Author Topic: Coach and Chassis Battery charging  (Read 15151 times)

Tom Fisher

Coach and Chassis Battery charging
« on: November 15, 2014, 04:37:01 PM »
We are new members to the BAC, so we are excited to see how this works. We purchased a 2005 Beaver Monterey, 36 1/2 foot, C9 Cat 400 w/3 slides. If I plug into 110 20amp only, leave both the Chassis and Coach power switches ON, will Coach and Chassis batteries trickle charge throughout this cold CO weather?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 05:48:02 PM by 33015 »

Bill Sprague

Re: Coach and Chassis Battery charging
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 06:50:16 PM »
Welcome to the club!

Yes, as long as you don't plug in anything else.  

A couple things can go wrong.  If the batteries are low, the charger can try to draw more than the 15 amp circuit will supply.  On mine, I can set the charger at the control panel to not draw more than 10 amps.  You can't plug in any heaters or appliances.

One Christmas I spent a week in my son's driveway with only a small cord leading to an outlet in his garage.  There was enough to keep the batteries charged, the HydroHot set for diesel only and all the lights.  

I don't normally type in caps, but BE SURE YOU HAVE WINTERIZED THE HYDROHOT WITH THE STANDARD PINK RV ANTIFREEZE.  NO OTHER METHOD IS SAFE.

Post, call or email me if you have questions.  

Tom Fisher

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 07:49:29 PM »
Thank you for the info. This is really a nice way to ask other Beaver owners questions!
I do want to make sure I understood you that the chassis batteries will also trickle charge this way, not just the house batteries?
I am just starting to study the electrical portion of the manual, so it is a bit confusing right now.
Thanks

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 08:35:58 PM »
Tom,
Assuming you have an Echo charger in the coach, once the house batteries reach 13V the Echo charger will apply a charge to the chassis batteries. If you have a BIRD system, both sets will charge at the same time.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 01:58:01 AM »
Tom,
Your 2005 coach should have a "Bird" system. So if it is functioning properly, if either battery bank is charging, all batteries are tied together by the "Big Boy" solenoid causing them to all charge equally.

Gerald

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 02:06:03 AM »
We always put the zantrex power share to15 amp for a 20 amp plug. That way we don't trip the stick house breaker.
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 03:43:06 PM »
Quote from: Bill Sprague
Welcome to the club!

I don't normally type in caps, but BE SURE YOU HAVE WINTERIZED THE HYDROHOT WITH THE STANDARD PINK RV ANTIFREEZE.  NO OTHER METHOD IS SAFE.

Post, call or email me if you have questions.  

Can't emphasize this enough. Just blowing out the lines will not suffice with Hydro Hot or Aqua Hot. You must pump the pink stuff through all lines...hot and cold, until it comes out of the faucet pink. Bill Sprague taught me an easy way to do it. Go to Lowes or Home Depot or Ace and get a 24 or 30 inch braided type under the sink in your house water line. One end is smaller...that is the one you stick in to the jug of pink stuff. Unhook your water pump, and attach the other end (the larger end...perfect fit) of the handy dandy water line that you bought to the water pump inlet. Have someone else in the coach turn on the water pump, and run each faucet, hot and cold, until pink. Walkie talkies work great for this and other communication. When the water pump comes on, the pink stuff in the jug will be sucked out, and in to your water lines. Tell your partner to stop when the jug gets empty. Change jugs, repeat until you have done the kitchen sink, both bathroom sinks, the shower, and the toilet. If you have a washer/dryer combo, you have to do it too. Read the instructions in the manual. If you need a copy, I can send it to you. Total pink stuff for our coach...3-1/2 jugs. I would post pictures, but the coach is 3 miles away, and we just got 2 inches of snow. If you need them, let me know and I can go there and take some.

Edit: Welcome to BAC. This forum has many great experts on everything Beaver. We've literally saved thousands of dollars using the knowledge base here.

Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Bill Sprague

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2014, 04:09:35 PM »
Quote from: Stan Simpson
Go to Lowes or Home Depot or Ace and get a 24 or 30 inch braided type under the sink in your house water line. One end is smaller...that is the one you stick in to the jug of pink stuff.

