Author Topic: Running hot  (Read 1776 times)

Lawrence Tarnoff

Running hot
« on: July 12, 2020, 11:17:46 PM »
So what are the top temps for safe running for engine and trans?  Last time out in 70 degree weather engine was at 184 and trans about 180.  On a longer trip in the heat of summer last year the engine temp got up to around 220.  We're heading out on an 1100 mile excursion in a few weeks and there is a heat wave forecast.  Five years into this coach and I should know this stuff, but I've reached that age where if I did know it, I can't remember that I know it :)

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Running hot
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2020, 12:22:01 AM »
Lawrence,
I think you've got an ISC350 in your coach. The following is based on my experience with a 3126B rear radiator coach. From what you related, it sounds like you probably have a 185-190F thermostat as that is the temperature range you indicated running at mild outdoor temperatures and on a relatively flat road. Your coach has a rear radiator so your fan is driven directly off the engine and thus its rotation speed is linked to engine RPM. Cruising in 6th on a level road with minimal headwind and moderate outdoor temps, 185+- a few degrees sounds normal. Add a headwind and outdoor temps around 100F you will notice the engine temp climb to the mid 190s or above. Downshift to 5th to increase engine, fan, and water pump RPM and you will see engine temp moderate. Grade climbing will also raise temps quickly. Climbing a steep grade in summer temps can result in a check engine or over temp condition. I'm not sure about the ISC350, but my CAT 3126B alarmed at about 225 if I remember correctly. Key to climbing grades with a direct drive fan is engine RPM. I would take the coach out of cruise control, apply increased throttle and downshift as needed to keep the RPM close to 2000. Watch your engine temp on the Aladdin or Silverleaf and downshift accordingly. Don't worry about speed. Leave the tranny in the lower gear until speed reaches a point where the tranny wants to upshift. Then go up 1 gear. only. Your goal is to manage engine temperature, not speed.
So, IMHO normal temps would probably run 185-193. Climbing you'll see 195-205/210 depending on outside temps. If you get to 220 you are getting very close to an overheat condition.
Climbing with side radiator coaches is different as then you want to manage engine torque since the fan speed is driven by a hydraulic motor and not the engine.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: Bob Disney

Lawrence Tarnoff

Re: Running hot
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2020, 07:05:24 PM »
Thank you, Steve, for the thoughtful and comprehensive response!