Author Topic: Generator Question  (Read 2226 times)

Gary Curtis

• BAC Member
Generator Question
« on: June 19, 2020, 01:20:15 PM »
I was running the generator and turned on the battery charger and charged the house batteries. Things seemed normal

I turned on the A/C units and the generator seemed to run normal and then slow in RPM for a few seconds and run normal again (maybe fuel Issue).

I plugged in an 120VAC powered Dremel tool into a socket located in the first cargo, bay passenger side (while running the A/C units) and the Dremel tool would run, stop for 20 to 30 seconds and start again (sort of a 60% to 50% duty cycle).

I turned on the A/C units and turned on the DC battery charger to charge the house batteries and the Charger began it's "Power up Test" but before it would get to the battery charge point the charger lost power and started to re initialize the "Power Up Test".

I turned off the A/C units and turned the DC Battery Charger back on and it charged the batteries like normal. The Generator RPM was constant - no pausing.

I have owned the Beav a few months so everything is new to me.

Is this normal operation for a generator?
Could there be a problem with the fuel?
Is the Generator/Shore Power Transfer switch dropping out?

Gary & Bonnie Curtis (Cincinnati, OH)
2007 Beaver Patriot Thunder - Hanover 44    #043155
CAT C-13, 525HP, Alison 4000MH
Towing 2019 Tesla M3 (Sparkie)

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
Re: Generator Question
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2020, 01:47:27 PM »
Gary, my generator starts and runs at a constant rpm.  I don't notice any changes in rpm while adding loads.  I have a Magnum inverter and the charger turns on automatically when it has power.  I can turn it off but don't except maybe when on 30 amp power somewhere to run an AC unit.  The transfer switch is pretty much an on/off device, it will not fade in and out.  Does any of this happen on shore power?  Right now it sounds like a generator issue.  If you had an excessive load somewhere it would pop a breaker.  Good luck.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH
The following users thanked this post: Gary Curtis

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2020, 02:44:54 PM »
Gary,
If your generator is noticeably changing engine speed while running, you have a generator problem. The Onan 10K and 12.5K generators are a constant speed generator that is designed to operate at a constant 1800 RPM. This RPM setting is necessary for them to produce a 60 cycle AC sign wave current. This is unlike the Onan 7.5K and 8K generators that are constantly varying in RPMs with their load, because they are actually a DC generator that produces 60 cycle AC with a built in inverter.

Gerald 
The following users thanked this post: Gary Curtis

Gary Curtis

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2020, 01:20:10 PM »
Thanks Jerry/Gerald,

So far I have not been able to plug into shore power. I hope things work well when I do. I am planning a trip at the end of July so I hope to test out those features at that time.

I'll start looking at the generator now that I have a focus. Mine is the 10KW Onan. I'll start by doing the annual maintenance and see if that helps.
Gary & Bonnie Curtis (Cincinnati, OH)
2007 Beaver Patriot Thunder - Hanover 44    #043155
CAT C-13, 525HP, Alison 4000MH
Towing 2019 Tesla M3 (Sparkie)