Author Topic: Flame out (Hurricane)  (Read 2387 times)

Brian Buchanan

• The Buchanan's Rolling Down the Road
  • BAC Member
    • The Buchanan's Rolling Down the Road
Flame out (Hurricane)
« on: October 28, 2020, 02:39:11 PM »
Hello everyone,  I have developed an issue with our Hurricane heating system, when turned (it will run for up to 30-40 minuets) on unit comes to temperature, the heater will cycle until it needs to re-fire, at that point it will attempt to start and almost continues to burn but shuts down, the reattempt is not nearly as strong with little or no ignition, then shut down after the second attempt as it should. After 20 minuets I can reset the switch manually and it will start again without doing anything than resetting the switch
I have cleaned the nozzle, bleed the fuel after changing the fuel filter (which was very dirty). I have went through the trouble shooting guide and other than not checking the working pressures, I'm struggling to now where to go next, looking for any ideas.

1998 Patriot Thunder

thanks
Laurie & Brian Buchanan
Full Timers
40’ 1998 Patriot 425 Thunder
425 hp C12 Cat
Tow 2007 Ford Sport-Trac

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Re: Flame out (Hurricane)
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2020, 03:11:11 PM »
    Brian,
If the issue is a "flame out" on the re-cycle your trouble shooting guide should help you. Common causes after servicing the unit is fuel filter clamps are just loose enough for the fuel pump to suck air in with the fuel. Another possibility is the hair pin clip that holds the ignitor in place sometimes "nicks" the insulation when installing it. That compromises the spark when warm. Check that the fuel pump is clicking when running and also the compressor. Did you leave the needle valve wide open that controls the return fuel. How many hours on the Hurricane? Hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6
The following users thanked this post: Brian Buchanan

Ron Johnson

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2020, 11:44:05 PM »
You might try cleaning the burn chamber and blowing down the exhaust to clear debris. Also, cleaning the photo eye may help. Good luck!!!
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2020, 01:31:25 AM »
   Thanks Ron and by the way Brian, my rectangle exhaust pipe was over 3/4 filled with loose rust when I removed the muffler to replace the curved exhaust pipe from the combustion chamber down to the muffler. I used a vacuum cleaner and a wire to dig it all out. Excessive back pressure can't be helping the matter. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2020, 04:16:19 AM »
I serviced my hydrohot back in May.
fuel filter, cleaned the burner can and replaced the nozzle.
I then had an intermittent fire up afterwards, no issues beforehand.

I changed the nozzle out again with another new one and it has been fine since. Maybe the new nozzle is bad?
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2020, 02:37:22 PM »
    In the process of doing the nozzle maintenance, some technicians replace them and some take them apart and clean them with carburetor choke cleaner. It does not take much to interrupt the function. The end piece is a rotating insert that spins and creates the "fog" when the fuel passes thru it. It is always best if you can replace the nozzle when doing the maintenance if possible. Hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV