Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Technical Support / Re: C9 CAT t'stat housing frozen bolt
« Last post by Carl Boger on Today at 12:08:57 AM »
Don,

I have to agree with Eric that heat is probably your best bet.  Since that is impractical right now try a can of freeze out along with numerous shocks to the bolt head with a hammer, or rocking action with a small impact going in forward and reverse multiple times to hopefully break it loose.

You may have to do this numerous times and it may or may not work.   If you get to the point that the bolt breaks I have had decent luck drilling them out with left twist drill bits after leveling and center punching the shaft.  Hopefully you won't get to that point.

Hopefully this will help you or at least give you some ideas.
Technical Support / Re: C9 CAT t'stat housing frozen bolt
« Last post by Eric Maclean on July 26, 2024, 09:57:45 PM »
Don
Heat is your best bet
The next thing to try now that you have got penetrateing oil into the bolt hopefully into the threads is to beat on the head of the bolt to try and free the seized bolt by jaring and shacking the rust loose.
The shank of the bolt is likely frozen in the housing so heating the housing area around the bolt and beating on it may do the trick.
If you break the bolt you may have to weld a nut to the remainder to extract it.

Eric
Technical Support / C9 CAT t'stat housing frozen bolt
« Last post by Don Colapietro on July 26, 2024, 07:23:51 PM »
Hi everyone, I'm having a real problem with a frozen bolt on the t'stat housing on my C9 Cat. 5 out of the 6 came loose, but #6, middle, left side won't budge. I've drilled a 7/64 hole into the housing at the edge of the washer to the shank of the bolt and have been spraying Free All penetrant for several days with no luck. Can't get at the block to try heating it with a torch without pulling the A/C compressor. had a severe overheating problem on the way out to Hungry Horse Mt, so I really need to change them. any suggestions? Thanks, Don Colapietro  239 940 6199 '06 Monterey
Added to Service Providers guide
Recently we had great service from 2 truck repair locations in Mount Vernon,  Washington. NC Machinery  a Cat dealer installed a Breather Assembly and did  a valve lash and Motor Truck International dealer installed a new Pac Brake. If you are in the area feel confident you are in good hands.
General Discussion / Re: First RV-less Trip
« Last post by Eric Maclean on July 26, 2024, 12:08:54 PM »
Steve
It's good to see you are continuing to travel and explore even if it's without a home on wheels.
I don't think many people understand that life on the road has an allure all of its own and once you've caught the bug it's hard to stop.
I hope you continue to enjoy your travels for many years.

Eric
Technical Support / Re: 2006 Monterey Check Engine Light
« Last post by Steve Huber Co-Admin on July 26, 2024, 12:03:39 AM »
Not too tough. Attached location diagram should help.
Steve
General Discussion / Re: First RV-less Trip
« Last post by Joel Ashley on July 25, 2024, 10:47:31 PM »
👍🏻 😉
Technical Support / Re: 2006 Monterey Check Engine Light
« Last post by Richard Davis on July 25, 2024, 09:56:15 PM »
Thanks Steve!
I have ordered the updated sensor with new O-ring.  Did you change it yourself?  I am in a National Forest campground and will have to do it myself.  I hope to not have any problems.
Richard
General Discussion / First RV-less Trip
« Last post by Steve Huber Co-Admin on July 25, 2024, 06:14:12 PM »
Just got back from our first multi day (2 week) “RV-less” trip since 2005, running just over 2800 miles. It was nice to be able to stop wherever we wanted w/o having to find a place to park. The Tundra provided a smooth ride and did 16+ mpg running 75+-. We had to stop more but it was a good chance to stretch. Driving comfort was good as it was much easier to maneuver. Downsides included having to unload and load luggage each stopover. Overall cost was slightly less compared to the RV as motel and food costs ate up any fuel savings. IMHO the RV was a much more convenient way to travel but not having to deal with all the little (and large) issues that can occur on and after a trip seem to balance things out.
Steve
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10