Author Topic: Bay door separating from hinge  (Read 2357 times)

Jeff Ramey

Bay door separating from hinge
« on: May 17, 2020, 09:42:57 PM »
My bay door is separating from the actual hinge. What glue or double sided tape was used to adhere these?
Thanks!

Jeff Ramey

Re: Bay door separating from hinge
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 09:44:13 PM »
Pics

Mike Shumack

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020, 10:45:09 PM »
Will you be able to pull the door skin off or back enough to clean that mating surfaces well?
If you can get the surface clean, I would use a panel bonding adhesive. However, I believe Monaco did use a tape to attach those panels. I don't know which product they used. I just think the adhesive is easier and more fool-proof to apply.

3M makes some https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/collision-repair-us/featured-products/structural-adhesives/ And 3M has a bunch of YouTube videos on selecting the correct product and application.

I have personally used the "Lord Fusor to attach new inner fender panels in the bed of my truck, and the results were very good. It's a two part epoxy-like material.

Roy Boles

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2020, 06:24:04 PM »
 I had this happen on my Montrey and Marquis. I aligned the panel to the hinge and pop riveted them together. I used five rivets per door. No further problems.
'98 Marquis Diamante
C-12/Allison 4000

Adam Hicklin

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 01:10:40 AM »
Mike, would the epoxy be strong enough to use alone, or would it still need to be welded.  Rivets would work, but I think I wouldn’t like the look of that.