Author Topic: Cruise control  (Read 2708 times)

Bill kennerly

Cruise control
« on: July 30, 2020, 01:43:51 AM »
Questions on cruise control.              I’m BILL Kennerly I own a 2003 40 ft. Beaver coach it has 370 horse Cummins with a 6 speed Allison. I have repaired many things on this coach, now I’am going to tackle the cruise control, nothing works on the cruise, I have already replaced a smart wheel control box it is located in the front electric box, any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks Bill

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Re: Cruise control
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2020, 02:06:05 PM »
  Hi Bill,
  A common issue on the "smart wheel" is the contacts under the steering wheel that are sending information to the module you replaced. Do any of the buttons work like the wipers, hi beam flash, marker lights flash, fast idle? The easy fix if that is the issue, remove the steering wheel and clean the brass circles with a pencil eraser. If you have the spring loaded " clock spring" then you should replace it. Hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

David Ciotti

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2020, 02:20:13 PM »
Be careful using a pencil eraser to clean electrical contacts.  Any electrical contacts.  The bits of rubber can cause problems, and some of the erasers are too abrasive.  They will remove the conductive coating off the electrical surfaces.

I like to use isopropyl alcohol, the 99% strength variety, and a Q-tip for cleaning electronics.
2002 Marquis Jasper. 40'. Cat C12

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2020, 09:38:07 PM »
Bill
On many of these coaches the cruise won't work if the exhaust brake is turned on .
With a scan tool and Cummins software you should be able to see the cruise inputs to see if the smart wheel switches are working and whether the engine computer is getting a cruise comand in some cases a brake light fault can inhibit cruise operation also many are set to inhibit cruise operation if there is a fault code logged in the engine computer.
If you can find the cruise demand wire going to the Cumins engine computer you could verify the smart wheel.
The smart wheel switches and clock spring are the only moving parts in that circuit I'd start there as Fred said clean the contacts and check / replace the clock spring.
Hope some of this helps
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2020, 10:46:08 PM »
As Eric notes, assuming your Cummins has a “Pac-brake” (exhaust brake), if left on that switch will override the cruise control.
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Jim Houghton

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2020, 01:43:32 AM »
I own the same year model and Contessa with the ISL 370 Cummins engine. Mine works with or without the exhaust brake being on or off. The one issue that I had was in the steering column about half way up is a plug that all the wires go through. It had backed part way out and lost functions of the smart wheel. Once plugged was fully seated all started working again.
2021 Entegra Cornerstone
2003 Beaver Contessa Tuscany (sold)
Pleasant View, TN :)

Bill kennerly

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2020, 02:33:53 PM »
Thanks for all the good information, in answer to some comments everything on the wheel works including the wipers the light flashers the horn wind shield wipers, the only thing not working is the cruise & the engine idle up feature of the cruise. I’m going to pull the wheel & start checking connections. Once again thanks for all the good information . Bill

Mike Shumack

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2020, 03:00:25 PM »
I had a problem with my cruise control not working and the first step in the troubleshooting guide was to unplug the connector at the Smartwheel module and check for power. When I grabbed the connector to unplug it one of the wires just pulled out. it was never crimped, so only making intermittent contact. After repairing the crimp, the cruise control worked properly.

I suggest you check all the wires at the Smartwheel "connectors" by giving them a little tug to see if there are any loose wires - before pulling the wheel.

I've found another wire (under dash) that was poorly crimped too, so this is one of the first troubleshooting steps I do now.

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2020, 04:44:05 PM »
   Bill,
One last thought as was suggested, there is a white 8 pin connector under the cover where the column pivots when changing the angle and extending the height. Sometimes if the column is allowed to "snap" unrestrained towards the dash it can pull one of the wires loose from that connector. Hope you find the issue and let us know what the fix is. Joy, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Bill kennerly

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2020, 07:17:17 PM »
Thanks for info I’m out town will check that when I get home

Bill kennerly

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2020, 03:54:13 AM »
This is Bill Kennerly I would like to report all my cruise control problems on my Beaver and would like to thank everybody for all the information and suggestions as to what might be the problem but like to especially thank Eric McLean, he remembered that on some of these coaches the cruise control will not work if the exhaust brake is on, sue enough result I turned off the exhaust brake , the cruise control works perfectly, thanks again for everyone’s help. Bill Kennerly

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2020, 07:53:05 AM »
Not sure why Jim’s coach has been set up differently, but we’re glad you've discovered it’s best to check the obvious first, Bill. 

Flipping on the brake switch activates the valve that restricts exhaust gas flow, occluding the drivetrain with backpressure, and restricting forward momentum, saving wear on your wheel brakes, and is especially helpful descending mountain grades.  In that instance your cruise control has less usefulness since it’s not good for inhibiting gravity’s effect on downhill motion.  I think the cruise is (usually) cut off when the exhaust brake switch is flipped to on, although it may not be until the valve actually activates when letting off the throttle... your foot or the cruise.  It’s been awhile since I drove.  Others here may clarify that point.  A moment later when the valve actually closes, a dash lamp appears saying it’s working.  Unlike its companion brake switch “On” light, the separate brake actuated lamp (and the brake itself) only comes on when you let off the throttle.  Hit the “gas” again and the brake valve opens and it’s ”actuated” lamp goes out.

It’s possible that lamp never activated to let you know because the valve is stuck open.  But the switch being “On” likely cut power to the cruise control anyway.  You should have seen a dash lamp that indicated the switch was on, even while parked and idling.  All that said, your coach is a different year and model than mine, and could be configured differently in these regards.

I just assumed from Jim’s comment that ‘03 Contessas were different than most of ours with the smaller engines that don’t have compression brakes, but that come with exhaust brakes instead.  Commonly called “PAC-brakes”, many like on our Monterey are actually made by Jake-brake, the namesake company for compression brakes.

I’d suggest you pop the trapdoor in the floor of your wardrobe and/or bedroom floor so you can view the top of your engine.  I don’t know your Cummins, but on our CAT the exhaust manifold/turbocharger is seen along the engine’s street side.  The exhaust brake is built into it and is easily accessible through that hatch.  Check that the flapper valve moves easily.  But regardless, get some lube and use it on the unit’s linkages as per the video available on YouTube, “PRXB Maintenance with Pacbrake’s SuperLube”.  This product won’t burn off like others might, so don’t skimp and try to use another oil.
https://pacbrake.com/product/c18037-superlube/

The valve can seize up and not operate properly when you need it going down mountain grades.

Go to the Home tab above, then the Private - BAC Members Only section, “Link to Coach Assist“, and follow links to any owners manuals relevant to your Contessa.  If none, check the one for my 2006 Monterey where page 293 may prove helpful.

Joel
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 03:12:46 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat