Author Topic: Dometic NDA 1402 refrigerator ignitor board.  (Read 3107 times)

David H Smith

• BAC Member
Dometic NDA 1402 refrigerator ignitor board.
« on: October 31, 2020, 01:25:40 AM »
 Has anyone had a failed LP ignitor board and not been able to find a replacement? I have searched the internet, called Beaver Coach Sales and searched ebay, no luck! BCS tells me this is an obsolete part, are there any electronic repair shops for this, or has anyone ever cobbled together a replacement from another refrigerator? I hate to go to all the effort to replace the refrigerator with a residential unit, and I hate giving up the LP capability. Any suggestions will be appreciated!  P.S.  my board part # 385 07 08-011
08 Contessa Huntington, 38',
Cat C9S 425 hp

Richard Davis

• BAC Member
Re: Dometic NDA 1402 refrigerator ignitor board.
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2020, 01:49:03 AM »
Dinosaur electronics makes a replacement for this board.
Look here.

https://www.amazon.com/Dinosaur-Electronics-3850712-01-Ignitor-Refrigerator/dp/B0031NR3TY

Richard
06 Monterey Ventura IV, C9 400 hp

Richard Davis

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2020, 02:34:02 AM »
Sorry!  My bad.  I thought that Dinosaur board would substitute for the one in your Dometic.  Evidently it will not.  I would still call Dinosaur and see if they have one that can be modified to fit your application.  (FYI.  I replaced my Dometic with a Samsung and I would not go back for anything.  We do a lot of boondocking and the Samsung is wonderful and uses very little battery.  If I still had the control board from my NDA1492 I would gladly give it to you, but that monstrosity hit the city dump years ago.  I know you are not wanting to go with a residential fridge, but I would strongly suggest you do some research and reconsider.  I was initially hesitant and pessimistic, but after 5 years of using the Samsung, I have become a strong proponent of the inverter compressor type refrigerators.)

Richard

David H Smith

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2020, 09:17:48 PM »
   Thanks Richard,
          How difficult was it to remove the old fridge and did you get them both in and out of the front door? What model Samsung did you get?
                 I wish you still had the old board too... :'(              Thanks   Dave
Cat C9S 425 hp

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2020, 09:45:51 PM »
David, I just replaced our Norcold with a Fisher Paykel 17 cu ft french door model. I bought (ordered) the fridge from a local appliance store and their crew removed the old Norcold (I had it prepped, doors off, and ready to remove) and some weeks later after I had prepped for the new fridge, same crew came back and installed the new fridge. In and out thru the front door. I unbolted the co-pilot seat so we could move it if we needed to, and removed the door strut so the entry door would open fully. Nice fridge, works great and you don't have to watch it all the time (too cold, too warm).
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
525 hp C13

David H Smith

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2020, 02:24:44 AM »
Thanks Bill, but that is the main power board, I need the board that manages the gas ignitor and turns on the gas solenoid.   
Cat C9S 425 hp

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2020, 04:27:40 AM »
The same site has the reignitor.  https://www.thedometicguy.com/dometic-circuit-board-3316348-900-w-reigniter-replaces-3850712013/

But I’d research locally for someone that can find and replace the probably 10 cent board component that’s failed.  That’s just me.  I’ve bought expensive tools and books to try to learn such an endeavor on my own, but frankly that’s been a mixed result.  Some board components have to be removed for testing, and only experienced techs are best at ferreting some issues out.  There are some such outfits online if you can’t find a local one.  My bad that I can’t recall one in the Midwest that others here have used for such fails as the Aladdin.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat
The following users thanked this post: David H Smith

Richard Davis

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2020, 06:22:00 PM »
David
I replaced the Dometic with the Samsung RF18.  It is one of the most popular residential replacement fridges because it is close in size.  (The Fisher Paykel is the other popular replacement.)  I pretty much had to disassemble the Dometic inside the coach to get it out.  After removing the passenger seat, the old one went out and the new one came in thru the main door (door retainer removed and the door held back and Samsung doors removed).  The big issue is a bit of cabinet remodeling to support the Samsung.  The Dometic is surface mounted and supported by the cabinetry.  The Samsung sits on the floor and will have to be supported so as not to move while traveling.  The Samsung is close in width to the Dometic, but a couple of inches taller.  Some people choose to open up above the fridge for clearance.  I chose to lower the floor in the enclosure so the Samsung would sit as low as possible to the coach floor.  Otherwise my wife who is vertically challenged could not reach the upper shelf of the fridge.  I do not know how your Dometic is installed and what is immediately underneath the enclosure.  All that was under mine was the on-board vacuum and an Aqua-hot register.  I managed to get the clearance I needed by lowering the floor.  If your Dometic proves to be irreparable (as mine was), this is a better option than trying to replace with a new absorption fridge.  It is a major undertaking with some remodeling, so as they say "measure twice and cut once".  Good luck!

Richard

David H Smith

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2020, 10:34:43 PM »
Thanks for the info Richard.....I am calling Electronics tomorrow as a last ditch effort. I have also looked at the Samsung and a Whirlpool unit with Ice/water in the door. Either will be a pretty big project to install, I have a storage drawer under mine that I keep pots/pans in, so no biggy there. Width will be my problem, so the 18cu ft Samsung would fit nicely, the Whirlpool 20cu ft will also with some triming on the sides.
               Thanks for the advice! Dave
Cat C9S 425 hp

Richard Davis

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2020, 02:33:21 AM »
David
One caveat.  Carefully measure the depth of the cabinet.  The Samsung RF18 and the Fisher Paykel 17 are "counter depth" models.  They are not as deep as a standard fridge.  In my Monterey, a standard depth fridge would have protruded into the hall walkway and would have been a real nuisance.  So, watch for the "counter depth" terminology and carefully measure for depth.
Richard

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2020, 03:14:18 AM »
Counter depth fits thru the front door, standard depth fridge won't make it.
525 hp C13