Author Topic: Internet Upgrade  (Read 8317 times)

Gary Curtis

• BAC Member
Internet Upgrade
« on: August 13, 2020, 03:45:41 AM »
I am planning to add Mobile Internet to my Coach. I searched the forum and have not found anything recent on the topic. Things change so fast with communications and equipment so I have been doing research for the 2020 solution.  I have found a couple of solutions 1) Winegard ConnecT V2 Outdoor router and 2) Wifi Ranger Converge (Denali Outdoor and Aspen Indoor Routers). Both of these solutions lock you into older LTE technology by installing class 4 or class 6 LTE data modems on the roof so I do not plan to get that option, just the 2.4GHz Wifi router on the roof.

I think Wifi Ranger is more future proof because of the indoor router. This router provides 2.4/5 GHz wifi and allows you to USB Tether Hot Spots (4G-8800L MiFi  and/or 5G-L1000 MiFi) as well as your smartphone if it supports USB Tethering. I picked up the 5G-L1000 from Verizon.  They have a mix and match plan that provides 780HD Video streaming and 50 GB of 4G-LTE or 30GB of 5G data without throttling. That plan was $30 when added to my family plan.

I tried out the MiFi in downtown Cincinnati where we recently got 5G service. It was blazingly fast, like broadband. The 4G-LTE in my rural town of Lawrenceburg still provided 37Mbs down and 12Mbs up. So if the Campground Internet service is slow I will have an option as long as I have cell coverage. 

I looking into Cell Boosters now and kind of like the weBoost. Does anyone have experience with these amplifiers in a rural setting? I need some ideas for an external antenna.
Gary & Bonnie Curtis (Cincinnati, OH)
2007 Beaver Patriot Thunder - Hanover 44    #043155
CAT C-13, 525HP, Alison 4000MH
Towing 2019 Tesla M3 (Sparkie)

David Ciotti

• BAC Member
Re: Internet Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 05:15:27 PM »
I just use my iPad on Verizon for a WiFi hotspot when the campground WiFi is less than bearable.
2002 Marquis Jasper. 40'. Cat C12

Laurence Mitchell

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 08:02:43 PM »
I'm part of the group and they provide good info.  I've not joined their paid site but do follow them.  One day, I will retire and find some of this info useful.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/rvinternet/

Hope this help!
45' 2007 Marquis - Moonstone C15 Cat
2018-2020 40' 2000 Marquis - Tourmaline

Keith Cooper

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2020, 06:03:33 PM »
We have been using  Wilson cellular booster for several years.Wilson was rebranded to WeBoost 3 or 4 years ago.The key in selecting a cell booster is the frequency spectrum which is being effectively amplified (700 Mhz, 850 Mhz, 1900 Mhz & 1700/2100 Mhz) these are the most common radio's you will find on cell towers throughout the country.For data purposes that means 2G, 3G, 4G HSPA+, 4G LTE, 5Ge. The term 5Ge is actually marketing fluff and it refers to 5G service on existing LTE spectrum. Gain on each of the four frequency bands covered varies depending on the individual band. In an RV over the road environment the lower the frequency band the higher the gain. In the preliminary tests I ran at the time I actually measured a consistent 27 db gain in signal strength in the 700 Mhz spectrum.  The key to setting up a cellular booster is in insuring you mount your external antenna on a ground plane. To do that i placed a 12" square metal plate on the roof and mounted the magnetic antenna wilson/weboost provided on that plate. I used the refrigerator exhaust vent as an ingress point into the coach to avoid cutting an additional hole in the roof. You also need to maintain a minimum of 18" of separation between your internal and external cell booster  antenna's
A little about 5G with the exception of the new 600 Mhz spectrum (not covered by existing cellular boosters) and the existing 700 Mhz & 850 Mhz spectrum not much will be usable for 5G. High bandwidth capabilities in rural and suburban environments for mobile devices aren't going to happen without massive infrastructure investments with little or no return on investment. 5G is in cities with high population densities where cell towers, + micro,mano, and/or pico cells can be placed in or on buildings. I Expect 4G & LTE service to be around for the next 5 -10 years. In fact some existing 2G/3G networks will be around thru at least the end of 2022 with the major carriers and perhaps longer with some of the regional carriers that you may be roaming on when you travel around the country. Its also important to remember not all campgrounds have sufficient cellular coverage to make a cellular booster viable. We happen to be in a campground near Silverlake Washington there is no Verizon service, T-moble requres a boosted signal to make a call and the data service (LTE) iss so slow it is unusable. AT&T is the only device we can rely on in this particular park.
As far as wifi is concerned I have a wifiranger Elite on the roof and have been using a wifiranger Go2 in the coach for several years. The Go2 failed about two weeks ago so I will be replacing it in the next week or two with a Wifiranger Aspen along with a POE injector to provide power and a GigE connection between the two routers. As a matter of information i use a Verizon 8800L mifi device on a prepaid data only plan or the hotspot on either our T-MOBILE iphone (unlimited data) or our AT&T Iphone when the wifi in a park doesn't meet our needs.
The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett, Fred Brooks, Gary Curtis

Gary Curtis

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2020, 10:45:19 PM »
Thanks Keith, that was some great information you provided on 4G-5G service.

I made the jump and purchased the new WIFI ranger setup.  The Aspen Router has arrived and still waiting on the Denali Outdoor Router.

I also made the jump and purchased the Weboost RV-65. It is a directional antenna on a 25 foot pole. It seems like it has the right stuff while parked but I am still looking for a mobile boost solution.  I am thinking of splitting the Co-Ax and adding the mobile antenna that is bundled with the Weboost Drive X RV as a mobile solution.  I just have to find a way to purchase just the antenna. I contacted Wilson but did not receive an answer yet. In these days of COVID-19 they are probably running thin on support.

Gary & Bonnie Curtis (Cincinnati, OH)
2007 Beaver Patriot Thunder - Hanover 44    #043155
CAT C-13, 525HP, Alison 4000MH
Towing 2019 Tesla M3 (Sparkie)