Author Topic: Outdoor winter storage in Florida - What do I tell the inverter?  (Read 3118 times)

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
Outdoor winter storage in Florida - What do I tell the inverter?
« on: November 27, 2020, 01:52:13 AM »
We are wintering in FL, and have before, but always staying in RV Parks with FHU. Last winter we bought a house down here, so we came down in the Beaver (best way to bring the cat) and are storing it outdoors at a place where we have stayed many times. We will not have electricity.

Yesterday, while moving some things from the coach for the house, the AGS kicked in because the fridge had been on the inverter for several hours. After we got the fridge (residential) empty, I unplugged it, and set the generator in the inverter control panel to Manual On. I assumed that meant the generator would not start unless it was done manually. To my surprise it came on again. I shut it off, manually.

I'm going back to the coach tomorrow. I need to set the inverter to "off" (is that a good thing to do?) and have never done it before. I can't find any menu for simply turning it off. I know I have to turn off the batteries with the two disconnects in the battery bay. Will that prevent the inverter from coming on?

I don't have the OEM inverter/charger. A few years ago we upgraded to a Xantrex Freedom SW 3012 in anticipation of the switch to a residential refrigerator.

I know David Richelderfer has exactly the same unit, and he walked me through setting it up when it was new. I hope he chimes in here. :)

All suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you.

Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
Re: Outdoor winter storage in Florida - What do I tell the inverter?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2020, 03:00:01 AM »
Copy and paste of the AGS owners manual:

Starting and Stopping the Generator
Use the AGS to start or stop the generator manually using the Xanbus
System Control Panel (SCP) or automatically in response to an electrical
system condition.
To set the AGS to start and stop the generator automatically:
1. On the AGS menu, highlight GenMode and press Enter.
2. Use the arrow button to select [Automatic].
3. Press Enter.
To start the generator manually:
2. Use the arrow button to select [ManualOn].
3. Press Enter.
To stop the generator manually:
2. Use the arrow button to select [ManualOff].
3. Press Enter.
IMPORTANT: To avoid AGS faults, try not to combine automatic and
external manual starts and stops.
When the generator has been started automatically, allow it to stop
automatically unless a situation occurs that requires the generator to be
stopped urgently.
Likewise, if the generator has been started manually, ensure that it is
stopped manually. Only the "Max Run Time" setting can automatically
stop the generator after it has been started manually.
Figure 34 Starting and Stopping the Generator
XAGS 00: Setup
Mode
Clear Faults Warnings
View Device Info
[Operating]

Happy Turkey Day!!
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."
The following users thanked this post: Stan Simpson

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2020, 03:08:31 AM »
Keep the coach plugged into shore power during storage if at all possible, otherwise your batteries are bound to fail. Even with every switch on the coach OFF, your inverter will still draw some power. These phantom loads are what will kill your batteries. If you cannot keep your coach plugged in, then remove the negative cable from your house batteries (there might be two cables, so check) and then WATCH YOUR BATTERIES! Sorry, but you will have to visit the coach at least 1x week to check on the level of charge in your batteries. After a month or so, you may be able to stretch out this interval,  but if you don't visit the coach and check your batteries they will go dead. Reattach the negative house battery cable(s) and charge with your generator. Or take out all house batteries and keep them on a trickle charger at your home. Or just plan on buying a new set in the spring.
525 hp C13

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2020, 03:15:12 AM »
Is your coach storage location secure enough to where you could install some solar panels and 20a solar controller to charge your batteries?
525 hp C13

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2020, 12:09:11 PM »
I would follow the advice of Bill Lampkin on this one.  Without any outside power source, the batteries will, over time, discharge.  The best way to slow down the rate of discharge is to unhook the battery cables.  If you aren't able to visit the coach once every week to run the generator for an hour, then either unhook the batteries or remove them and take them to your residence for hooking up to a trickle charger.

