Author Topic: Hydraulic Fluid/Reservoir  (Read 6862 times)

Andy Clark

• BAC Member
Hydraulic Fluid/Reservoir
« on: March 17, 2013, 08:01:59 PM »
My Spartan-chassis, side-radiator '95 Patriot has a large hydraulic reservoir in the right rear of the engine compartment.
4 questions:
1. What fluid should I be using in it (Dexron III or Hyd Fluid)?
2. How do I tell if the level is low (no dipstick and can't look directly in)?
3. Where can I get a new breather cap (it's about 1 3/8 in dia and has "Nelson" embossed on it)?
4. Where is the hydraulic pump associated with this reservoir?  I've looked all over underneath the coach and can't find it.  It's not belt-driven, so must be a direct drive off the engine, or is it electrical?  It appears to drive the engine fan; it's not for the levelers.

Still learning about this coach.
Thanks
Andy
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 08:17:25 PM by 14 »
Andy Clark
1995 Patriot 37
300HP Cummings 6CTA8.3
Camano Island WA

Keith Oliver

Re: Hydraulic Fluid/Reservoir
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 03:08:56 AM »
My reservoir has, molded into the plastic, "Dextron III".  It isn't obvious until you get right in there, up close and personal.  Have a closer look.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 05:17:42 AM »
Andy,
Your 95 Patriot uses Dextron III transmission fluid in the hydraulic system. From my memory, there is a small cap on the top of the reservoir will a dipstick attached to it to check the fluid level. The filter for the hydraulic system is located inside the reservoir. The hydraulic pump is driven out of the engine timing case and I think that it was below the engine air compressor on that model.

Parts for the hydraulic system can be obtained from Beaver Coach Sales (BCS) or Spartan Chassis. If you are going to be at an FMCA Convention, Spartan Chassis will have a parts truck there with these parts for sale.

Gerald  

Andy Clark

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 08:27:05 PM »
Thanks, Gerald. I called BCS and they actually had a cap/dipstick in stock for the princely sum of a little over $10 (cheapest I ever got away with!!). The old mangled cap had no dipstick, hence the question about checking fluid level. I'll be at the 7 Feathers Rally, so maybe there I'll learn how to get at and change the filter.
It looks like the pump is somewhere at the trans end of the engine, because that's where the hoses disappear to.

I just have to be careful who's Dexron III I purchase, since it's no longer a GM-Monitored spec fluid.
Thanks again.
Andy
Andy Clark
1995 Patriot 37
300HP Cummings 6CTA8.3
Camano Island WA

Marty and Suzie Schenck

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 09:08:29 PM »
Andy, Valvoline and I think Chevron make  DexronIII and or Dexron/Mercon that still has the Allison rating for dinosaur squeezins. So that should be fine for your hydraulics. Thats what I've been using.
Marty

Andy Clark

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 04:04:42 AM »
Quote from: Marty and Suzie Schenck
Andy, Valvoline and I think Chevron make  DexronIII and or Dexron/Mercon that still has the Allison rating for dinosaur squeezins. So that should be fine for your hydraulics. Thats what I've been using.
Marty

Thanks, Marty.

Andy
Andy Clark
1995 Patriot 37
300HP Cummings 6CTA8.3
Camano Island WA