Author Topic: House batteries go completely dead after 6 to 8 hours with no load  (Read 7099 times)

Kevin Higgins

• BAC Member
With fully charged house batteries and everything turned off including the breaker panel my house batteries are completely dead after 6 to 8 hours.I have isolated the problem to two sources. When both inverters are in the off position breaker panel all breakers turned off all the lights in the coach water pump everything is turned off I still have a three amp draw.If I turn off the chassis batteries in the battery compartment the three amp draw goes away. According to the Aladdin system. When I turn the chassis batteries back on with the disconnect switch I still don’t have any amp draw.When I turn the key on and start the coach then turn it off the three amp draws comes back the only way to get rid of the three amp draw on the House batteries is to turn the chassis batteries off and then back on again.            Second problem when everything is turned off in the couch including water pump all the lights I have a three amp draw but if I turn off the passenger side inverter the three amp draw goes away. I have no amp draw when the driver side inverter is on I’ve tried turning off all the breakers I still have a 3amp draw. This is a total of a six amp draw with both problems.  Also I just installed brand new house batteries 6 V interstate last June
Kevin                                                                             2006 Beaver Patriot thunder                                           42ft Vicksburg C13

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: House batteries go completely dead after 6 to 8 hours with no load
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2020, 07:59:40 PM »
Kevin,
Suggest you review "Batteries Not Charging" article in Common Problems. It sounds like the Big Boy solenoid is not opening when it should, either due to a malfunctioning BIRD system or failed Big Boy. Article explains proper operation.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2020, 08:42:05 PM »
Plugged into shore power?  No, yes-30 amp, or yes-50 amp?

Solar panels?  No?  Or Yes and RV is parked in the sun?

Which inverter charges the house/chassis batteries?  This is the 1st time I am aware of two inverters in a Beaver.

Fridge is OFF?  CO2, propane, and smoke detectors are OFF?

Aladdin and/or Silverleaf are OFF?

Auto leveling is OFF?

AguaHot is OFF?

TV receiver/s are OFF?  Bose or other entertainment system is OFF?

Engine and/or Allison control modules are ON?
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Kevin Higgins

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2020, 09:19:35 PM »
When connected to 50 amp shore power I don’t have any issues the batteries charge up chassis and house. Yes I have solar panels and they work when parked in the sun and not hooked to shore power.Both inverters charge house and chassis batteries. The problem is only when I’m dry camping refrigerator will run for about 5 to 6 hours than the batteries are done inverter shuts off. I’ve had this rig for about 3 1/2 years and I have dry camped in the past and the refrigerator will run all night long into the morning. This problem has just started it’s possible I have two isolated situations. The big boy solenoid I took off last spring and completely cleaned it and it functions properly.
Kevin                                                                             2006 Beaver Patriot thunder                                           42ft Vicksburg C13

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2020, 10:20:48 PM »
Kevin,
Your reported symptoms indicate the Big Boy is not opening after a battery bank reaches 12.5v with ignition off.
Steve
Steve

Kevin Higgins

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2020, 10:54:21 PM »
OK thanks Steve I just ordered one will have it next week I’ll let you know if that resolves the issues thanks kevin

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2020, 11:21:49 PM »

Kevin,
Hope you checked the BIRD (which controls the Big Boy) for proper operation as it may be the reason for the suspected Big Boy malfunction.
Steve
Steve

Scott Shearer

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2020, 09:16:58 PM »
Kevin,

Are you sure that your coach has two invertors? We have nearly the same coach with factory installed residential fridge and eight house batteries, we have one Magnum Invertor/charger. While there are four circuit breakers in the AC panel labeled invertor, two are output to the invertor/charger (from the transfer switch) and two are input from invertor/charger (to the AC panel).

The Aladdin system can be very useful for preliminary troubleshooting certain electrical issues, I wouldn’t rely on it to condemn any components.

You are always going to have draw on the house batteries, i.e., PCB board #5 in the front run box is always hot, regardless of the house battery disconnect and/or the ‘salesman switch’ position. PCB board #5 powers such things a radio memory, various 12-volt detectors and the like. Also, the Aladdin system itself will be drawing some power.

The difference that you are seeing when cycling the chassis battery disconnect maybe from the BCC/BIRD circuit board (#R6) in the rear run box, this PCB utilizes both chassis and house battery power. Starting the engine is probably triggering the isolator circuit that was killed when you used the battery disconnect(s).

Have you load tested your batteries? I would be suspicious that one of your ‘new’ batteries may have an issue. We had two of our eight batteries with bad a cell, they’d take a charge but wouldn’t hold with the inverter on and fridge running.

Are your chassis batteries also depleted in the morning?
Scott & Susie Shearer
2006 Patriot Thunder
Lexington IV 40'
Cat C13
2015 JKU Hard Rock

Kevin Higgins

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2020, 04:45:59 PM »
I did a load test on the house batteries all good. I took the big boy apart again it looked just like it did after I cleaned it in the spring. I do have two inverters one driver side one passenger side I think it’s my bird relay I took it out everything looks good clean no loose connections or burnt marks. I have 12.96 V on chassis side and house side of the big boy relay and the two Green wires Whether I’m plugged into shore power or unplugged from shore power. The only time it changes is when I turn the chassis or House batteries off. I did purchase a Big Boy Relay on eBay and installed it and nothing changed. I picked it up pretty cheap hundred bucks with delivery so I have an extra one. I ordered a bird relay from PDX Rv I’m not sure when it will get here ordered it last Monday haven’t heard from them. I also checked the salesman switch and it appears to be functioning properly also. And when I hit the switch for the power boost the big boy clicks but nothing changes there’s still 12.96 V on each side. I did read the article on house batteries not charging and the voltages did not match what they’re supposed to. I chassis batteries do not lose charge

Kevin Higgins

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2020, 04:49:14 PM »
I’ve tried to add a couple pictures driver side inverter passenger side inverter but it says the file size is too large won’t let me do it. I tried to do them separately also still wouldn’t let me do it

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2020, 05:01:34 PM »
Kevin,
There is a photo reduction guide in the Forum Assistance board. If you have "Paint" on your  PC, launch it an do a file open for the photo you want to load. Select "resize' and enter 50 (%). Do this 3 times and you will have no problem loading the photo. Don't worry about the size as viewers can expand it. One caution though, make a copy of the photo unless you don't care if it is permanently reduced in size.
Steve
Steve
The following users thanked this post: Johnny Beaver

Kevin Higgins

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2020, 05:35:18 PM »
Thanks steve

Scott Shearer

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2020, 11:51:10 PM »
Kevin,

I stand corrected and apologize. I just read through my wiring diagrams and it does show that the all-electric coaches have two inverter/chargers with two house disconnect switches in the battery compartment(s).
Scott & Susie Shearer
2006 Patriot Thunder
Lexington IV 40'
Cat C13
2015 JKU Hard Rock

Kevin Higgins

• BAC Member
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2020, 09:52:05 PM »
No problem Scott I appreciate you trying to help me out with this. Well I finally got the bird circuitboard and installed it the other day. Everything seems to be functioning properly on the big boy and the bird circuit other than on the eight pin connector the number five is supposed to have 4 V and it has 12v not sure what that’s all about I haven’t traced the wire to find out where it goes.  So I unplugged the RV from shore power and flipped all the breakers on made sure everything was turned off in the coach and three or four hours later I went from approximately 12.8 V on the Aladdin system down to 12.1. I plugged it back in the shore power charged everything up. I disconnected the inverters on the positive post turned everything off again overnight. Next morning batteries were dead less than 5 V. A buddy of mine was thinking one of my inverters was bad but I think I ruled that out. My shop is really dark when all the lights are off and I walked all around looked in everything there’s nothing on or lit up and I can’t hear nothing where is all this power going? I have an appointment with a guy in a week and a half to check the amperage or current draw from the batteries. I know there’s a current draw because you pull off the positive post there’s a big spark I’m not sure what that’s gonna do it’s just gonna tell me how many amps are drawn

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2020, 10:04:39 PM »
Kevin, You will always have a big spark when connecting/disconnecting (+) or (-) battery cables to your inverter, as the inverter has some big capacitors and they pull current for a split second when you connect or disconnect the cables. Watch out. Below is a nice DC clamp on ammeter that will help you chase those milliamps.

https://www.amazon.com/UNI-T-Digital-Handheld-Resistance-Capacitance/dp/B0188WD1NE/ref=asc_df_B0188WD1NE/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=385641687827&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=310824320346769893&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9032602&hvtargid=pla-825340133445&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=76926660445&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=385641687827&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=310824320346769893&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9032602&hvtargid=pla-825340133445
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."