Only one time did I park our coach for an extended period without shore power to maintain the batteries.  That was in a building at the county fairgrounds about three blocks from our Oregon residence.  Once a week I walked over to the coach and ran the generator for an hour.  That was when the coach had a Xantrex Trace 2500w inverter.  As pointed out, the coach now has a Xantrex Freedom 3000w inverter.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2020, 12:45:05 PM »
Thank you Bill and David. As mentioned, there is no option to be plugged in, even to 15/20 amp. I'm only 11 miles from the storage area, and I have 24/7 access, so it will be easy to go to the coach and run the generator for an hour once a week. I will monitor the rate of discharge after a couple of one week periods. I also have a solar panel on the roof, with a charge controller. So, I guess the answer is that you can't really turn off the  inverter.

Edit: There's a great smoked ribs place right down the street from storage, so picking up a take out order once a week isn't a bad chore.  :D
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

David T. Richelderfer

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2020, 01:26:07 PM »
My understanding is that not only the inverter draws power from the batteries while in storage, but also several other components draw power.  Turning off the inverter, as I understand it, doesn't shut off all its power draw.  I heard once that a capacitor in the inverter stays charged.  The other components that draw power likely include the engine and transmission brains, microwave clock, and the several detectors for CO2, propane, and smoke... and there are probably other components in the electrical and battery bays that remain powered.

William Jordan

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2020, 03:18:23 PM »
If you don’t need anything in the coach I’d turn off both the coach and chassis batteries and disconnect the negative cable on both. Batteries will lose 5-10% per month. There should be no reason to have to check weekly this way. In Florida temps will be mild no issues.

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2020, 03:35:14 PM »
Kill two birds with one stone; Checking the batteries is motivation for the BBQ run.....Now, about storing the coach under the Florida sun....!
525 hp C13

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2020, 12:20:17 AM »
Ran the generator today for an hour. Batteries were on float. I ran the AC as well to put some load on. This is what the Aladdin screen showed just before I shut down.

2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2020, 02:28:35 AM »
Stan, a charge rate of 102 amps means your batteries are taking all the charge your inverter can put out. That 102 number should, if your batteries are already fully charged, quickly drop to 20 amps or so. Something ain't right. And a solar chg rate of 86 amps is impossible if you have the factory 100a panel, as that one panel will only put out about 5 amps in full sun. I would not turn my back on those batteries, as I don't think they are anywhere near fully charged.
525 hp C13

David T. Richelderfer

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2020, 01:18:17 PM »
I have to agree with the prior post by Mr. Lampkin.  It appears to me that your inverter was still in its BULK CHARGE mode in the picture.  If you have quick access to your Xantrex Freedom PSW 3000w Owner's Guide, then go to page 56 to read about the inverter's three charge modes - BULK, ABSORPTION, and FLOAT.  The inverter is programmable regarding these charging modes and there are three-stage and two-stage programmable settings.  I tried to find the page number in the Guide regarding programming the charging modes, but near page 31 is where it should be.  The Guide is very complicated and difficult to understand.  It appears to have been written by an engineer on drugs.  The Guide seems to have an illogical bent to it.  Good luck.

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2020, 02:01:16 PM »
Bill and David. I will be going back to the coach tomorrow. Thanks for the information. Perhaps you can answer this question. When I go to the remote board for the Xantrex that is installed in the cabinet above the entry door, there is a tab to click on the Inverter. It shows the current battery state. At the bottom of the window there are arrows (this is from memory..could be out of order) for Menu, Setup, etc. The arrows are pointing down, and are not the two arrows that are between enter and function. Those little arrows just don't work for me. Any ideas how to get in to the menu and setup?
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

David T. Richelderfer

• BAC Member
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2020, 02:08:58 PM »
I believe the arrows on the screen are pointing at the button (below the arrow) that you are supposed to push for the function you want to enable.  The screen is not touch-programmable. The four buttons are the only way to access the programming screens.

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2020, 03:11:29 PM »
Here is a link to the owners manual. Other manuals are available from Xantrex (AGS, system control panel SCP,).

http://www.xantrex.com/power-products/inverter-chargers/freedom-sw-12v_newgen.aspx

The manuals are complete, if a bit complicated so take your time when you read them. Like everything else, there are also you tube videos, just do a Google search.   

http://www.xantrex.com/documents/Inverter-Chargers/Freedom-SW-NewGen/Freedom%20SW%20120V%20NA%20Owners%20Guide%20(97-0019-01-01_Rev-G)_ENG.pdf
525 hp C13