Author Topic: Chassis Batteries Discharging  (Read 8033 times)

Dennis n Heather Crawford

Chassis Batteries Discharging
« on: June 06, 2011, 09:13:02 PM »
Hello everyone!
I am Dennis Crawford and with my wife Heather, we are currently on our inaugural run with our recently acquired 2003 Monterey Newport. I have had problems starting the mh, and called out an rv mechanic, who diagnosed 2 dead or near dead chassis batteries.  That was 2 days ago.  I had the mechanic replace both batteries, but now I find there is not enough power being generated to start the mh, in spite of using the coach override.  Even the automatic step does not work! We have been plugged in to a 50amp shore line all this time. It seems as though something is draining the batteries. If anyone has any ideas, I would be most grateful, as I have the mechanic returning tomorrow.
Nervously, Dennis.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 03:39:06 AM by 14 »

Brad Burgess

Re: Chassis Batteries Discharging
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 09:34:29 PM »
Hello Dennis

See my recent post titled "New Batteries (and more)"  Your BIRD battery combiner may not be seeing at least 13.3 volts from your Inverter/charger unit.  If it isn't it will not close the Big Boy isolator and therefor will not charge your chassis batteries.

If you need to call my # is 480-209-2696.

Brad Burgess
03 Monterey #800460

Tim Westman

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 10:41:22 PM »
Hi Dennis,

Are you sure that the charger was on when on shore power.  I think you have a Xantrex system.  Check your remote and make sure the charger was on.  

Good luck.

Tim

George Harwell

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 11:11:15 PM »
It sounds like your house (4 each) batteries are not charged either.  Get a voltmeter, and check each batteries voltage. If they are not charged after being plugged into shore power, you probably have an issue with the charger/inverter. Try starting the generator, and check for charging on the Alladin monitor.  Another area of concern is the water level in the batteries.  Insure they are not dry, but don't fill them to the proper level, until they are fully charged. It would be best to disconnect the 50 amp cord, before starting the generator. Do you have the inverter selected on or off, at the remote above the copilots seat?  I never turn it on, unless in the travel mode and the refrigerator is turned off.  If your batteries are run down, be sure to get them charged by shore power or generator, as it is really hard on the engine alternator. If your coach has been sitting on a sales lot for some time, I would not be surprised to see the batteries unattended.  Hope this helps get you going.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 03:46:05 AM by 14 »

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 11:16:23 PM »
I'd question the abilities of the mechanic, if he didn't check into why your original batteries were dead, Dennis.  Obviously, he should have checked the coach batteries as well, and didn't, because your Boost operation isn't up to snuff either, which means the coach bats aren't getting charged.  It's likely not a drain that's the problem;  like Tim and Brad suggest, it's probably your charging system that's not working.

-Joel
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 03:47:58 AM by 14 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Dennis Crawford

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 11:45:42 PM »
Dennis,

My name is also Dennis Crawford and I have a 2005 Monterey.  You have gotten some good responses here.  If the house batteries are dead and do not activate the BIRD module, you will not charge the chassis batteries.  Just one house battery could have a dead cell and that will screw up everything.  There is a drain on the chassis batteries all the time; somewhere between 4 - 5 amps.  This can do some draw down damage in a couple of days.  Also, if you have a solar panel, and it is in the shade and not getting sun, that can pull out additional amps.  I know that sounds dumb, but I repair motor homes for a living.  There is one more thing I want you to check.  Up in the "wiring cabinet" on driver's side, there is a continuous duty solenoid.  You can check the voltage on one side of this.  If you are getting a full load and nothing on the other side when ignition key is in on position, this can be a problem as well.  I have had to replace mine twice.  If this is problem, let me know, and I will give you the NAPA part number.

Dennis
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 03:50:18 AM by 14 »

Keith Oliver

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 05:30:02 AM »
Den #1
Check out my thread "what is using all my electricity"  for similar inaugural problems.  How long did your coach sit on a sales lot with nobody checking to see if it was being charged?  Check for things that draw from your batteries, and be sure to get them turned off.  Some are hard to find.  Like George says, make sure the inverter is set to off, both by the driver and down in the power bay.  If on, it will easily draw a continuous 5 amps, even when no power is being drawn from it.  Your ECM will draw some, and you may have other loads on the Chassis batteries that are hard to find.  Your echo charger may also not be working, although it sounds to me like your main charger is the culprit, and the echo charger can't work unless the main charger is also working.  Good luck.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 07:54:06 PM by 14 »

Gil_Johnson

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 08:57:51 PM »
I too would question the competency of the tech.  It could be they were original batteries, and the tech was simply chalking up their failure to end of life that should be expected with batteries that are that old.  In order, I would do the following:
-- Check that battery charger is working.
-- If the charger is working, make sure it's charging both battery banks, if it's suppose to.  Some coaches were configured such that the charger only charged the house bank.
-- Check your batteries (fluid levels and voltage).  Voltage should be taken several hours after the battery charger has been turned off and with no load.
-- Have the batteries load tested.
-- Identify any unexpected loads.

FWIW, I always turn off the battery switches when the coach is parked and doesn't have a charging source.

BTW, Congratulations on the new coach!

Gil
08 Contessa 42
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 05:37:02 AM by 14 »

Dennis n Heather Crawford

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 12:47:22 AM »
I would like to thank you all so much for all the advice and encouragement at my time of need! The mechanic did return, and although his competency may be a little questionable, I cannot fault his enthusiasm and his honesty. He finally declared that the 'Big Boy' had been wired in reverse which made it constanly draw current from the chasis batteries. I must confirm that the BB was getting very hot, indicating constant use. The BB was disconnected,, and the chasis batteries were charged sufficiently from an external source to allow the engine to be started. I allowed the engine to run for over an hour, stopped and successfully restarted it. We are, as planned, to return home tomorrow, and it was agreed that the mechanic would return if needed to get us on our way. I will, of course, take up the problem, whatever it is, with a mechanic I have the utmost confidence in on reaching home.
Again, fellow Beavers and journeymen, my sicere thanks.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 05:43:16 AM by 14 »

Gil_Johnson

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 07:38:13 PM »
Wired backwards...really?  So, with the wiring corrected the solenoid opens when there's no charge voltage or when one battery drops too low?  FWIW, my solenoid also gets warms and hums just a bit.

I hope your problems are behind you now,

Gil
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 07:57:13 PM by 14 »