Author Topic: A newbie just getting started  (Read 446 times)

Bill Kennerly

• BAC Member
A newbie just getting started
« on: July 29, 2020, 05:05:15 PM »
Hi my name is Bill Kennerly me and my wife Gale recently bought a 40 foot 203 Beaver Contessa,it has a 370 horse Cummins with a six speed Allison between this website and that motorhome we are going through an extreme learning curve, just thought I would introduce myself and we will be monitoring and post in the near future. We have owned our coach since September 2019, of course when I bought it there was a lot to  be repaired but with me having being a retired automobile & diesel mechanic, I have repaired my hydro hot heating & water system, ac on the chassis, the refrigerator & numerous small things that needed repaired. I will be posting a photo on my coach, me & my wife. When we hope to be able to go to some rally‚Äôs in the near future & after Covid -19. Thanks Bill
2003 Contessa
Cummins ISL 370 HP
The following users thanked this post: Rick and Laura Stephens, Karl Welhart, Mandy Canales, Anita Johnson

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
Re: A newbie just getting started
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 05:11:23 PM »
Welcome Bill and Gale! We've all been in your shoes, so fire away with the questions, and we hope to see you at a rally or two in the near future.! Welcome aboard!
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Liberty is not the power to do what one wants, but it is the desire to do what one can" J-P Sartre; inscription in base of Statue of Liberty

Mike Shumack

• BAC Member
  • Orlando, Florida
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 05:18:31 PM »
Welcome and good luck with your new Coach.

I would suggest you start going through the Coach and identifying the various components/equipment installed (do you have a "build sheet"?), and start downloading all the manuals now - before you actually need them.

If you plan to work on the Coach yourself as much as possible (as I do) you will want the wiring diagrams and service manuals. Most of it can be found on this site.
- Mike

'05 Beaver Patriot Thunder 525, Vicksburg, CAT C13, Allison 4000MH, HydraLift
Orlando, FL

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2020, 10:39:27 AM »
Hello Bill and Gayle and welcome.
Sounds like you have a leg up on the learning curve we all have gone through.
Looking forward to seeing you at an event one day.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Jim Houghton

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2020, 01:47:55 AM »
Welcome aboard I currently own the same year and model that you have. I may be able to give some insight when needed. I do have some of the manuals available on digits. If you PM me I can provide them if needed. I have hydro hot, Inverters, Bird and owners manual available to send. May have others also just ask.

Jim
2003 Beaver Contessa Tuscany
370 Cummins
Pleasant View, TN :)

Gary Curtis

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2020, 12:53:48 AM »
Welcome aboard Bill & Gale,

My wife Bonnie and I purchased our Beaver from a dealer in Chicago in February and barely made it home, the A/C compressor pulley stopped rotating half way home to Cincinnati, broke the serpentine belt and we drove home on the battery. It seems that every day just brings more problems.  I am wondering when our luck will turn around.

We over-nited our first time in a KOA campground 20 miles away a few weeks ago and I have a list of 8 new things that need repaired.  It's hard to find places that work on a Class A in our area. I fully expect to have to repair everything with the exception of the CAT Engine and Transmission.  Ohio Cat has been very good with any issues we have had with the Chassis, power plant, A/C, brakes etc.

Mike a few responses above recommended that you collect the documentation on the equipment that is installed in your coach. He can't be more correct. The previous owner left me with a file box of documents and service records and I will be eternally grateful to him for that.
Gary & Bonnie Curtis (Cincinnati, OH)
2007 Beaver Patriot Thunder - Hanover 44    #043155
CAT C-13, 525HP, Alison 4000MH
Towing 2019 Mini Countryman (Jumbo)

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2020, 01:49:38 AM »
We bought our 2005 Beaver in 2015, so we are 5 years in. Most problems won't put you on the side of the road, but, rather are 'house' related (fingers crossed!). Some are self-inflicted, some are problems unseen until you have the rig in the shop.
I will say that the service contract we bought when we purchased the coach was worthwhile, but a hassle to use. 5 years in we have new rubber all around, new roof A/C units, new cab A/C compressor, new alternator (this year!), replaced all batteries (coach and house), slideout repairs, baggage door locks and entry keypad, microwave, dump valves (several); and then there are upgrades: Service bay overhaul, residential refrig and pure sine wave inverter, shop made 4 light fixture over wife's recliner, cab led strip lights, led replacements for downlights (in progress).....kinda like a boat, not gonna sink the ship, but there's always another project!
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Liberty is not the power to do what one wants, but it is the desire to do what one can" J-P Sartre; inscription in base of Statue of Liberty
The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett

Bill Sprague

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2020, 11:30:47 PM »
Welcome Bill!  One of the benefits of this club is the member directory.  It has phone numbers!  Considering your background as a automobile & diesel mechanic, you might not need to call me very often.  But, with a couple phone calls you can usually get a quick track to someone that has had whatever you've had.   Other than an engine surging adventure once, most of my experience is with everything else.  I swear I got to everything at least once over the 12 years we had our '04 Monterey!  If you ever think there is a  remote possibility I can help, please phone me.
Bill Sprague
Past Region 1 VP
2019 Tiffin Wayfarer 24TW
Past 3 year owner '15 PleasureWay Pursuit
Past 12 year owner of '04 Monterey w/Cummins ISC 350