Author Topic: Breaker tripping in sub panel  (Read 2871 times)

John Ziomek

• BAC Member
Breaker tripping in sub panel
« on: May 27, 2020, 09:22:15 PM »
2006 Monterey 40'

Trying to troubleshoot breaker issue on #6 breaker in my subpanel.

Sticker reads...DNT LGHT & A/V RCPTS....not sure what this all means except,rcpt= receptacle/outlet. ??

Breaker off...outlet disconnected... pwr.source reads solid short on ohm meter...

We are plugged into 50amp shore power. 

Any thoughts or suggestions??

Thanks...
2006 Beaver Monterey 40'

Frank Bergamo

• BAC Member
Re: Breaker tripping in sub panel
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 09:45:32 PM »
John, I believe dinette light switch and audio/video are what you are referring to. The dinette light switch circuit is pretty self explanatory, the audio/video circuit may be a power strip, plugged into a receptacle that powers your a/v equipment. Try unplugging the power strip and see if it trips the breaker. This will let you know if it is the power strip or the receptacle. If no joy in unplugging the power strip, it may be the light switch. Hope this helps.
Frank & Paulette Bergamo
2019-       : 2007 Marquis Topaz IV  C-15 600 HP Allison 4000
2014-2019: 2002 Marquis Emerald C-12 505 HP Allison 4000
2004-2014: 1986 Executive Diplomat 3208 250 HP Allison MT-643
Grand Junction, CO.
The following users thanked this post: John Ziomek

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 09:46:04 PM »
John,
Breaker is for the dinette lights and the audio/visual receptacles. Try unplugging the audio visual equipment (TV and stereo) to see if one of them is the source of the short. If not, I'd remove the dinette lights to see if one of them has a hard short. Not very likely but possible. If still no luck, you may have a short in the wiring or at on of the A/V receptacles.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 10:57:32 PM »
Looking in Coach Assist for your wiring diagram, it looks like you only have one, 120v light on that circuit; Its the wall sconce ahead of the dinette. I would be looking at the 120v flex wiring under the slide. Where the wire has to move, that might be where the problem is. Check out your wiring diagram on Coach Assist under Private, BAC members only.
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Mike Shumack

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 10:58:19 PM »

Breaker off...outlet disconnected... pwr.source reads solid short on ohm meter...

How are you testing for "short"? One test lead on Hot the other to Ground, or Neutral to Ground or ?

I assume your problem started a circuit breaker tripping in your house elect panel. Don't rule out a bad circuit breaker (especially if it's a GFCI type).

John Ziomek

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2020, 11:30:47 PM »
Many THANKS!!!! to Frank..Steve...Bill and Mike for taking the time to respond to my cry for help.
Frank/ Steve tried your advice and found one thing plugged into the circuit, not sure what it was for. Traced the square looking plug to some sort of small thingy.(lol I'll figure it out later and follow up with exactly what it is)  Thank You!!

Bill....appreciate the lead/info for Coach Assist, definitely will be looking at this. Thank You!!

Mike...tested across the blk and wht wires....grn is grd.  Only have four outlets on the run. As stated above unplugged the one square type plug (looks like the early type of adapter for answer machine, phones etc.)  Thank You!!

I will pick this up tomorrow and see what happens....hopefully with all of this fantastic advice the issue will be resolved.

Just to let everyone know the overhead dinette lights are working fine the only thing that is not working are the outlets......go figure...

Again much appreciated.....

2006 Beaver Monterey 40'

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2020, 11:44:52 PM »
If like mine, all lights (except wall sconce in roadside slide) are 12vdc.
525 hp C13

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2020, 11:57:17 PM »
Your longer floorplan may vary from our Ventura IV, but likely not much. 

30amp (Inverter) box breaker 6 runs to a junction box under/behind the fridge that exudes 2 outbound sub circuits.  One goes to a second Jbox in the dinette slide (streetside front), then to the dinette outlet and any optional table outlet forward of there, and finally to any switch to an optional sconce light on the slide wall. 

The second outbound sub circuit runs to the fridge ice maker outlet behind the fridge (remember that the ice maker part of the fridge can feed off the inverter, but the fridge/freezer itself cannot and instead plugs into its own outlet on a 50 amp Main breaker circuit, 6a;  this prevents the fridge from running down batteries while dry camping, making it revert to propane).  From the ice maker outlet the sub circuit runs forward to the front cap and two A/V outlets plus one for the TV.

Your short could be anywhere mentioned.  If you have a plastic Belkin power strip buried in the front cap’s snake pit of wires feeding A/V, it has been known to be a hazard, overheating, melting, and is a fire danger as reported by at least one member or former member here.  Check it.  Replace it with a metal-cased power strip that better contains any internal burning.

As Mike notes, be sure the built-in GFCI in your 30amp #6 breaker is okay, although I’ve never had problems with that type like I have with ones in outlets.  There are good quality GFCI’s that aren’t over sensitive, and then there are poor quality ones that incessantly trip.

The ice maker outlet box may contain the 12 volt device that locks out the TV and A/V sub circuit when the coach ignition is turned on.

By the way, the dinette overhead lights are not 120v, but rather part of the 12v Multiplex system, probably Module B, bar J1 port 4 like mine.

Joel
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 12:10:43 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2020, 12:34:10 AM »
John,
The square plug sounds like a step down AC to DC converter for a phone or any of multiple appliances. They can go bad de to heat. Did unplugging this resolve your problem?
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2020, 12:54:20 AM »
  Also on that circuit is the ice maker duplex recept located in the refer cabinet, unfortunately they don't identify it. If you remove the exterior access vent cover, you will find 2 duplexes. 1 is the refer the other is the ice maker for those who want ice while in transit if your inverter is turned on. Hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2020, 01:30:37 AM »
One way to tell if its the icemaker or fridge receptacle, is that the icemaker receptacle will have two romex cables going into it, while the fridge will have only one. The IM is on a daisy chain circuit, and the fridge circuit is a dedicated circuit due to the large AC current the fridge draws on shore power. On my '05 Patriot, the IM receptacle still has its 'Icemaker" label!
525 hp C13

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2020, 06:53:00 AM »
The ice maker outlet on our ‘06 Monterey is the bottom of two;  the fridge outlet is immediately above it.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Dennis Belfils

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2020, 07:13:59 PM »
Had the same problem on our rig. Turned out to be the icemaker was failing, possibly the heating element. Was random until it failed completely. New maker fixed the problem. In the interim we swapped the plugs outside. Hope this helps

John Ziomek

• BAC Member
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2020, 11:06:33 PM »
Once again a very "BIG THANK YOU" to one and all for the very informative and sage advice given about my breaker problem.
The issue points directly to the ice maker. I have had it unplugged now for about 45 minutes and the breaker has not tripped yet.  Earlier today after putting back together my hunt and pecking of outlets...lol....I had flipped the breaker on and in about 5-10 minutes it had tripped.
Referred back to this post and there were other thoughts on the cause.......brilliant!!!!!  Lead me to the icemaker......

Next step get ahold of our local RV tech and use some of this warranty money I have spent and have the unit replaced.

Thank you one and all for your time and sharing of knowledge!!!!!!!!

FYI the icemaker outlet on our rig happened to be the top one......it was labeled... lol

JZ
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 11:12:02 PM by John Ziomek »
2006 Beaver Monterey 40'
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks