Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
Technical Support / Re: Mice urine neutralizer suggestions ? Black tank area
« Last post by Joel Ashley on December 03, 2021, 08:42:33 PM »
I have used Febreze but I’m not sure which smell is worse, the original problem or the Febreze… it doesn’t dissipate.  Nowadays I use a small ozone unit.  Of course you need to remove any droppings and dead bodies first.  There are lots of models available, but I use and like the Airthereal MA5000.  It doesn’t take long in such small areas, and it is small enough to fit in most bays, and is simple to use.  If one use doesn’t quite do the job, just leave it in there longer a second time.  You just have to follow the manual’s safety advisories, but for a bay that’s relatively inconsequential.

Joel
Technical Support / Re: Lost shore power
« Last post by Fred Brooks on December 03, 2021, 08:21:34 PM »
    Mike,
 It is beginning to look like your house batteries are not being charged. That black solenoid you inquired about is the battery boost solenoid. When you push the switch at the driver's console that has picture of a battery on it, it energizes that solenoid and combines the house and chassis batteries for a boost when starting in cold weather.
   Forget trying to use the 6volt battery charger. Purchase a Schumaker 50 amp 12volt battery charger and charge the whole bank. Hopefully the batteries will come back to 12volts. If the batteries smell like rotten eggs when charging, they are sulfated and are junk. Hope this helps, Fred
Technical Support / Re: Strang hand crank
« Last post by David T. Richelderfer on December 03, 2021, 07:01:49 PM »
Does your coach have a couple of Girard awnings?  If so, then it's a manual open/close crank for the awning/s.  Near the front of the closed awnings you should see a hole/gap with an attachment for the end of the crank.  I have never used our crank but I have noted that wasps like to build nests inside the awnings where that hole/gap is located.

Technical Support / Re: Strang hand crank
« Last post by Richard Davis on December 03, 2021, 06:58:42 PM »
That should have been "throw it away".  I hate it when Autocorrect takes my typo's and changes it something else entirely.
Technical Support / Strang hand crank
« Last post by Richard Davis on December 03, 2021, 06:55:50 PM »
When I purchased my '06 Monterey 5 years ago, I found a long shaft hand crank in one of the storage bays.  I "assumed" I would eventually find what it's purpose is.  I have found no purpose for it on this coach.  I am hesitant to through it away considering Murphy's law that as soon as I do, I will need it.  Does anyone recognize this (see picture) and can tell me what is for.
Thanks!  Richard
Thanks Dave.
Glad to hear your prognosis. I'm changing the oil this weekend, then I retest next year after putting a couple of thousand more miles on her.
Happy Holidays.
Technical Support / Mice urine neutralizer suggestions ? Black tank area
« Last post by Jeffrey Antonelli on December 03, 2021, 03:41:55 PM »
Hello mates,

I have begun tackling my wet bay restoration project, inspired by member Eric MacLean changing my water rotted panel and bottom sill with the drain and access hole. When I got the panel out I got my flashlight out and saw under the black  and grey tanks looked like rodent debris maybe from chewing? An odor was present I am guessing was from mice urine, and a dead mouse. It did not look like it was dead for a very long time.

I can’t reach into this space to clean it out perfectly as I’d like even if I wore a full hazmat suit. So I am wondering about spraying into this large area. Maybe with a 50-50 solution of bleach and water. There is no way I can tell for any mass of liquid to escape, so I am wondering what the most effective spray would be to use, that will dry and not hurt the plastic tanks, plywood cribbing I can see supporting the tanks, and anything else in there I cannot see.

When ai bough this RV, a 1996 Patriot, one year ago I saw several vey old dead mice in the regular part of the basement area. I cleaned the whole carpeting floor in there with my carpet cleaner upholstery attachment, using a solution of Folex, some bleach, and water. The results were satisfactory but I obviously cannot so this in the middle of the Coach where the black and grey tanks are!

Jeff Antonelli
Mike, yes high copper is nothing to worry about and most cases coming from engine oil cooler.
Would suggest running and take another oil sample at 3,000 miles. There is a suction that
BlackStone sells and the plastic tube to put down your dip stick tube that oil sample bottle connect
Into suction gun. Just remember when using suction gun and plastic tubing to measure your dip
Stick and make the plastic tube about 4 inches longer than dip stick ( this will prevent from pulling
warm oil from bottom of oil pan.) Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic
« Last post by Eric Maclean on December 03, 2021, 01:28:06 PM »
Mike
The breaker panel on the ceiling of the bay is the inverter output panel the inverter has is powered by a 30 amp breaker in the main coach panel when connected to shore power through that 30 amp breaker the power is used by the inverter to run the internal battery charger and it also has a relay which passes the 30 amps through to feed that panel in the bay known as a passthrough relay. When the inverter is not on shore power the passthrough relay switches to connect the inverter to the bay panel so that when the inverter is turned on (is using 12 volts to invert into 120 volts ) the inverter power is feed to the coach circuits via that same bay mounted breaker panel.

Mike there is a troubleshooting manual in the coach assist section for the Esco transfer switch under misc.

The PLM-50 is the ( surge protector and electrical management system)  EMS I spoke of earlier.
Unfortunately that company is no longer in business and I can't find any info on there unit so if it is dead you will have to replace it with a newer sty!e system .
I assume your coach does not have the Aldin coach monitoring systems as I thing they weren't needed unit later years.

Hope this helps
Eric
« Last post by Mike Sulley on December 03, 2021, 10:14:45 AM »
Gentlemen thank you for all your ideas.  But no joy today.
I spent a couple hours today crawling around the curbside bays next to the battery bay taking pictures of the different assemblies.

I again checked the 150’ SO cord 240v 50 amp receptacle with the circuit tester.  It shows it to be wired correctly center blade ( white wire) common, outer two blades ( black and a red wire) 122v and 124 v respectively to the white common.  Same voltages between red and black wires to ground(green wire).

Fred, I visually checked the two 5 amp fuses on the latching solenoid.  The fuse contacts need a little cleaning but they don’t appear to be blown.  The solenoid is similar to the one in your picture.  I was confused because it is labeled both house and chassis.  Is this solenoid that is supposed to be activated by the “ Salesman switch”?  I tried jumpering the two lugs at 3:00 and 9:00 o’clock but nothing happened.  I measured the voltage at each lug to ground and read 3.68volts..  Coincidentally, that was also about the voltage of the total of the three banks of two 6 volt house batteries  measured the combined output voltage to ground.  While I was there I visually checked what appear to be fuses between the two lugs on either side of the solenoid.  I believe one is labeled house and the other is labeled chassis.  What is the black cylinder to the right of the solenoid?

I went looking for the Surge Guard transfer switch, only to fine an Esco ES50 Volt Transfer automatic generator/ shoreline transfer switch (ES50M-65N).  Two gray boxes each about 12” square hanging from the ceiling.  I couldn’t open either box because I didn’t bring a stubby Phillips screw driver.  And a long skinny gray box labeled RV Electronics (PLM-50A) power line monitor with a large black cable running in and out hanging on the inside wall.  Īs this part of the house voltage monitoring system?  Does anyone have a picture on the insides of he transfer boxes.

I also found a smaller breaker box with 4 breakers hanging from the ceiling.  A 30 amp main, a 15 amp micro, and two 20 amp breakers one labeled galley and one labeled lights, entert, misc, and recept.  I didn’t mess with these today.  None look tripped, but a couple have a little red showing, so I will rock them tomorrow.

I left two 6v trickle chargers on two sets of house batteries when I left.  So maybe we will have enough voltage to do some good tomorrow.

Respectfully,
Mike Sulley

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10