Author Topic: Engine and gauges quit momentarily while driving  (Read 2842 times)

Bruce Hoglander

Engine and gauges quit momentarily while driving
« on: December 02, 2020, 04:41:10 AM »
Last month I bought a 2005 Monterey 38ft with cat 400 engine with only 8K miles from  owner  that bought it new. I drove it home the 900 miles with no issues. On trip today the engine would lose all power and the Tach, speedometer, voltage gauges would all drop to zero for one to three seconds and then all would come back to normal. The ATC light would come on and stay on for a few minutes. This happened several times and without any input or change from me that I can trace it to. Seems to be electrical so after third time I stopped and checked connections on Chassis Batteries etc. I have been motorhoming and maintaining my own for 30+ years but this is my first diesel so any help pointing me in the right direction would be very much appreciated. Wondering if anyone else has encountered something similar to this. I plan to clean all terminals and carefully check batteries and connections tomorrow.

Bruce Hoglander
2005 Monterey 38
Cat 400

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Engine and gauges quit momentarily while driving
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2020, 04:58:18 AM »
Bruce,
It could be the ignition solenoid in the front electrical bay (under dvr) momentarily failing.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2020, 01:13:45 PM »
    Bruce,
The weakest link in the ignition system is the ignition solenoid in the compartment under the drivers window. Steve is correct and most of us carry a spare. We recommend a genuine Cole-Hersey 85 amp continuous duty solenoid. Hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2020, 01:50:58 PM »
Bruce, check out the electrical system first than I would suggest replacement of the injection actuation pressure sensor. The engine has low miles and been sitting. Hopefully we are talking Caterpillar C-9
and not a C-9S serial number. Last can you retrieve any blink code off your cruise control that would
help very much in helping you. Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Robert Kornstad

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2020, 02:10:42 PM »
Bruce, I also have experienced what you are describing and as Steve and Fred have pointed out is what I found to be the problem also.
Rob
2016-     :03 Monterey Pismo, ISC, 350hp

Bruce Hoglander

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2020, 05:58:15 PM »
Thanks to all who replied. Located a solenoid nearby and going to put it in today.  Dave I will also look into your recommendation if this does not fix the problem. I assume unplugging from shore power and using disconnect switches for both battery banks should be okay for installation. Ill respond after a day or so to let you know how it works out. I'm sure you guys will hear from me as my last three coaches were Safari coaches and used the forum a lot. In fact I still have a TREK that I have to say goodbye to soon.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2020, 03:57:53 AM »
Bruce, make sure you reinstall the diode correctly;  the stripe on it should be to your left (the “hot” side). 

Hopefully you got a Cole-Hersey 24059, and it’s an 85 amp version.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 04:04:51 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Robin Goffrier

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2020, 11:40:15 PM »
Everybody on this board is smarter than me and Dave is as good as it gets.  But if for some reason it still dies now and then after your initial fix we might talk circuit boards. I had similar problem that got worse with time,  Now I don't.

Larry Fritz

• BAC Member
  • 98 Patriot Ticonderoga - 37' Blue/White, 3126B CAT
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2020, 04:47:29 AM »
Steve and Fred are right on. About 15 years ago on my 98 Patriot I had exactly this problem and symptom; but, mine would stop for only a few seconds or so. I could never prove it but later did finally after 2 years of trying to locate and prove the real issue. A new solenoid solved the problem. Like, Joel said..............Get one with a good amp rating and pay attention to the band direction (or meter)  on the diode when removing your old one and replacing the solenoid. Never have had any more problems since then.

Larry Fritz
Larry Fritz

Bruce Hoglander

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2020, 01:17:15 PM »
Just wanted to follow up and let everyone know that after two days of driving the solenoid seems tio have fixed the problem . Thanks again!