Author Topic: Air hose connection  (Read 2711 times)

Tom Webber

• BAC Member
Air hose connection
« on: October 30, 2020, 02:56:26 AM »
I have a 2006 Monterey.  Is anyone aware of an air hose connection off the engine air compressor that one could use to inflate coach tires?  If not on the coach from the factory has anyone added one later?
06 Monterey
CAT 350HP C9

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Air hose connection
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2020, 03:42:34 AM »
You can use the air outlet in the battery bay.  As per a YouTube video from a few years ago, I made a device that makes that easier than it otherwise would be.  Without that the compressor cycles on and off.  Before the compressor kicks on in a cycle, the tank pressure is well below that of the tire, so you can actually lose tire air, and may never get up to the target tire pressure.

You can remove the inflator when you think tank psi just reached existing tire psi, and go tap the brakes to get the compressor to cycle back up, then run out and reconnect the inflator hose, yadda, yadda...   The problem is the tank maxes out around 120-130, not that much above most of our common needs tire wise.

By using the home-built device, you can keep cycling the compressor to its max without having to remove the inflator line and run back and forth to the brake pedal to drop tank psi to get the compressor on, over and over.  The red valve releases sub-100psi compressor air from the tank, not the tire, getting it to cycle back on and max back up.  My device fits in a small Rubbermaid tub with enough hose to reach any tire from the curbside rearmost “bay”.

I have other portable compressors and some here use quality ViAir ones.  But when I used my device the first time it worked so well that I subsequently only use the portable(s) in the toad.  Portables can heat up before a huge coach tire is full, due to their low volume, and their safety thermo breakers cut out the units until they cool... a long, slow, “on”, cutout, wait to cool, “on”, slog.

Reference this old thread:   http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,4277.msg32439.html#msg32439

Joel
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 05:10:59 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2020, 04:17:01 AM »
I have the home made set up like Joel has. I saw how to make it on a YouTube video by the RV Geeks. It was too cumbersome for me. So, I use a VIAR 400P-RV. Its light, doesn't take up much space in a bay, and its always available.

The system Joel mentions works, just not for me. That fitting in the battery bay has a high tension spring, and I had several skinned fingers. Just me. Your mileage may vary.

Mine is just gathering dust on a high shelf in the garage. Would be happy to send it to you, if you pay the shipping. I can show pictures if you want.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Tom Webber

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2020, 03:13:18 AM »
I appreciate the information. Let me think this over and I will decide what I want to do.
06 Monterey
CAT 350HP C9

Richard Davis

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2020, 06:39:34 PM »
I also have a 2006 Monterey.  Is there an air hose connection up front for the tow truck to use to release the parking brake?  Or do you have to mechanically cage the rear brakes when towed?  I hope to never need to know, but just in case it is nice to know how to proceed.  Thanks!

Richard
06 Monterey Ventura IV, C9 400 hp

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2020, 08:15:40 PM »
No, Richard. There is no front outlet.  The one time we were towed the driver had to run a hose from his truck over our curbside mirror arm and down that side of the coach, bungeed I think to the awning arms, etc.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Tom Webber

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2020, 02:35:46 AM »
Thanks for the offer of parts to be able to air up tires from engine compressor but I am going to pass.
06 Monterey
CAT 350HP C9