Author Topic: Front Door Issue  (Read 2389 times)

Don White

• BAC Member
Front Door Issue
« on: May 11, 2020, 02:36:27 PM »
Hi and happy Monday,

I recently have started having a problem shutting the front door.  Previously I could give a slight tug on the door when it is open from the inside of the coach or push on it from the outside and it would swing shut.  Now I have to stand in the coach and push on the bracket on the top of the door that goes from the door to the coach to get it to release the door.

It appears the pivot point is worn and allowing the support to bind when opened.  There is considerable up and down play at the pivot point to the point where the screen door rubs against it when shutting it.  I've included a picture below.  Any suggestions on what to do? 

If it does need to be replaced any direction on where I can get the part would be appreciated. 

Should it need to be replaced and parts are available how is it removed from the top of the door.  I've included a picture showing where it is attached.  From a fastener perspective am I looking at pop rivets that would need to be drilled out?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and advice.

Don White
2006 Marquis Jade IV C13
2019 Jeep Wrangler
Hydralift
2006 HD Fat Boy
1997 Safari Serengetti

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
Re: Front Door Issue
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2020, 02:53:39 PM »
A fellow Monaco owner will rebuild your door strut good as new for < $50. His name is Randy Bergen

Randall Bergen <rjb4jcpa@gmail.com>

I bought a rivet puller from Harbor Freight for the rivets in the door. Used stainless rivets I got from McMaster Carr

https://www.harborfreight.com/heavy-duty-17-1-2-half-inch-hand-riveter-with-collection-bottle-66422.html

The job is not hard and the rebuilt strut works like new. A little stiff when you first install, but it works fine now.
Good luck!
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2020, 03:06:59 PM »
Hi Don
It appears you'd doesn't have the posilock feature wear you have to unlatch it with the door handle.
New ones are available from  Veurinks rv call (616) 965-9633
I think the one your looking for is $119. And they sell the rivets too
Or you could take the old one of and hammer the hinge pin tight agian
Hope this helps
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2020, 04:18:42 PM »
  Eric is right, if you are so inclined to do mechanical repairs, drill out the rivets and remove the scissor assembly. on a hard surface, hammer on the the pivot rivet gently but firm until there is no free-play between the 2 arms but they are not binding. The 2 indents should engage each other. Reinstall and install new rivets in the top of the door and it will work just like new. Hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2020, 04:28:42 PM »
Don if you don't want to do the job yourself you can also get a new unit from Beaver Coach Sales in Bend, I don't recall the price but they did stock these.
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Richard Archer

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2020, 05:05:25 PM »
I apologize if I'm not adhering to protocol but I have a question related to the front door subject.  I have a persistent rattle that appears to be coming from the top of the front door and my coach has the "posilock" feature.  Does anyone have any advice about taking the top of the door off......any hidden land mines?
Thank you in advance.
Rich
2000 PT
C-12
2000 Patriot Thunder
40'
Cat C-12 425
Princeton

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2020, 06:07:01 PM »
Richard
The Posilock system consists of a small toggle which engages a notch in  the swing arm when the door is open this toggle is spring loaded and is disengaged by a cable connected to the entry door handle.
The rattle you discribed is likely the swing arm judge point being worn and allowing the swing are to rattle when the door is closed you can remove the whole assembly and tighten the pivot pins by hammering them as Fred discribed in one of the earlier posts.
Hope this helps
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Richard Archer

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2020, 09:10:19 PM »
Eric:
Thank you very much for the explanation and advice.
Best regards,
Rich
2000 Patriot Thunder
40'
Cat C-12 425
Princeton