Author Topic: US Registered coach into Canada  (Read 8607 times)

Lorne Brown

US Registered coach into Canada
« on: May 18, 2014, 02:49:39 AM »
Has anyone taken their US registered motorhome into Canada (Alberta and Saskatchewan), in the past 12 months? Any particular issues with Canadian Customs, when crossing into Canada. Restriction on food, alcohol, wine or anything else? We know fire arms(pistols) are not allowed to be taken into Canada. We had learned about the issue with engine brake requirement to activate brake lights. Appreciate any thoughts, ideas.

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: US Registered coach into Canada
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 03:21:20 AM »
Haven't I heard of something about an airbrake certification requirement for drivers of trucks, motorhomes, etc. that have airbrakes?
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Bob Stone

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 06:20:23 AM »
For Alberta residents an endorsement for air brakes is required on Alberta drivers licence. Such an endorsement requires certification at an accredited course which apparently takes about eight hours of lecture and hands on training.
Not having such an endorsement could have insurance implications. I believe these implications would only affect Alberta licenced drivers.
I'd value other opinions on this matter...
Bob Stone
'05 Monterey Laguna IV  Cat C-9

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 07:12:50 AM »
We visited for a month or so in mid 2012.  There were no special requirements for the coach except to have an auxiliary brake arrangement on the toad, which we do in the US anyway.  Make sure you have passports because they will ask if you have them mostly because you can't get back into the US without them.

Make sure you have insurance coverage there, including coach, auto, and health.  We got a windshield rock chip on the less-than-ideal roads of Saskatchewan, and had a devil of a time getting reimbursed for the fix in Alberta.

Don't cross the border at weird times.  When we had our boat in the San Juan's and went over to East Bay (Victoria area), arriving in the late evening, the customs officer's dinner was interrupted.  He was ticked to have to go down to the docks at that hour, and was determined to search every inch for contraband, finding cubbyholes I didn't know we had, and grilling Lee no end about her prescription drugs.  It took several hours, so they can get stinky even though most crossings are swift and easy.  We've had fruit confiscated at crossings near Canada's growing regions.  Be prepared and in compliance, and don't fudge facts when asked what's onboard;  if they then pull you aside and search the rigs after you deny having something... oops.

A few years back a well known BAC member tried to cross with Bear spray, a simple enough hiker's precaution, but that didn't go too well.  It was mere oversight on his part, with no intent to deceive.  I guess any pepper spray could be considered a weapon, but strangely enough no one would question your buying Bear spray once you got into Canada, a place we've seen numerous of the Ursus species;  in fact in the Rockies it can be against ordinances not to carry spray on trails.

Check here for other things you'll need to comply with:   http://canada.visahq.com/customs/#!

As to food products:  http://www.gonorthwest.com/Visitor/planning/border/food_canada.htm

-Joel
aka Hafcanadian
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 07:38:18 AM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 04:00:31 PM »
Joel,

As Lorne mentioned, we also have our brake lights come on while the pac brake is engaged. Does that mean that our coach was registered in Canada at some point? Also, when I have the 4 ways on to let oncoming traffic know that I am stopped and am waiting on them (usually when getting ready to back in to our driveway at home), if the brake lights are on the 4 ways don't work. So I have to put the coach in N so I can take my foot off the brake so the 4 ways will work so people coming down our street know that I'm getting ready to back up after they go by. Is that a requirement somewhere? I sure would like those 4 ways on no matter if I have my foot on the brake or not. If its not required, can these things be changed?

Stan
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

George H. Wall

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 04:09:32 PM »
Stan, There is a bypass adapter so the 4=ways work by themselves. I have a tow  dolly so whe I put min on going up or downhill steep grades, they also pulsed my brakes. The guys in YUMA, that used to work @ the old Beaver factory, Patti Pierce(SUN-BUM RV) put the adapter for me.  

Les Brandt

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 04:47:27 PM »
You only need air brake endorsement in the province/state that you are licensed in. In Canada, if Canadian, you will pretty much be required to have it in all provinces.

Leave your guns at home!

Joel listed some useful sites in his post regarding quantities you are allowed to bring up and return with.

Some fruits and nuts are prohibited.

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 05:13:39 PM »
Quote from: Les Brandt
Some fruits and nuts are prohibited.

No trips to Canada for us!!  8)

Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2014, 08:32:51 PM »
There has been in the past some controversy here over whether or not the brake lamps should come on with the exhaust brake engagement, and we probably don't need to get into that all over again.  I doubt that it necessarily means your coach was registered in Canada, Stan.  Apparently modifications can be made if for some reason it concerns you.  It doesn't me.

I too must back up onto my home entryway from a suburban street.  Traffic can be problematic (and aggravating).  Since my Monterey is relatively low slung at the hitch and due to its short length it has limiting straps on the rear axle to protect the short drive shaft, I have particular issues negotiating even the very slight angle across the sidewalk/driveway entrance.  Raising the coach too high actually will tilt the hitch closer to the concrete than it is at ride height since the front raises higher than the back.  And Monaco wired the air system to come back to Travel Mode when the Raise button is released, so I have to push/release the switch constantly as I back up in order to maintain the ideal height.  Plus I back in at an angle to help the hitch clear, and yet must turn to feed the back between the corner of the garage and a fence.  Fun!  Fretting over emergency flashers is not a top priority for my concentration.  I just make the maneuver at the right time of day, and post a "flagger" if need be on the street.  The only time I use emergency flashers is in the unusual circumstance going up steep grades, especially at night, where I deem it safest to stay in the right truck lane and end up behind a truck limiting my speed, or when experiencing a breakdown on the road.

