Author Topic: Cold weather questions  (Read 1942 times)

Rick Vyncke

• BAC Member
Cold weather questions
« on: September 08, 2020, 07:37:07 PM »
I've searched the forum for answers to these cold weather questions but cannot find what I'm looking for.  Our coach has spent the last 7 years in climate controlled storage.  Unfortunately we've had to move her to storage that is not climate controlled and temps are dropping into the 20's here in Colorado so timing is of the essence...

1) I read about folks on here who talk about leaving their furnace on (which heats the storage bay area) at a low temperature.  Our coach is store inside of an RV storage center that is not climate controlled.  Can the furnace be left on while completely unattended for weeks at a time???   I don't want fumes from our coach causing any issues for others who have their own storage units but in the same physical building. 

2) Our coach has heat tape in the storage bay.  I plugged it in and turned the switch on but the light does not illuminate.  We are connected to a 30 amp shore power circuit.  Is that sufficient to power that?  Could that be the problem?  Do I need to have the inverter turned on?  If I do turn on the inverter will that kill the batteries or will the charge keep up?

Suggestions welcome....

Just concerned... don't want any freeze damage.  I did blow out the lines with air and intend on pumping antifreeze in so maybe all of this is unnecessary but I'd rather be extra safe than sorry.

Thank you!
Rick V
2004 Beaver Marquis, Garnet (3 slides)
43'
C12

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Cold weather questions
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2020, 09:27:58 PM »
Rick,
IMHO if the coach in inside you should be OK with the heat tape. I would not recommend using the Aqua Hot on diesel as I'd have the same concerns that you voiced. The bays are relatively well insulated to begin with and as the coach won't be subjected to cold winds it should be OK. The one thing you might overlook is the icemaker line. Getting antifreeze into it can be a pain. Alternate solution  is to disconnect it at the pump and back of reefer and blow it out. Keep in mind that the storage building should warm up during the day so it probably won't see critical cold temps for 24 hr periods.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Bill Sprague

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2020, 10:00:26 PM »
There is a great story about a guy with a new Prevost north of Seattle.  He built a new building to park it in.  He went on a cruise or something, the power went out and the generator started.  He had to get a another newe Prevost and new building.   The soot and smoke damage was not reversible. 

Is it going to freeze inside the building?   If so, the biggest risk is the Aqua/HydroHot.  If you don't winterize it, the expense to repair is huge.

I stored our '04 outside where it occasionally froze for years.  I would be happy to share what I did.  But, it won't matter if you know it won't freeze where you are storing yours.

Rick Vyncke

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2020, 10:48:53 PM »
Bill,  when you say winterize the AquaHot????

It has antifreeze in it..... and therefore the only thing to “winterize” is to:

1) ensure the anti-freeze solution is good and
2) ensure that all the hot water lines are blown out and/or (and in my case) have RV anti-freeze coming out each hot water faucet.  If I’m
Issuing something here please let me know.   Thank you!!!

And to those who suggested not allowing the diesel burner to run.... thanks for that.  That was my belief and can only suspect that those who mention that must have their coach outside. 
Rick V
43'
C12

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2020, 05:40:23 AM »
Rick, the always-there (boiler) antifreeze is only in the “furnace” circulatory side, to take heat to the interior exchanger/fan units;  there’s no guarantee you can blow every bit of water out of the AquaHot’s fresh hotwater coils.  I used to do that but the slight risk vs. a new unit... easy decision to just winterize like you already are, run RV antifreeze through to the hot water faucets.  It’s not uncommon for owners to confuse the two different uses of two different types of antifreeze in their hydronic devices.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Rick Vyncke

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2020, 01:40:45 PM »
Thank you all.  More great information from the Beaver experts.  You guys rock... 

Rick V
43'
C12

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2020, 06:38:10 PM »
8 years ago, Bill Sprague taught me an easy method to run RV antifreeze through the Aqua Hot fresh water coils. It has protected my coach without incident while outside next to the house. The method winterizes the whole coach (except for the washing machine, you have to do it separately) in 15-20 minutes, costs 4 gallons of the pink stuff at Walmart, including the washing machine.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2020, 09:16:58 AM »
Power fails.  You should consider what happens if there is no power for some time so no 30 amp.
We have not winterized for years.  Our coach is on our home property so we can keep a close eye on it so we dont use the pink stuff just 3 electric heaters and an incandesent light bulb for heat in the wet bay.  We buy and test yearly the outlet set to activate at 35 degrees for the basement andwet bay.
Weather reports are saying extra wet and cold here this year so we may give in and antifreeze.  Better safe than sorry where the AH is concerned .
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!