Author Topic: mounting crossfire tire equalization unit  (Read 4962 times)

Ricky Coon

mounting crossfire tire equalization unit
« on: March 05, 2017, 03:00:30 AM »
Hello, I have a 1995 beaver marquis and want to install my new crossfire tire equalization system. Not sure the best way to mount the head unit to the chrome center cap, any thoughts. Thanks

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Re: mounting crossfire tire equalization unit
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 06:12:47 AM »
Ricky
Our Marquis had the cross fires.  The core unit was screwed to a bracket and mounted on the center hat of the wheel.  This has to be placed so the air flex lines can travel to the valve stem in as short a length as possible.  Too long and the air hoses slap when traveling.  Too short and they have to streatch to reach.  This causes the line to work back and forth or rub on the hole through the wheel.  Be sure they are the correct air pressure for your rig by weight of the vehicle.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Edward Buker

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 02:07:37 PM »
Ricky and Keith,

I never quite understood the wisdom of this system. It is a lot of exterior plumbing that is at risk on the road to try and solve an equalization problem (I think) that in my line of thinking is really a non problem. It is easy enough to keep your tires properly inflated to within +/- 2 pounds of each other which is sufficient. The only reason tires would have a significant offset in pressure over time is due to leaking air and this system would not solve this issue. I know there is some claim about the inside tire being warmer on the road due to brake heat absorption but in my travels and monitoring of tire heat I never saw much difference in temp between the inner and outer tire. If there was some improvement in wear properties using this system, it would be hard to realize given we never wear out our tires anyway, they reach the age limit long before that.

This is just opinion after having steel braided flexible lines to the outer hub and changing over to the rigid lines with the rubber grommet in the outer wheel pass through. It always bothered me that you could never see the ageing of the rubber flex line below the braid for inspection. That being said I used Wheelmaster brand lines and never had a fail with them. To my way of thinking the rigid lines with the grommet support is probably the best solution regarding not having a catastrophic loss of air due to failure of a component and having an easy way to maintain tire pressure.

This is probably a good subject to toss around and see what the member base experience has been with all the rear wheel air systems.

Later Ed

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 02:38:29 PM »
IMHO I'm in Ed's ballpark, more connections, hoses and points to leak air. Plus you have all this hardware hanging on a tin hub cap. I have always used the manual method to check tires, back in the day all we had was a tool to bump the tires and you go by sound, now I use a infrared temp gun and thump the tires. I always try and check the tires every two or three hours.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 02:18:57 AM by Steve Huber Co-Admin »

Bill Sprague

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 04:47:41 PM »
One day I was bored and had some spare parts.  I put together a piece of air hose with two clamping air chucks.  With it I could connect both tires for a few minutes and they would equalize.  On another boring day I found a "T" and a schrader valve to insert in the hose.  I could "service" both duals at once!

I used it once or twice and no longer remember where I lost it.   

Ricky Coon

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 10:26:16 PM »
Thanks for your input Keith you actually answered the question. Respectfully Rick
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 02:43:54 AM by Steve Huber Co-Admin »

Marty and Suzie Schenck

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 10:49:10 PM »
Ricky,  In my opinion, with over 30 years as a truck driver, you are asking for trouble. Again, only an opinion and not trying to be rude. Marty
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 02:44:57 AM by Steve Huber Co-Admin »

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2017, 11:51:41 PM »
I've seen to many tire fires on trucks and trailers and a couple of motor homes caused by under inflated or flat tires. I've had a lot of flat tires through the years but never a tire fire, I've had recap tires just unwind in the desert heat. Run the south west LA to Dallas and the highway is littered with tire parts and pieces. Did you ever wonder what that burnt spot alongside the highway was from, more than likely a tire fire caused by some driver that didn't stop to check his tires.
Equalized tire pressures is not the cure, check you equipment, get out and walk around it keeping your eyes and ears open for signs of "hey that doesn't seem right" or "what is that smell" Just saying been there done that.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 02:45:48 AM by Steve Huber Co-Admin »

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 12:08:52 AM »
Ricky, When I purchased my 2001 Beaver Contessa 5 years ago in January 2012 my rears had the crossfire equalization system already on it.

The previous owners had 100# ones which after weighing my coach loaded are right where they need to be.
The previous owners had weighed the coach to originally come up with that figure.

I always check my tires before each trip and add air as needed, as well as a visual of all 6 the best I can do. I have not had any issues with this at all. Mine have a bracket that mounts under a wheel lug instead of the center cap which is way more secure to me.

I have seen some that are mounted with a bracket with rivets in the center cap that seemed to be sturdy also.

Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Ricky Coon

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 12:29:01 AM »
Thanks for the response LaMonte, i agree that under the lug would be the most secure location. Is your coach equipped with center caps on the rear wheels? Mine is and the cap doesn't appear to allow room for the bracket without modification to the cap. I also intend to mount one of the existing tire pressure monitoring sensors on the crossfire unit. Is yours set up that way?

Respectfully Rick
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 02:46:23 AM by Steve Huber Co-Admin »

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2017, 04:31:54 AM »
Thanks for the response LaMonte, i agree that under the lug would be the most secure location. Is your coach equipped with center caps on the rear wheels? Mine is and the cap doesn't appear to allow room for the bracket without modification to the cap. I also intend to mount one of the existing tire pressure monitoring sensors on the crossfire unit. Is yours set up that way?

Respectfully Rick

I don't have a tire pressure monitoring system. I don't see how you would mount a bracket on my center cap very easily. I think the angled piece under the lug nut is way better.

Hope you can get yours figured out.
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl