Author Topic: Separated storage bay door  (Read 2858 times)

Adam Hicklin

Separated storage bay door
« on: May 26, 2020, 11:34:24 PM »
After a couple years of nursing this door along, the weld finally let go.  It seems that the hinge is welded to the door skin at each end then in between the hinge is stuck to the door skin with double sided tape.  Over time, the tape begins to let go and the door skin starts to rub on the belt line time, this putting pressure on the welds. I have the door pictured, which completely broke, and another where the weld has just started to crack.

Has anyone dealt with this?  The only option I can think of is having it re-welded, which will surely damage the paint, but I’m still left with the double sided tape problem.  Doesn’t seems like there is more areas to strengthen the bond by welding. Any ideas? 

Mike Shumack

Re: Separated storage bay door
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 11:52:31 PM »
Adam, here is a thread on the same subject that may be of some help http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,9871.0.html
I would not hesitate to use automotive "structural panel adhesive" (i.e. its a two-part epoxy-like adhesive) as long as you can get both mating surfaces clean. I have used this (the Lord Fusor brand) product many times. Most of the body panels on modern cars are adhesive bonded -its really strong stuff.

The problem you have, is that you would need to remove the metal frame support rail in order to clean the mating surfaces properly. And it looks like just the corner has come loose - so maybe you don't want to pull that apart completely, so a rivet (or two) might be easiest fix although probably not the best looking fix.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 11:59:53 PM by Mike Shumack »

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 12:08:39 AM »
If when they built these coaches they would actually get some people that can weld and weld these parts up where they will not fall apart in a few years. As Mike stated I've used epoxy two part to stick one of my door panels together, it was the interior part so it doesn't show on the out side.

Adam Hicklin

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 01:13:43 AM »
Mike, would the epoxy be strong enough alone, or would it still need a mechanical fastener or weld?

Mike Shumack

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 12:01:06 PM »
The epoxy alone is strong enough - as long as you meet the surface prep requirements. It's a lot stronger than the tape Beaver-Monaco was using.
In the other thread there are links to 3M and Lord Fusor brands. See the product comparison charts and/or the manufacturers YouTube product videos to be sure to select the correct one.

Adam Hicklin

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2020, 06:43:42 AM »
Ended up using the 3M panel adhesive.  Since the welds on either end we’re already cracked, it wasn’t too bad taking the hinge piece off.  There was a second weld on the inside of each side support but by the looks of it, it wasn’t doing much good.  The hardest part was removing the old adhesive from the hinge piece and the door skin.  Used a small angle grinder and sanding disk to grind the old welds off and prep the door.  Used a little too much adhesive toward the top edge and had some squeeze out which had to be chiseled off with a sharp putty knife.  Next time I will use less adhesive at the edge.  And there will be a next time because just about every door is at some stage of delaminates not.  The two sided tape lasted 22 years, so I guess I got the mileage out of it.  Attached is a pic of the glue up. 

Jerry Pattison

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2020, 10:38:06 PM »
I have some with broken welds.  Used rivets to fix.

Adam Hicklin

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2020, 03:57:05 AM »
Jerry, I considered that and may be a solution in some circumstances, but on mine the real problem was the separation of the door skin from the hinge along the old double sided tape.  The skin would catch when the door is opened and that puts the stress on the weld. 

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2020, 02:40:54 PM »
   Another consideration are the gas struts on the door. Are they the correct pressure and travel? As coaches trade ownership, the struts may have been replaced along the way. I have experienced compartment hinge failure because the struts pressure was excessive. The extrusion style hinge should only have a strut installed that requires light pressure to close it. Hope this helps. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6