Author Topic: Coolant Recovery Tank  (Read 2418 times)

Adam Hicklin

Coolant Recovery Tank
« on: May 30, 2020, 07:15:04 AM »
A while back I saw a thread about adding an auxiliary coolant recovery tank.  I think the theory was to install a lower pressure cap on the expansion tank to try to keep the pressure down on the aging original tank.  I tried to search for the thread, but came up short.  Is this a thing, or just something I imagined?  Anyway, has anyone done this? And what’s the process?  Thanks in advance. 

Gerald Farris

Re: Coolant Recovery Tank
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2020, 11:26:39 AM »
Adam,
There are two different issues in your question. Frist, the OEM plastic surge tank on your coach was from a Ford truck application, and it is very prone to failures from cracking when used with the 13 PSI radiator cap that your coach was originally equipped with. So after 2 tank failures in 3 years, about 12 years ago, I changed my 2000 Marquis to a 7 PSI cap since the coach never ran above 200 degrees and I saw no need for the higher pressure cap. After installation of the 7 PSI radiator cap, I never had another tank failure. When I traded the Marquis for the Solitaire that I drive now, the radiator cap change was the first thing I did to the coach because the Ford tanks are no longer available, and if you have a tank failure, you will have to purchase one of the metal replacement tanks that are now available. 

I installed the recovery tank a few years later. The main reason for the recovery tank was to be able to see the coolant level at all times, hot or cold without removing the radiator cap. The surge tank was not transparent enough to check the coolant level and on the 2000 Marquis there is little room above the surge tank to check or add coolant. Coolant recovery bottles are readily available, and they are an easy addition to your cooling system. However, you will need about a 3 or4 quart recovery bottle since your coach has such a large coolant volume. So if you use a standard automotive bottle you will probably need to mount 2 side by side so that they fill evenly or you can do like I did on the Marquis and use a transparent gallon bottle an make your on bracket.

Gerald
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks

Adam Hicklin

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2020, 06:02:17 PM »
Thanks Gerald. That’s the problem I’m having as far as seeing coolant.  The original tank is too opaque to see the coolant level and to add coolant, the bed has has to be removed for access.  So mount the additional recovery tank to a more accessible place, run a tube from original tank overflow spout to new tank?  Should I add some coolant to new tank just for good measure?

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2020, 06:29:06 PM »
Adam,
Here's a photo of my set-up. These tanks are from Auto Zone. As Gerald noted you will need 2 or you will lose coolant as the expansion volume is too much for one tank to hold. Just tie them together in parallel so both fill at the same time. I've got a view port on my replacement surge tank so the coolant level is such that the expansion tanks are empty when the engine is cold and about 1/2 full when at operating temp.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp