Author Topic: Anyone been to Astoria lately?  (Read 4064 times)

Curtis Showvaker

Anyone been to Astoria lately?
« on: October 02, 2020, 05:26:47 PM »
We’re thinking of visiting Astoria in a day or so. Does anyone know of any issues such as fires or civil unrest in the area?
Thanks!

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
Re: Anyone been to Astoria lately?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2020, 09:23:35 PM »
Curtis, Dean and Anita spent a week or two at Lewis & Clark Golf & RV Park they never mentioned any problems 
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Bryan Beamon

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2020, 11:57:26 PM »
Jerry we spent a month 9 days ago in Seaside Oregon and Long Beach Washington traveling in and out if Astoria Washington and saw no problems  FYI
C & Bryan Beamon
2006  to present
2007 Contessa 42ft Cat C-9 400hp
1996 to 2006 97 Beaver Patriot Camden

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2020, 03:49:05 AM »
Though the smoke of California fires still drift our way, it is mostly high altitude, and it’s not been a problem.  Today here near Portland, there is the typical October morning fog that clears by noon, and despite warnings late this week of stagnate air, there has been a sweet wind and very pleasant Indian Summer weather.  Forecasts this week were for unusually warm coastal temps.

If I were you I’d not fret at all about a stay in Astoria.  The next week should be ideal at the coast, especially the north, far away from any California smoke.  I only wish our garden and home projects (and a need for new batteries) weren’t keeping us home in Clackamas, or we’d be either coastal bound or headed to Camp Sherman!  2 weeks ago we were on the verge of evacuating due to the encroaching Riverside Fire.  Thank goodness for that great Pacific onshore flow!

Come ahead, and enjoy!  Don’t miss the Columbia Maritime Museum, Lewis and Clark’s Ft. Clatsop, Fort Stevens, the wreck of the Peter Iredale, or the Astoria Column.

The nightly demonstrations have calmed, and are pretty much restricted to downtown and east side Police stations in Portland in the evenings.

Joel

« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 10:12:03 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Anita Johnson

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2020, 05:00:45 PM »
Hello Curtis and Phyllis,

Welcome to the Beaver Ambassador Club! 

As Jerry Carr indicated, we enjoyed staying at Lewis & Clark RV Park in Astoria for a week and a half and 2 weeks in Long Beach, WA.  The park is well manicured and the owners/staff are very friendly.  The owners have a 9 hole golf course hugging the park and walkable.  We like staying on the right side of the office, lots of space between coaches and large lawn area.  The other side is very crammed.  At the end of the street, you will find Ship Out Restaurant which serves delicious food.  If you have reservations elsewhere, please make sure you visit the park for future stay.  It gets windy there, so smoke should not be a problem and rioting is not found in Astoria.

Please be sure not to go up 8th Street in town; it is recommended that trucks and buses do not use this route to get to the park, please stay on the main street.  Like Joel indicated, there is a lot to see and lots of great restaurants; Mo's, Buoy's, etc.

We were on the OR coast at least a month and half; staying in Tillamook, Netarts, Astoria and Long Beach.  Also, a Costco is down the street from Lewis & Clark.

Have a fun time and safe travels!

Anita and Dean
Anita Johnson

2019 Entegra Cornerstone 45'
2014 Entegra Anthem 42'
2005 Beaver Monterey 40'

2016 Lincoln MKX

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2020, 06:23:59 PM »
Unless their policy has changed, be aware that the Lewis & Clark Golf & RV Park does not take credit cards for the RV spaces.  I don't know about their golfing fees.  I paid for the RV space with cash.  I don't remember if their policy excluded checks.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2020, 07:38:00 PM »
Ft. Stevens state park is a great place to camp while in the Astoria area. Don't pass up the Custard King for some frozen dessert.
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."