Author Topic: Changing Fuel Filters (First Time)  (Read 3356 times)

Christian Fish

• BAC Member
Changing Fuel Filters (First Time)
« on: October 17, 2020, 11:00:56 PM »
I bought my 2005 Monterey Ventura III in June. Today I started to change the primary fuel filter. I started by attempting to drain the clear bowl on the bottom of the CAT Filter. I drained about a gallon of fuel with no sign of it emptying. I just topped off the tank and it is parked with a slight uphill slope, nose high. There  doesn't appear to be any type of shutoff valve where the fuel enters the filter. My concern is having a gusher once I remove the site bowl and filter. Is this normal? If so, does the fuel bleed out at the same rate as it drains from the site bowl? I could manage that, just don't want a major fuel spill.

Thanks
2005 Beaver Monterey Ventura III 36'
Cat C-9 400hp
2013 F-150 Toad

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Re: Changing Fuel Filters (First Time)
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2020, 12:28:03 AM »
    Christian,
 I think a lot of us have been in your situation. Your best choice would be to postpone that job until the fuel tank is 1/2 full or less. Once you get that siphon action going it will prove to be a mess. Maybe if you turn the coach around you could pull it off but I doubt it. Glad to see "Cat" filters and have fun. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Richard Davis

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2020, 01:23:33 AM »
Christian
I have a 2006 Monterey Ventura with the same setup as your 2005.  I actually bought a spare clear plastic bowl so I could install the bowl on the new filter and have the entire assembly ready to go before removing the old filter.  Otherwise it is a messy situation getting the old filter off, removing the plastic bowl, installing the bowl on the new filter and then reinstalling the assembly all while fuel is running everywhere.  I also try to change filters when the fuel tank is relatively low.

Richard
06 Monterey Ventura IV, C9 400 hp

Christian Fish

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2020, 06:17:26 PM »
Thanks for the responses. It's going to have to wait until spring. I need to get it winterized this week and I don't have the time to burn the tank down to half full. On the 27th I am having the first of a double knee replacement. The second will be after the Holidays.

Chris
Cat C-9 400hp
2013 F-150 Toad

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2020, 07:48:34 PM »
   Christian,
 Blessings and Joy be yours with the surgeries and may you get to enjoy your Coach this coming spring. All is probably well with the fuel system seeing you had the presence of mind to fill it for the winter to prevent condensation and the dates on the filters are just over a year old. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Christian Fish

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2020, 11:20:22 PM »
Thanks Fred!
Cat C-9 400hp