Author Topic: Icemaker.....repair/replace???  (Read 1928 times)

John Ziomek

• BAC Member
Icemaker.....repair/replace???
« on: May 30, 2020, 06:07:31 PM »
Howdy fellow Beaverites...
Through the generosity of the knowledge provided by fellow members I recently was able to isolate an electrical issue we were having.

The problem turned out to be the icemaker in our Dometic frig, when plugged in after a few minutes it would trip the breaker, unplugged and problem resolved...lol

Been scouring the internet for possible solutions to trying to troubleshoot the icemaker......nothing on troubleshooting....just replacement.....if you can find one.

My question to those of you who have gone through this`:  try and repair?  If so,  where to start. Or replace?

Any suggestions/advice greatly appreciated. 

FYI... one of our knowledgeable members, Joel, has already reached out to me with reference to a video on how to replace....thanks Joel, much appreciated!!!

Let me know what you did.....

JZ
2006 Beaver Monterey 40'

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Icemaker.....repair/replace???
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2020, 06:42:44 PM »
John,
If it were me, I'd pull the existing unit and see if I could repair it. With it tripping the breaker, it's probably something obvious (good news) but also probably fatal if the short cooked something (bad news). In any case, if you can't fix it you had to remove it anyway. You might want to check with the various RV salvage yards for a replacement before hitting ebay, etc. FYI, my wife and I seldom use our ice maker as we fill the container up with a bag of ice on departure. That way I don't have to worry about water damage when the water line develops a leak.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: John Ziomek

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Re: Icemaker.....repair/replace???
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2020, 09:18:46 PM »
  John, here is the sequence of events and probable cause:
 1- built in thermostat determines that there is ice in the harvester
 2- the mold heater is activated and the motor starts to rotate the harvester fingers
 3- the mold heater has caused the ice cubes to loosen just enough to move
 4- the bail wire arm has lifted to clear the fingers to push the ice out into a container
 5- just as fingers stop moving, water solenoid opens for 5 seconds to refill tray
 6- bail wire arm has returned to harvest position. If ice has prevented the arm from lowering, harvesting is discontinued.
   If there is no ice in the cube mold and the sequence has begun, the mold heater can overheat and eventually cause a short between the heating element and the mold casting. You can ohm check the heater lead to ground to prove the failure.
I'm with Steve, a bag of ice in the storage bin far cheaper than a new harvester assembly. hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6
The following users thanked this post: John Ziomek