Author Topic: Drag link  (Read 3502 times)

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Drag link
« on: July 06, 2020, 06:13:53 PM »
Drag link froze up on one end.  Checked with several shops close to us but went to Source Engineering in Veneta Or.  They had to build a new one and the other shops would have gotten it from them anyway.
Done on time and priced right!
Great job,
Thanks Jim and Scott
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Mike Shumack

Re: Drag link
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2020, 06:29:04 PM »
How did you discover the problem?
Was it found on a routine inspection, or did your Coach wander/pull to one side, or have excessive steering wheel play?

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2020, 06:42:51 PM »
Mike
We have a Steer Safe and inspite of that the coach wandered and tracked the ruts on the Interstates.  The steering wheel would move from 10 to 2 without effect on steering.
An inspection was done last summer with a video that showed the ends about to pop off when steering.
We havent driven the coach yet but the old unit was sad indeed.  Seems one end was missed when lube was done.
Build and install new drag link
LOF
Replace electronic shock (used, labor only)
Inspect Steer Safe
Inspect and proper lube front hubs

All   P &L under 2K
Assuming it drives out OK I am happy!
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Mike Shumack

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2020, 07:50:29 PM »
Thanks for the follow up.
Regarding "the Coach's tendency to following ruts", as you may know, the more weight on the front tires (without exceeding the tire/axle capacities) the better the Coach drives and handles on the highway. A couple of pounds difference on the Tag Axle air pressure adjustment makes a big difference to handling (at least on my Coach).
Good luck.
The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2020, 03:41:17 PM »
So  give us a driving report, already!
Glad you got Zola to the Dr, having that drag link fail would be a disaster!
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2020, 09:50:04 PM »
Prior to replacing the drag link the coach would wander in the lane even on straight and level.  We only drove 150 miles yesterday but see a marked improvement.  I am so used to the wandering that part of the new wandering might be driver error.  Mostly it is straight and true at highway speed.
I believe the tag is set to 27 pounds.  I have not changed that.  How would one know if it was too high?  Get it weighed again?
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Mike Shumack

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2020, 10:01:32 PM »
I run my Tag Air pressure at 35-40psi when not carrying the motorcycle and 45psi with the Bike.
I found that 40 is about the sweet spot. Of course it depends on how much weight your carrying and the distribution of the weight too.

I went to "Smart Weigh" and had the Coach weighed (each tire set weighed separately) so I would know for sure how to distribute the weight and get the correct tire air pressures, and Tag Axle pressure. I did the weighing with and without the motorcycle on the back carrier, and then I was able to increase the Tag air while weighing the front wheels to get the most weight up front (within 10% of max axle capacity).

Gerald Farris

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2020, 10:15:49 PM »
Keith,
The only proper way to set the tag air pressure is by weighting the coach, preferable making the adjustment while still on the scales. Any excess pressure in the tag adjustment will add too much weight to the front axle, and since most Beavers have very little capacity to spare when it comes to the front axle, you need to be cautious. When you add weight to the tag axle, weight comes off of the drive axle, but some weight transfers to the front, and it becomes a balancing act if you have a very heavy coach. On my coach, i have to run just over 11,000 lbs. on the tag to get the drivers under 23,000 lbs. and that gives me over 17,000 lbs. on the front axle. This leaves me with very little room for compromise as you can see.

Gerald   
The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett