Author Topic: Exterior Trim at storage and bottom of wall, gap causing water leak  (Read 2058 times)

Serge Boulanger

94 Beaver, Patriot, 38'
I have a gap at the upper edge of the the trim pc where the exterior wall meets the storage area. How is this trim piece attached? Gap varies from 1/16 to 1/4 wide, about 6' long.

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
Re: Exterior Trim at storage and bottom of wall, gap causing water leak
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2020, 01:41:20 PM »
Serge
Could you give us a picture of the trim.
I think you are talking about the belt molding above the baggage doors this trim also acts as the hinge for the baggage doors.
I'm not familiar with that vintage coach but it could be one of two designs one has a vinyl insert which covers a series of screws that screw into the floor frame the other uses an aluminum screw cap .
The screws have been known to rust and break off leaving the trim loose as you discribed
It is important to seal that moulding to the wall because water will travel in behind that moulding into both the floor and lower wall panels.
Hope this helps
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Serge Boulanger

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2020, 10:09:17 PM »
Here you go Eric,
Thank you for the response.
it took me some time to adjust and attach pictures. (hope this works). The blue tape covers the gap. In this situation, it is above the radiatior cover panel. And, yes, that gap does allow (more like 'funnels') water into the interior at the bottom of the wall. And your response brings up another question--if this trim pc acts as the hinge for storage doors, how does one remove the storage door? I will need to repair damaged doors in future.
Thanks again,
Serge

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2020, 12:34:57 AM »
Serge
That is a vinyl strip in the centre of the moulding if you go to the end of the strip you should be able to pull it out of the grove fairly easily it may have a screw or river at each end to keep it from pulling back as it stinks.
After removal you will see the heads of the screws which secures the moulding in place .
You may have to replace some of the screws or even move them to new locations to get them to tighten after you get everything tight again seal the heads of the screws and seal the moulding back to the wall before reinstalling the new vinyl trim strip
You can buy the trim strip in white or black from your local RV dealer in rolls of up to 50 feet.

The hinge section on each door if lifted up past 90 degrees closer to the side wall should allow the hinge to drop down and out of the moulding section the rad door is the same as the baggage doors .
The fenders are bolted in at the bottom and slide up under or behind the belt moulding there may or may not be screws though the belt moulding holding them in at the top.
When reinstalling the fenders use nuts and bolts instead of screws at the bottom to avoid having one fall off on the road later.
Hope this helps
Eric
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 12:43:29 AM by Eric Maclean »
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2020, 01:02:51 AM »
Serge while your resealing you might want to remove the vertical mouldings at the end caps the ones at the ends of the belt moulding that run vertical all the way to the roof behind these you will find the seam between the wall and the end cap it is common for this seam to be a gap of 1/4 to 1/2 inch and was factory sealed with a seam sealer or non saging  dicor the problem is over time the seam sealer has dried out and cracked or pulled back leaving a large gap and allowing water to run into the wall at the corner.
Many have sealed the moulding to the wall as your coach is unfortunately this doesn't keep the water from entering the upper end of the moulding at the evesrough where it runs inside the moulding and into the open cracks right into the wall.
This also holds true at the front above the door and driver's side window.
If you have water getting in at or above the door check this and the wall to door frame seam behind the small evesrough above the door.
Hope this helps
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR

Serge Boulanger

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2020, 08:17:11 PM »
Eric,
thank you for the info. Much appreciated. I'll be working on the trim pc later this week, (i want to beat the winter rains). I'll also try your advice on removing the storage doors, (a sort of practice run for the future). As for the vertical band where wall meets endcap, i'm guilty of sealing the band to the wall at the rear corners but will do as you suggested (again, hopefully before the rains). I did the roof bands (front and rear) 2 yrs ago, the rear has sprung a leak so I plan to redo them both. The band at the drivers window has been resealed, but at the entry door i have a mysterious leak. somehow water enters above the door frame and (mostly, though not always) when that corner is low. Still scratching my head on that one. although gettin closer to solution.
Again, thank you Eric, Lots of good info.
Peace, health and safe travels,
Serge