monaco" in Wildwood, FL. The Slide was completely removed to access and replace the seal. They charged me half the labor which came to $1400 and did all the seals while it was out. You might try Alliance Coach (ad on our home page) who has a lot of experience replacing seals.

Marty and Suzie Schenck

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 03:24:00 PM »
I changed the bottom seal on our 2002 Patriot Thunder. The seal cost about $20.00 from Beaver Coach Sales and me about 4 hours work. I am small so I was able to work around the compartments. Marty

Paul Schwalen

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 03:35:58 PM »
I replaced the 'skirt seal' on our 03 Contessa last year.  I found the rubber strip on line for about $40 delivered.  The easier part was removing the existing pop rivets that hold the stainless steel strip in place, which then holds the rubber seal in place. I cut the stainless strip to facilitate the installation. If I left the strip as one piece it would have become almost impossible to use the contact spray glue and position the full length of the strip without messing up the glue job. I just added pop rivet holes on either side of the cut pieces.

The hardest part was installing the pop rivets that are behind the 2 long bay compartments that come out with the slide.  The rivet holes near each end of the slide are not difficult but I could not reach the holes near the center.  I enlisted the help of a younger more agile, thin friend who crawled under the slide and reached the rivet locations from the there.

The job took most of a day but has held up very well.

Good Luck!

Paul

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 04:17:39 PM »
I would love to have ordered from a sponsor.  But, at a price difference of $3.12 per foot, I ordered from somewhere else.

Thanks for all the comments as soon as the seal arrives I will put it to good use.

Thanks
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 06:25:13 PM by 14 »

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 09:07:40 PM »
Finished the seal replacement.

It took a total of about 6 hours from start to finish.  Not too bad just had to be a contortionist.

Replaced some of the rivets with seld taping stainless screws in order to speed the replacement up next time.

It looks good and all the opening under the slide is sealed.  

Hopefully that will be all the instense projects this year.

Jerry Pattison

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 07:42:54 AM »
I bought 17 ft of 4" X 1/8 " skirtboard from

http://www.rubbercal.com/Skirtboard.html

The skirtboard was $12.41 and shipping was $4.14.

I have not installed it yet, but the price was sure right!

Any contortionists going to be in Vegas soon?  Chuckle!!

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 03:17:36 PM »
Lazydays replaced our main living room slide skirt (lower) seal in 3 hours. The seal cost $60.