Author Topic: Chassis A/C drier issues and warnings  (Read 3200 times)

Jeff Johnson

• BAC Member
Chassis A/C drier issues and warnings
« on: October 15, 2020, 05:32:43 AM »
Heads up Gang,
 In my quest to figure out why my chassis a/c doesn't work i have discovered that even tho my chassis had it's compressor replaced (2018) that is not the end of the story. After several conversations with Eric Maclean he led me down the correct path to diagnose my a/c issue, tip of the hat to Eric. Thank you.
  Eric told me to look at the top of my drier sight glass to see if I see bubbles or was it clear while the engine was running with the a/c on. "UH neither I see a bunch of white looking bb's."  "oooohhh that's not good" or something along those lines. After much conflagration pulling this line off blowing air and brake kleen down this line and that, pulling apart expansion valves  etc, I've discovered that I have the line from the condenser to the drier is completely packed solid with oil and bb's. To the point on the return from the condenser i had to drill out the line to make any head way, and it is still plugged on both ends and Im assuming the middle as well. So either the silica drier pellets took out the old compressor or when the old compressor grenaded  it took out the silk/cotton fabric bag and released thousands of little tiny bits of gravel like material thru out my a/c system.
Questions that must be asked:
why didn't the previous owners tech replace the drier when the compressor was done? Yes I'm sure it is original one.
Why isn't there a screen into and out of the compressor to prevent these catastrophic events?
  I'm going to try and patch this thing back together probably with the old compressor, but new drier(ya think!), expansion valve and a new hose. I figure I can burn allot of propane in my generator to run my coach a/c for the price of a new compressor if it all goes gunny sack.
Thank you and replace your drier!

1996 Patriot Savannah
CAT 3126B

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Re: Chassis A/C drier issues and warnings
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2020, 02:50:38 PM »
  Jeff,
Sorry, but it sounds like you have suffered the worse kind of failure. Some kind of failure has destroyed the reciever/dryer and the desiccant inside has been released to plugged up the system. This means the condenser, expansion valve and the evaporator are compromised. The whole system including the compressor needs to be flushed out. Even after all that, all it takes is one bead of desiccant to get stuck in the expansion valve and no cooling. I would seek professional guidance to do this repair. Sorry for the failure, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Jeff Johnson

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2020, 03:43:05 PM »
Thank you for the kind words and advice Fred.
 Yes it's not a pretty picture that's for sure, but like i say everything built by man can be fixed by man......just how much do you want to spend? Planning on getting new hose and  expansion then getting the condenser and system cleaned out.
i will check in at Haggermans Truck parts up in Umatilla Or for a compressor depending on what I find. They have probably over 15 acres of all sorts of commercial dead trucks sitting there and a gigantic warehouse of new parts as well. I picked up three new Goodyear air bags for this thing at 100 each there.
Thanks again Fred.
Jeff
1996 Patriot Savannah
CAT 3126B

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2020, 01:14:14 AM »
  Jeff,

How ironic, That is my favorite quote I would tell my customers when things looked discouraging. My coach did not have a working air conditioner either when I bought it. As it turned out, the high side hose coming off the compressor had blistered the inside liner and chunks of rubber went thru the system and plugged up the condenser and then plugged the hose going to the dryer and then the dryer. I ended up replacing both high and low side hoses from front to back, new compressor, condenser, dryer and flushed the expansion valve and the evaporator. That was 6 years ago and still blows 45 degrees at the dash. Hope things work out for you! Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Jeff Johnson

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2020, 07:22:03 AM »
Fred,
Glad your A/c system redo worked out, just hope mine works out as well and I keep this coach for 6 or more years. I think this coach has good bones I just have to keep baby sitting her along and it's a whole of lot cheaper than a new one!!
Thank you ,
Jeff n Vera
1996 Patriot Savannah
CAT 3126B
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks

Jeff Johnson

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2020, 04:50:58 AM »
Air conditioning update from Klamath Falls.
Well so far the chassis air conditioning is all up and running as I was able to see a 21 degree differential (Delta). I think I have a compromised compressor as it had probably digested a cup or more of desiccant bb's which went thru the system and plugged the liquid side condenser to drier line.
Found a great business here which is  Radiator King here in Klamath Falls Or. to do the following: condenser cleaning, evacuate, system flush and recharge the a/c.
 Also a very good parts supplier is Novak's or also called Baxter's auto parts, they were able to supply refrigeration hoses, condenser fan, multiple o-rings for the hose connections and also the pag 100 oil as well. I used them as I did all the parts replacement myself.

Thank you to Eric Maclean and Fred Brooks for all the advice on this saga, it is much appreciated.
Jeff
1996 Patriot Savannah
CAT 3126B
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks