Author Topic: Installing Entry Door Lock Tumbler  (Read 4342 times)

Bobby Kirk

• BAC Member
Installing Entry Door Lock Tumbler
« on: December 18, 2020, 01:15:18 AM »
Received new Door Latch without Lock Tumbler. Getting New tumbler  Has anyone installed a tumbler.
This is on 2006 Beaver Marquis.  Thanks

Bobby Kirk
2006 Marquis

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Re: Installing Entry Door Lock Tumbler
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2020, 01:21:43 PM »
     Bobby,
Tri-Mark has a special key that allows you to remove the tumbler and re-install it in the new lock. Perhaps your local RV dealer may have one. If not, call Tri-Mark at 800-447-0343. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Bobby Kirk

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2020, 04:02:42 PM »
Thanks for help Fred.  Have install and removal key on the way.  Fred do you know if the cylinder can be installed from front of latch  Thanks again

Bobby Kirk
2006 Marquis

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2020, 10:52:43 PM »
  Yup, goes in from the outside. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

Gene Obie

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2021, 12:24:26 AM »
Coach came with one key for Trimark front door lock - occasionally I could get the key to turn with lots of jiggling and effort. But now I can't get it to work at all. I've tried to cut another key with no success. Removed inside door trim to inspect and the mechanical assembly and keyless entry works fine so appears to be only the cylinder assembly.

I've called Fred at Trimark and emailed Ann at Trimark with same response that they no longer have any repair parts for my lock or a master key. Anyone have a "master key" they can loan me to try to remove the cylinder to see if I can find a replacement?

Any other options? Hate to tear the door completely apart to replace entire assembly but seems like next best option???

-Gene

2005 Beaver Marquis, Ruby 40, C-13 Cat 525HP, Allison 4k
Towing 2018 F-150
Washington

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2021, 12:57:36 AM »
Gene
The lock you have pictured has a sirclip on the back side which holds the lock cylinder level on the end of the lock cylinder once the sirclip ( E clip) is removed the lock cylinder can be pulled out from the front.

If you look closely at the front of the lock cylinder you will see a three digit number this number is the key code number if you give that number to trimark they should have no problem getting you the proper lock cylinder so your keys all match .
They no longer build that particular door handle but the lock cylinders are used in other trimark products

In my case the baggage doors had different keys from entry door so when I replaced the door lock cylinder I used the same lock cylinder number for all and now everything is keyed alike.
I had several baggage door locks that where seized and replace all the bad ones now it all works great.
Hope this helps
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Gene Obie

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2021, 06:13:53 AM »
Eric, a closeup on the front silver cylinder only shows a picture of a key and the letter 'k' (if you open my attachment I think it shows up fairly well). Is there a different spot that I would find the number? I sent TriMark a close up showing the "K" via email and they said this mechanism was too old and they couldn't help me since they no longer stocked any parts for it.

To get to the clip you discuss, I'm assuming I have to tear the frame off the door and remove window frame to be able to pull back the door frame enough to get access to the lock? Removing the small rectangular opening only allows me access to latch mechanisms and deadbolt... I can't see down to the TriMark lock assembly. 
-Gene

Towing 2018 F-150
Washington

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2021, 01:34:24 PM »
Gene
The entry door paddle handle assembly is or was a Trimark 030-0400 no longer in production it is rep!aced by a 030-1400 which is rounded corners .
The 030-0400 came with a choice of two key code TM 205 or TM 211 you will find that the baggage doors used the TM 211
While the entrance door had a TM 205 to check look at the shank of the key the number should be engraved there.

To remove the entire door handle you must get to the back side to remove a saddle clamp which holds it into the door
The door was built by a company called TDL and we have a pub in the BAC library here on door adjustments which might help.
Although your door is likely different than mine in order to get to the back of the handle on mine the inside door panel has to come off the door which involves removing several screws around the perimiter of the door and all the pieces that are screwed to the inner face of the door.

Here are some links whick should help
http://www.nervinc.com/parts/items/tm-211-lock-cylinder-key---340
https://www.trimarkcorp.com/sr/zPlatform.aspx?platformid=12

Hope this helps
Eric
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 01:50:20 PM by Eric Maclean »
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2021, 03:18:49 PM »
Gene, I had problems with my baggage doors, like Eric did, and Tri-Mark sent me some replacement parts proto. I'm sure you've tried the easy stuff, flooding the lock with liquid Lock-Ease and or Liquid Wrench? You might get the lock to move if you can hit the remote open close at the same time you try the lock using the key. Best bet is to read up here on removing the door panel to gain access to all. Once that's done, I think Tri-Mark's new latch should fit. BCS fixed our baggage door locks and replaced the keyless entry keypad; so for the last two years I haven't even used the door key to open the door. Guess I should get out the Lock-Ease and do some maintenance on that lock!
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Gene Obie

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2021, 05:31:00 PM »
Thanks for the great info.

Eric, