Author Topic: Black tank question  (Read 6458 times)

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
Re: Black tank question
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2020, 10:52:29 PM »
Jason
Usually a clog or back up is located at the drain valve itself and most often caused by a leaking drain valve allowing the liquid run slowly leak by leaving the solids behind at the valve resulting in a dam of solids behind the valve.
There are clear dump elbows with spray nozzles which spray back into the dump valves but there effectiveness depends on the distance back to the valve and wheather or not there are and elbows or turns in the dump piping as most have.
By leaving your dump cap off and running water into the black tank with the dump valve closed you should see no water come out of the dump piping if you do the black water valve seals are leaking and should be replaced.
If no leak keep flushing until you get it clean .
I've found over the years that the flush wands you put on a hose and stick down the toilet work as well as anything for the tough ones or the hose up the dump pipe but that's messy .
As for chemicals I don't use any of the fancy stuff as I have never had odor issues as others have suggested put a gallon or two of water in the tank after dumping to create a wet bottom so the solids don't dry out and stick and of course to cover them so they don't drink.
Again when I feel the need for chemicals believe it or not I use a half cup of fabric softener it coats the tank and helps those nasty solids slide right out but the most important parts is to keep an inch or two of water in the bottom of the tank if your like me my gray water tank is always the first to fill up anyway so that extra water in the black tank is ok.
Another trick is to dump your black tank then raise your dump hose up about a foot and with the black valve open then open the gray valve this runs gray water back into the black tank then close the gray and lower the hose to allow black to dump once more if timed right you can get three or four good flushes on your black tank before you good ahead and dump all the gray. Then fallow up with the tank rinse I find this works better than the tank rinser because of the water volume.
Hope some of this helps
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Jason Worman

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2020, 01:01:08 AM »
Eric,
Thanks for the advice, dump valve is not leaking,  so will do another good flush, have had no problems until recently, only change is with summer here, have not had to drive much to refill propane tank, which means the tank doesn't slosh around.
Thanks,

Jason Worman

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2020, 01:09:04 AM »
So Jason, I know its tough sledding on the Oregon Coast around Coos Bay; Must be about 62-66 today, and in the winter, it drops to what, 56? You've got it made, so enjoy!
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Jason Worman

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2020, 02:14:14 AM »
Bill,

We get a lot of rain here, but when it's good it is really good! Supposed to be high 60's and sunny all week. Feel free to stop by and spend a day or two with us, will show you the sights.

Jason

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2020, 02:17:40 AM »
We're basking in the clouds and t-storms in Whitefish MT, but will be on the Oregon coast in late July; might take you up on the tour offer!
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Jason Worman

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2020, 02:38:04 AM »
Whitefish is beautiful, lived 8 years in Missoula, got tired of the snow and cold
The following users thanked this post: Bill Lampkin