Author Topic: HELP- RVA system wont stop running  (Read 1979 times)

Mark Bodenhamer

HELP- RVA system wont stop running
« on: September 26, 2020, 12:11:22 AM »
Just pulled in to a site leveled and we hear a loud noise.  It's the RVA hydraulic system running non stop and smoking.  I cut power to the entire rig to stop the system.  What fuse do i need to pull to kill power to the RVA system so i can get coach power back?

Mark Bodenhamer

Re: HELP- RVA system won't stop running
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2020, 01:24:46 AM »
Found the power wire and disconnected it.  Now I have to figure out how to raise the left and front jacks.  Any suggestions as to what the problem could be, and a direction for a solution?

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: HELP- RVA system wont stop running
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2020, 02:33:46 AM »
Mark,
Manual (see Coach Assist) shows a 15a fuse feeding the controller. Possible you have a failed relay feeding pump power. Check your Elec Bay Layout diagram for location. 03 Marquis shows K12 but probably different on Monterey. Possible that fluid is low and it is trying to extend jack(s) but not enough fluid to do it. However, you should get a low fluid alarm in this case.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Mark Bodenhamer

Re: RVA system wont stop running
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2020, 03:14:55 AM »
Thanks, Steve.  Just figured out how to manually raise the jacks.  I really hope it works, we'll find out tomorrow when we have daylight. 

The reservoir has fluid.  Pretty much narrowed it down to the pump motor.  The pump was running with the RVA switch bank powered off and the key out of the ignition.  The smoking really freaked me out.   

Larry Fritz

• BAC Member
  • 98 Patriot Ticonderoga - 37' Blue/White, 3126B CAT
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2020, 03:37:45 AM »
Mark..........I had the identical thing happen to my 98 Patriot back in the early 2000's. To long to discuss here so if you like you can call me at (408) 515-5957.  I will fill you in on the details. I never did write it up for the tech forum. It is not a straightforward logical fix. I hope I can help you.

Larry Fritz
Larry Fritz
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Mark Bodenhamer

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2020, 09:11:04 PM »
Got the jacks up.  Now the slides are stuck open.  Starting a new thread.

Larry Fritz

• BAC Member
  • 98 Patriot Ticonderoga - 37' Blue/White, 3126B CAT
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2020, 01:06:37 AM »
Mark: The rvajack.com website has a whole lot of info on technical and operational.  I hope you have seen it. Most of it is centered around the JII system and it has separate writeups for manual vs automatic systems. There is no information that I could find on vertical vs horizontal controller mounting.

My 98 Patriot Ticonderoga 37' had a way to get the slide in.  Yes, Beaver did indeed build some this way. Ignition key off.  Remove all power to the motor and unit controller. First you needed a ratcheting 3/4" drive wrench and the right socket to fit. The end of the large horizontal steel rod above the cargo bays had a welded end to accept a socket wrench. You also have to find the hydraulic fluid line at the pump and loosen it quite a  bit to relieve all the pressure in that line. Catch the oil into something. The hose must remain loose. Next, someone gets on the ground under the slide and works that ratcheting  wrench while the truckload of strong people lift and push that slide fully back in.  We worked in unison. It was not easy to turn. Then retrieve the wrench followed by re-tightening the hydraulic line connection loosened earlier.  That worked and off I went to a rv repair shop. I had to buy a new pump unit because mine was toast.

Also remember that there is nothing holding your slide in now but the weight of it  so when driving your coach to a repair shop I highly recommend another person back by the sofa to verify the slide was not working its way back out from rough roads.  (I was lucky because I cut a piece of scrap 2x4 and wedged it between the wall and some trim on the inside of the coach). My slide never tried to work back out. (Normally it is held in with hydraulic pressure

I have never posted all of this on our BAC site until now even though this happened in 2004.  It can be done and I did it. That coach had only the one slide the the earlier models had. The hardest part was getting the hydraulic lines off of the pump due to the way it was mounted for access.

Hope this gives you another way if all else fails.

Larry Fritz
Larry Fritz