Author Topic: Slideout adjustment  (Read 19890 times)

Jim Shaw

Slideout adjustment
« on: June 07, 2011, 06:07:08 PM »
Went to put my main slide in, and found it was out of adjustment and hitting the side of the coach at the rear of the slide. This is the front slide on the drivers side. It is hyd. not electric. There are two main beams that the slide is bolted to. Any ideas on how to adjust it?
Thanks, Jim
2003 Monterey
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 07:56:05 PM by 14 »

George Harwell

Re: Slideout adjustment
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 09:07:19 PM »

Jim, there is a shaft that connects to the gear tracks. The shaft is square, large going to the front gear and small to the rear that slips inside the front shaft and held in place by a bolt,washer and selflocking nut. Once you get the shaft split go to the aft gear and find the stub with the 3/4 bolt head.You can adjust the aft end of the room in or out to match the front then reconnect the shaft. Make sure the two shaft bolt holes are aligned before reconnecting them. the bolt will not go back in if not aligned. On my 03 Monterey the Bend boys disconnected the room, squared all the track drive gears, then mounted the room using new holes, spacers, etc. Been good since 04. Good luck!

Jim Shaw

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 11:35:57 PM »
Thanks George, the slide seems to go in even. The problem is, that it is hitting on the back side of the coach when it is almost in. It looks like it needs to be raised at the back, and maybe lower at the front to square it up.  Not even sure that I can do it, but I did get the bearing changed in the rear slide.
Jim
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 05:33:02 AM by 14 »

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 12:09:53 AM »
Jim,
I think that you coach has the design rollers on the inside of the slide were the outer layer of the roller fails and makes the roller to small in diameter. This allows the slide to drop enough to cause an alignment problem.

If your coach has this type of roller, you can depress the spring-loaded pin in the end of the roller to remove it and press a piece of schedule 40 PVC pipe onto the roller to restore the diameter. That will correct you alignment problem.

Gerald

P.S. I am glad that you were able to replace the bedroom slide bearing.

Jim Shaw

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 12:54:18 AM »
I believe I need to pass this one on. The coach was parked in the drive with the air out and jacks down to level the coach. Wife was cleaning for a trip and asked if she could put the front main slide out, I said sure, no problem. The next day I went to put the slide in and it hit on the back side tearing up the slide lock. I removed the lock and in a panic loosened bolts and jack the back side of the slide up and finally got it in although not square. Told her we would go on the trip, but not put the slide out. After raising the jacks and air up we left. When we arrived at the campground the slide looked square so over wife's objections I put it out and back in twice and it was fine. A word to the wise is to follow Beavers instructions and put the slides out before you dump the air and level the coach although I had done it before with no problem. Guess I was just lucky. Hope this helps someone.
Jim

George Harwell

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 03:04:54 AM »

Thanks Jim, glad to hear that it was a simple repair. We all learn something new every day. Enjoy your travels!

Gil_Johnson

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 05:02:34 PM »
Jim, I know you have first hand experience, but I still can't drink that kool-aid.  I suspect your leveling jacks didn't have the coach fully level or you have a system with only 3 jacks.  I just can't help believing my coach isn't closer to being fully in rack while being leveled than when just parked.  I can tell you that my air leveling system has a warning that tells me when its not able to maintain ride adjustment due to severely unlevel ground.  Although I've only seen this come on once, I don't think the manual warns against using the slides when that warning is on.  Maybe, the slides have a safety interlock when this warning is on, but I doubt it.

Gil
08 Contessa

marty christensen

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 12:23:56 AM »
Jim, I agree with Gil, my slides work much smoother after the coach has been leveled.  I also have air leveling, but I really do not think it matters.  A Monaco tech told me years ago slides are first in (leaving the campsite) and last out (setting up at a campsite).  That seems to be working for us.  

Marty Christensen
08 Contessa

Jim Shaw

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 03:45:45 AM »
I do not have air leveling and I do have the three jack system. I agree that having the coach level should not be a problem and have put the slides out and in before with it leveled without a problem, but I will not do it again. On mine there is a decal that states to put out the slides before leveling. What do most people do???
Jim

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 07:02:26 AM »
You may want to check the thread "Air Dump" by Mel Griffin 12/1/2010.  A Beaver tech that installed the slides told me, they adjust the slides in the factory with jacks up and full ride height air up.  If you move the slides with the jacks down and air out, you risk torquing the slide mechanism.  I always follow the instructions printed on the dash.

Keith Oliver

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 03:15:35 PM »
Like Jim.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2011, 04:48:42 PM »
I have both air leveling and a four jack hydraulic leveling system, and I always extend slides with the jacks up and the suspension aired up to travel height. I seldom use jacks, but when I do you can watch the clearance change on the living room slide as the coach levels. The smaller bedroom slide does not seem to change enough to make any difference, but the 16 foot opening for the living room slide will move enough to cause damage if the slide is operated.

When the coach is air leveled, it does not flex as much as it does on jacks and the clearance does not change for the living room slide as much, however the clearance can change enough to make operating the slide ill advised.

Gerald  

Gil_Johnson

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2011, 09:07:45 PM »
Gerald, it's hard to disagree with you given your years of experience.  So let me only suggest that it you see changes in the slide out positions when the air leveling system is in the level position it's because in the ride position the coach was slightly out of rack.  The ride position is not intended to true the frame where leveling position is.  Of course, this assumes the leveling system is working as it should.

If I had a 3 jack system I would definately not operate the slides with the jacks down.  A 3 jack system can not possibly keep the frame in rack in all cases--if any.

Gil

George Harwell

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2011, 10:07:07 PM »

Since the main slideout on my 03 Monterey travels comfortably with the air bags inflated to the travel mode it makes sense to move the room in/out with the coach in travel configuration. I was taught to park,extend the slides , dump the air bags, then level with the 3 point jacks. I have the HWH air leveling now so all I have to do now is park, extend the rooms and hit the button for air leveling. No more jacks grounding the coach, just sitting on rubber when the thunderstorms arrive. According to my 03 Monterey owners manual page 5-183 the last step under the title TO EXTEND THE SLIDE-OUT ROOM is LEVEL THE MOTORHOME WITH THE LEVELING SYSTEM. As I have said, this pertains to the 03 Monterey, so the saga over coach slideout rooms continues. Happy travels!

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2011, 04:53:36 PM »
Have been following all the comments being made here, and I have to say, that if the Beaver techs and Gerald (with all his infinite wisdom) advise putting the slides in/out at ride height level, my opinion is, FOLLOW THAT ADVICE.  To think you can skirt around it and not eventually have problems, is foolish.  Friends of mine with non-Beaver coaches all tell me that they are told to level first then extend slides.  I just cringe at this.  I can't believe that all other coaches mechanisms are all that different.  I guess I am just to logically oriented to think otherwise.

Oh well, that is my opinion, and and I'm sticking to it.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 11:48:24 PM by 14 »