General Boards > General Discussion

Let's talk about toads!

(1/6) > >>

Peggy Aakre:
Hi, my husband and I are what we would consider newbies.  We have had our 2000 Beaver for two years now but have only been able to take three trips with it due to our jobs.  Here is my question:
what is the best and easiest vehicle to tow?   I have seen articles on-line about Ford F150, Jeep Wranglers, Nissan Versa?   We currently have a 1999 Jeep Wrangler that we tow but it doesn't have AC so thinking about getting something else.  We really don't want to have to hookup oil lines, etc.  Need it to be as simple as possible.  I even see that some of the tow vehicles have a MPH limit on them.  any suggestions??

Robert Mielenz:
Honda CRV  Watch which year, the newer ones cannot be towed flat.

Richard Davis:
The Honda CRV is flat towable thru year 2014.  The 2015 and later with the CVT transmission are not towable.

Richard

Bill Englund:
Currently I tow a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland. Shift into neutral, push a button, put it in park and off you go. When you arrive, shift into neutral, push a button, put it into gear and off you go. About as simple as it can get. When you put it into neutral the odometer is disengaged so no tow milage is added to the car. Overland and Summit models have a far better ride as the have an air bag supension. Also, be sure to get the right transmission.
I have approximately 55,000 tow miles on this Jeep, with 115K driving miles on the odometer. Other vehicles i have towed are a Honda Accord (back when you could), Mercury Mariner (same as Ford Escape, went through 2 transmissions), Jeep Wrangler (definitely not as comfortable as the Grand Cherokee, but easier to drive off road)
What would I get for a new tow car -- another Grand Cherokee, without hesitation, but i would also consider a Ford 150. What would I get if I didn't have to tow it -- lots of other choices since there are a lot of cars that can't be towed which are more dependable than Jeeps.

Keith Moffett:
Prior to 2011 the explorer had to be the limited and then you had to install a neutral tow switch.  That said its just hook up tow bar and power chord, turn on neutral tow and go.  After 2011 or maybe 2012 no neutral tow needed, just hook and go I guess.
We have the 2006 linited with 145K on the odometer.  We have used it behind 3 Beavers with only a couple issues.
I would have a newer Explorer or an F150 but the Ranger quad cab is nice too.  I think that is towable.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version