Author Topic: New Ask Dave Article on Engine Coolant  (Read 3181 times)

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
New Ask Dave Article on Engine Coolant
« on: June 13, 2020, 10:00:55 PM »
Just added an Ask Dave article on Engine Coolant.  It can be found under Cooling System in Ask Dave on the Private Members Only board. It provides some interesting reading for those of us who have changed from Ethylene Glycol (green stuff) to ELC.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: Stan Simpson

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
Re: New Ask Dave Article on Engine Coolant
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2020, 03:05:06 AM »
Thanks Steve, I'm one who had the coolant changed to ELC and the filter removed.  I guess I should start thinking about changing back? 
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2020, 05:20:23 AM »
Jerry,
My personal opinion is rather than change back, I'd have CAT do a  coolant analysis every so often to monitor metal content. An oil analysis won't tell you anything about coolant contamination unless coolant is getting into the oil. There have been a lot of radiator problems but many of those may be due to a combination of ELC and the AL radiators Monaco used for a few years. I can't argue with Dave's advice to run what it came with but on the other hand there a lot of us who have converted to ELC with no reported problems. Keep in mind that the coach manufacturer supplied the radiator and coolant and green is a lot cheaper than red. In any case, in the final analysis, guess it's up to what you feel comfortable with.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2020, 01:59:32 PM »
   Just what I didn't need, something else that was self induced. I thought I was being prudent. I flushed the cooling system 5 times with hose water and the 6th time with distilled water before adding the ELC. Now it is in the back of my head that I will have a radiator leak. This covid crap gives you too much time to think! Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6
The following users thanked this post: Jerry Emert

Mike Shumack

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2020, 04:42:49 PM »
i'm confused by Dave's article.
Everyone has been recommending changing to the Extended Life Coolant (ELC). Even the CAT publication Dave provided the link to (in my understanding) recommends ELC (see snippet below).

So is CAT now saying this recommendation only applies to "newer" engines, and what is considered "newer (2008+)?
What year engines came with ELC as a factory fill?

When did CAT change there position on this (or did everyone just misinterpret CAT's recommendation to "use ELC on all year CAT engines".)? Maybe CAT learned something about the older engines and ELC and revised their earlier recommendation (hence the Service Bulletin).

Does anyone have a link to (or copy of) the Service Bulletin mentioned in Dave's article to share?
The following users thanked this post: Jerry Emert

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2020, 05:52:55 PM »
Its my understanding that there hasn't been a 'new' on-road CAT engine in any Beaver, since the last one rolled off the assembly line in 2009 or thereabouts. That makes any CAT in a Beaver at least 11 years old. My local CAT dealer suggested I switch to ELC three years ago, which we did. If he has some Service Bulletins that say otherwise, I'd like to see them.   No, I haven't done any coolant analysis.
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2020, 08:06:24 PM »
Gentlemen, hold on yes I will provide you with the information as I have stated and yes this pertains Caterpillar and Cummins engines
Starting back 2002. I will send everything to Steve Huber where he can post info. The problem started with many entry’s with Motorhomes
heating and derate issues but never loss of coolant.. Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic
The following users thanked this post: Jerry Emert, Fred Brooks, Bill Lampkin

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2020, 02:57:00 PM »
Mike, thank you now you have some what idea as to changing times that bring about new problems
with older motorhomes. Steve has done a very excellent presentation combining 30 plus pages of
technical information that has caused many unanswered questions over several years failure analysis.
One thing I cannot stress enough in our changing times is the first line of defense the taking of Oil
Sampling and Coolant Sampling. Problems within our cooling system and understanding where the
and what may be triggering heating is answer within the oil and coolant sample particle count. Yes
Mike information posted is not only talking about just a coolant level sensor but also relates to buying
non OEM parts from part stores or online price for price reduction, such as Coolant Regulator, Water
Pumps etc. if you have ever attended on of the seminars that I put on for many RV groups there is
a display of failed Non-OEM parts from engine cooling systems that relates to this Cooling system
article Steve has posted for our membership. Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic