Author Topic: Moisture from air tank drain valve  (Read 2310 times)

Gene Obie

• BAC Member
Moisture from air tank drain valve
« on: November 09, 2020, 02:29:43 AM »
I periodically open each of the air valves and always find one of the valves has some moisture. More of a light spray than solid stream of water. I usually leave the valve open until it blows clear (30sec or so). The only one to ever have moisture is lower right as shown below. Manual talks of "wet" and "dry" side to the tank. So is this valve a "wet" side drain and is moisture expected? The previous owner told me desiccant filter was almost new and when I had it serviced/inspected prior to purchase Truck Pro also indicated it didn't need to be replaced. But I'm not so sure.

I have a new desiccant filter but for the life of me can't get the existing one loose. I've broken 2 strap wrenches and now have a chain style vice grip like strap tool that i can try and maybe that will work. Any tips on getting it off short of dragging it to the shop? I feel really incompetent not being able to tackle a filter change. But I also don't want to knock a hole in it and not get it off and be stuck in my storage unit with no air - and having to call a "real" mechanic out in the end anyhow.

-Gene

2005 Beaver Marquis, Ruby 40, C-13 Cat 525HP, Allison 4k
Towing 2018 F-150
Washington

Mike Shumack

Re: Moisture from air tank drain valve
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2020, 11:15:46 AM »
I do not get any moisture out of my tank drains (I change the Air Dryer filter every two years).

I use this heavy duty filter wrench https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JFHMUC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 with a 1/2" drive breaker bar for the air dryer cartridge.
The wrenches with the short handle and the vise grip chain style won't work on a really tight filter. Those styles don't have enough grip or leverage. When you install the new one don't use the wrench to tighten - just hand tighten.

Gene Obie

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2020, 04:18:14 PM »
Thanks for the link Mike. Sounds like I definitely need to replace the filter. Any suggestion whether best to grip near the top of the filter or closer to threaded base?

-Gene
-Gene

Towing 2018 F-150
Washington

Mike Shumack

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2020, 05:05:12 PM »
I always try to grip at the bottom (near base) so the filter is less likely to crush or twist as you loosen it.
Good luck

Gene Obie

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2020, 05:25:56 PM »
Mike, thanks so much for the link to the right tool for the job. I purchased this filter wrench you suggested and it worked like a charm. Saved me tons of time in making an appointment and getting into a shop to get it done.
-Gene

Towing 2018 F-150
Washington