Author Topic: Air bags  (Read 3272 times)

Bruce Sevier

• BAC Member
Air bags
« on: May 24, 2021, 07:04:58 PM »
The rear air bags on our 1999 Marquis are leaking and need to be replaced. Looking for the part number of the existing Air bags or a correct replacement. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.  Will also probably need to replace the fronts as well.
Thanks
Bruce
Bruce Sevier
99 Marquis

Mike Gineris

Re: Air bags
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2021, 11:03:25 PM »
I grabbed this from the Tech Doc Library.  It seems to apply.

Here is the installation and maintenance manuals for the Air Suspension used on several of the Beaver Coaches.I know for a fact that many of these were used on the 1998 Monterey models. The 510AR suspension was used in the Front of the coach and 610ARsuspension in the Back.These were made by Reyco and put on the Magnum Chasis.Air Springs (bellow / bag) were made for this suspension by both Reyco and Firestone.So there may be some differences there as to which coach got which spring and the paperwork doesn’t always reflect the actual.Beavers Mfg. spread sheet for 1996 to 1999 shows the springs used by Reyco and were noted as follows: #20772-01 used in Back and #20773-01 in the Front. These bags are said to have an upright bracket available on the top plate but may not have necessarily been used for mounting purposes. The ride height settings were to be at 11 3/4" in Back and 8 3/8" in the Front.To confuse even more the 20772-01 part number is not able to be located by anyone today, though one person did tell me they cross referenced it and it was said to be a Shock Part no. (go figure).1996 -1999 with no changes, Firestone had also made Springs for this coach on the Magnum Chassis as well as for the Contessa and another I forgot to write down.These Firestone numbers areW01-358-8959 / IT15LP-2 (but there is yet another Part # of W01-358-9554 shown in the Firestone cross reference charts for this 1T15LP-2).This was used in Front and Back of the Chassis and it was said to be a height of 11"(not confirmed if this was inflated at ride height or not). A cross reference was noted with the Reyco # 20773-01 Spring that was mentioned above as being the Orig. Front bag on this chassis. These too had an upright bracket on the top available. Firestone springs (Front only) were noted on the 1998 Monterey model (my Dad has) with a different bag all together, one WITHOUT a bracket on top and not noted anywhere else in our research.It is a part #WO1-358-5775 / 1T15TQ-1 (which used to be 1T15Y-1) and is cross referenced to a Reyco 20783-01.Contacting Firestone to make such bag since none were readily available we questioned the Beaver Coach Mfg. ride height settings for these said bags which in front were said to be at 8 3/8". Firestone said they were well within the guidelines and should work fine.The 1T15TQ-1 bellow is said to be original as well to this Chassis make and model as well and another number comes up under Firestone as part # W01-358-5774 which too cross references to a Ridwell # 1003585774C.Calling the Firestone Tech Center we find that there are three numbers associated with making and identifying each spring. One is stamped in the Rubber of the Bellow (bag) (eg. 1T15TQ-1), one on the top plate (eg. 3211), and one on the bottom piston (eg. 9681). Some of the older springs may have had a sticker on them or writing which is long gone, with these three numbers they can figure out the correct replacements.
So a special note to those whom may not find their coach to have the exact same suspension springs, know that there were said to be several configurations used and not all were mentioned nor were there any documentations made.Some of the coaches may have noted the springs on the id tags inside the coach by the drivers seat or even possibly a tag on the frame itself, though this was said to been very rare in the earlier days of Beaver
The following users thanked this post: Bruce Sevier

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2021, 03:14:31 AM »
Bruce
To my knowledge the Reyco suspension was only used under the Monterey and had 4 air bags.
The other models during the SMC years used a proprietary Magnum chassis which used an H frame arrangement with 8 air bags
My 1997 Patriot Yorktown 40 has Goodyear air bags and came with Goodyear 1R11-039 as stock on all front and rear this number can be substituted with Goodyear 1R11-121 the only difference is the 121 has a plastic pedistel as apposed to the 039 having an aluminum pedistel.
I can't speak to the Marquis in 1999 maybe someone else can chime in here.
As stated before you can take measurements and compare to manufacturers published specs.

https://infinityairsprings.com/product/air-springs/super-cushion-rolling-lobe-air-springs/

Go to the infinity air spring down load and compare specs.

Hope this helps
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.
The following users thanked this post: Bruce Sevier

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2021, 03:46:51 AM »
Bruce
Your coach my be setup with 1R11-121 in the front and 1R12-431 in the rear
If the air bags are Goodyear the rubber flex member will have a number molded into it that number is only the flex member number but it will tell you wheather it is an 11 or 12 inch air bag.
The 1R12-431 is obsolete now but can be replaced with a 1R12-492 the only difference is the 492 has to have the lower base clocked 45 degrees to get the bolt pattern to line up  this is done by loosening the pedistel bolt turning the pedistel and retorque bolt to 50 ft lbs.

Hope this helps
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Bruce Sevier

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2021, 11:42:41 PM »
Thanks Mike and Eric for your replies, really do appreciate it. The coach is currently at Sacramento Truck Center waiting for new air bags coming from Beaver Coach Sales. According to a earlier post, Eric, you had found a different source for air bags, but having the coach in a shop and they use BCS as a regular supplier l felt it would be best to have the shop order the new air bags. The new ones are Goodyear, same brand as the old ones, but not sure about part numbers. Plan to keep the old air bags and will certainly share part numbers, etc, to post on the forum. One air bag is leaking but felt it was best to change all four.

I did go through the archives and could not find a specific part number for the 1999 Marquis Magnum chassis. And it seemed like they used specific air bags for each model. Since I felt it would not be safe for me to change the air bags, I took it to a shop that does this work.

I have not researched all of your part numbers you've supplied but will be doing that this evening. When I first wrote this post I had not taken it to a shop and was thinking that l could purchase the new air bags and either I or a shop could install them. Hopefully I've made the right choice.

Must say this forum is the best, and hope to be able to contribute as many of you do.

Cheers

Bruce
Bruce Sevier
99 Marquis