The only thing Stan left out, was the specification for the end of the hose.  Look for 1/2" Female NPT.  Or, sometimes, FIP which is a commonly used shorthand designation for Female Iron Pipe (Female NPT).

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2014, 11:08:59 AM »
These rigs are pretty efficient.  We've spent many a week parked at a relative's house with a long extension cord to a 15 or 20 amp garage outlet.  You just need to be careful what you turn on.  A few lights and the fridge and maybe the TV, but no high-amp devices and make sure your HydroHot is on diesel only.  We get away with using the microwave if I minimize lights and the TV is off, etc.  But you can usually find estimates of each device's wattage and convert to amps by dividing by 110volts.   Then you can know how many amps you run at any one moment, allowing that the fridge may cycle on and off, and don't allow the total to exceed the building outlet's circuit capacity (15 or 20 amps).  You need to allow some room for voltage drop when using a long extension cord and/or one that's smaller than 12 guage.  So if you have a long cord from a 20 amp garage outlet, I'd be careful loading it with more than 15-17 amps worth of devices.

As Bill mentioned he does, I try to remember - but often forget - to choose 15 amps on my Magnum remote panel over the entry door, so the inverter can help prevent the garage breaker from tripping if I overload things inadvertantly.  The trick is to remember to reset it before plugging into the next RV park power post that's 30 or 50 amp.  I've been at it long enough that both Lee and I are good about power management.  A couple times hooked up a few days to an old 15 amp circuit and you learn the ropes, and how to keep an eye on the Aladdin's screen and electric leg numbers.  Watch them change as you turn devices on and off, and you'll get the gist of it.

As Gerald explained, you have a Bidirectional Isolator Relay Delay (BIRD) system.  It is a small black box probably like mine, found on the inside of the access door between your main battery switches.  It controls the battery charging by way of the large solenoid also in that cabinet, dead center, called the Big Boy and which is the actual "isolator".  When your house bank reaches about 13.3 volts it starts moving charge current from your inverter's charger over to the chassis bank.   And it works both ways;  when you are on the road and the alternator has bumped the chassis set to 13.3 volts, the BIRD closes the isolator then as well, and lets the house batteries share the alternator's production.

To echo others' warnings, if the coach is in storage make sure the HydroHot is protected with RV antifreeze - not doing diligence there can be a very expensive mistake.  

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Les Brandt

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2014, 03:10:23 PM »
This is one of the things that can happen if you overload your coach system.

When a local shop winterized my coach, they left the electric Hydrohot switch on and I plugged into 110v at home.

Thankfully my breaker tripped in my house!

Tom Fisher

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2014, 07:34:58 PM »
I greatly appreciate all the input. Now I am trying to absorb it. Since I am new to a diesel pusher, I am trying to figure things out. I have an "Xanterx" remote panel above the door, and I am trying to read up on it. Very confusing. As soon as I get the coach back from servicing, I will attack the Xantrex system. One more question, am I right in assuming that if I turn both(coach and chassis)  power switches off, that will also stop the charger from charging the batteries for both systems?

Harvey Ziegler

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2014, 07:51:43 PM »
I would be careful with turning the battery switches off with the coach plugged into AC supply. I believe I have seen a warning label on the panel next to the battery disconnect switches that says do not turn off if plugged into 120V supply.
Harvey & Marilyn Ziegler
2004 Monterey  Newport
350 HP Cummins ISC
2010 Jeep Wrangler

Bill Sprague

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2014, 08:05:17 PM »
Quote from: Tom Fisher
I greatly appreciate all the input. Now I am trying to absorb it. Since I am new to a diesel pusher, I am trying to figure things out. I have an "Xanterx" remote panel above the door, and I am trying to read up on it. Very confusing. As soon as I get the coach back from servicing, I will attack the Xantrex system. One more question, am I right in assuming that if I turn both(coach and chassis)  power switches off, that will also stop the charger from charging the batteries for both systems?
Tom,

If I recall, there were two Xantrex control panels used and I have one of them.  I've used it now for 10 years and think I understand it.  If we have the same one and want help, call me, email me or post questions.  

Tom Fisher

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2014, 08:26:28 PM »
Thank you both! I will keep all this in mind and followup if I need to.