Though there can be fruit and nut and vegetable limitations going into Canada, it mostly is for those that are also grown in Canada, and some exotics.  The list has been known to change, so a perusal of the guidelines and any updates concurrent with your planned crossing is prudent.  There should be references/links relative to that point on the websites I referred to.  I surmise the reasons for the restrictions are mostly twofold, to control virulent pests such as larvae and animal diseases, and to assist the sale of those products on the Canadian side.  If we cross in the Okanagan region in summer, we consider it no big deal since we are driving into the midst of Canada's garden at Osoyos and we enjoy the fresh produce we can begin our tour with.  We try to plan days in advance so we have consumed any restricted foodstuffs before arriving at the border;  throwing good food out happened only once decades ago, but not since.  Also note that where restrictions exist they affect fresh foods - many of the same ones but in canned and packaged/processed versions are allowed.  Again, read the lists carefully.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Keith Oliver

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 05:03:28 AM »
Having just imported my next coach, I can tell you that the requirements for your air brakes are exactly the same in Canada as in the US.  The only thing that was actually checked on my 2007 Monaco (same as Patriot Thunder) was the VIN.  Everything else was already OK.
As for the requirement to have an air brake course endorsed on your license, that is required by ICBC (In BC, the Insurance Corp rules the requirements for drivers).  My coach was purchased in California, and had I been a Cal licensed driver, I wouldn't need the air brake course.
So the short answer is:  if you are legal in the licensing state, you are legal in Canada, as we accept your home compliance as good enough, so long as you don't bring us your guns.

Joel Weiss

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 11:18:11 PM »
We spent most of July 2013 in Alberta with no issues.  Here's the definitive documentation of what you can bring across: http://www.inspection.gc.ca/food/information-for-consumers/travellers/what-can-i-bring-into-canada-/eng/1389648337546/1389648516990

neil omalley

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2014, 03:19:13 AM »
My understanding is that liquor,beer and wine are pretty severely monitored going into Canada ?

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2014, 05:45:39 AM »
Not really, Neil, but I reckon "severely monitored" depends on what you normally use.  I may carry a bottle of wine, one of whiskey, and a 12 pack with me at any one moment, but once I get into Canada I can replenish as easily as at home, so no big deal.  Here is the guidelines I currently am aware of:

You are allowed to import only one of the following amounts of alcoholic beverages free of duty and taxes:
•     1.5 litres (53 imperial ounces) of wine; or
•     a total of 1.14 litres (40 ounces) of alcoholic beverages; or
•     up to 8.5 litres of beer or ale.

•     The CBSA classifies "cooler" products according to the alcoholic beverage they contain. For example, beer coolers are considered to be beer and wine coolers are considered to be wine. Beverages not exceeding 0.5% alcohol by volume are not considered to be alcoholic beverages.
The quantities of alcohol you can bring in must be within the limit set by the province or territory where you enter Canada. If the value of the goods is more than the free allowance, you will have to pay duty and taxes, as well as provincial/territorial assessment on the excess amount. In Nunavut and the Northwest Territories, you cannot bring more than the free allowance. For more information, check with the appropriate provincial or territorial liquor control authority before your arrival to Canada.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Bill Sprague

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2014, 02:53:56 PM »
I've been occasionally going back and forth to Canada as long as I can remember in cars, boats, small airplanes and RVs.  Generally, going into Canada is an easy and nearly pleasurable experience.  Don't take a hand gun and do have shot records for your pets.  In recent years, having a Passport seems to be a good idea.  Border crossings vary, but generally the people are polite, friendly and seem anxious to welcome you to their country.

On the other hand, getting back home is the PITA.  Agents seem to want to move as slowly as possible.  Wait times can be very long.  In one case we crossed back in to the USA in eastern Canada.  The backups were so long that the old small Canadian town's central retail district had been destroyed.   Once you get through the frequently long line, the agents seem to check little but it can be a puzzle palace on what you can have in the way of food.  Be prepared to be surprised at what you will be directed to throw away.  

One time when we were coming back in our 24 foot boat we were asked to step off and stand at the dock.  As one agent chose to search the boat, I stepped toward the boat and offered to show him where things were stored.  A second agent told me his job was to shoot me if I stepped on to my own boat.  The did find some illegal limes that were from California and in a labeled bag.  

Another time we were traveling with our son and his family returning from Vancouver Island.  We were in separate motorhomes.  His middle name is William.  My first name is William.  Obviously our last names are the same.  The computer triggered a random search of our motorhome.  The computer triggered a required inspection of his because of an apparent fear of forged documents as our names were too similar.  The agents were very confused because they "had not seen this before".   As is always the case, we got through after throwing away something.  This time is was bananas and eggs.  And, we got the bonus of spending family time in the waiting room while strangers with guns went through our entire RVs.  

I've never heard of anyone getting delayed more than a few hours.  Everyone is allowed home, sooner or later.   Usually the only delay is waiting in line.

My trips to Canada have always been enjoyable and productive.  Even if coming home is irritating, I continue to look forward to Canadian travel.  

(End of rant about US Customs)