Author Topic: Cruise Control Wired Backwards???  (Read 2353 times)

Peter Whiting

• BAC Member
    • Seattle Yachts
Cruise Control Wired Backwards???
« on: October 12, 2020, 12:53:03 AM »
The owners manual for our 2008 Contessa states to accelerate, you press the Set button.  To decelerate, you press the Res button.  On ours, it is exactly the opposite.  The Set button causes deceleration, the Res button acceleration.  Otherwise, it works perfectly.  Any idea why it would be backwards?
2008 Beaver Contessa Pacifica 40

Richard Davis

• BAC Member
Re: Cruise Control Wired Backwards???
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2020, 02:04:48 AM »
Peter
Mine is wired backwards also and from comments I have read on many forums, it is a common issue.  At first I was going to see if I could change the way it is wired, but I did not ever figure out how to do it.  Eventually I got used to the way it functions and just left it that way.

Richard
06 Monterey Ventura IV, C9 400 hp
The following users thanked this post: Peter Whiting

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2020, 04:13:03 AM »
In my opinion, the technical writer got it backwards and the proofreader didn't catch the error.

On every vehicle I have ever had, the SET button not only set the cruise control speed, but also when engaged reduced the set speed by one mph.  Likewise, on every vehicle I have ever had, the RES (resume) button not only resumed the vehicle to the most recent set speed, but also when engaged increased the set speed by one mph.  That includes the Beaver Marquis I currently drive.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2020, 04:40:15 AM »
Without actually examining my own in the electric bay streetside forwardmost, as a first step I’d suggest checking that the connections at the VIP master module there (or wherever it is in your coach) at connector J11 are ordered properly, specifically wires 1 thru 4. 

There is a Smartwheel troubleshooter document in our Coach Assist section that I’m going by, and that should provide you with guidance.  Coach Assist was recently moved from the Forum to the main club website, under the Technical menu.  Scroll down to Electrical Systems, etc. under Beaver Equipment Manuals.  You can also see if your manual’s instructions make sense with the descriptions in the troubleshooting one.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2020, 04:39:14 PM »
  Peter, Cruise on: set button engages cruise at current speed. depress again to reduce speed by 1 mph. Press resume button once to increase speed by 1 mph. This is standard on all vehicles foreign and domestic for the last 25 years. I think the manual as David states is a "typo" Hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Bob Bulot

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2021, 09:04:58 PM »
Peter
Mine is wired backwards also and from comments I have read on many forums, it is a common issue.  At first I was going to see if I could change the way it is wired, but I did not ever figure out how to do it.  Eventually I got used to the way it functions and just left it that way.

Richard

Ditto.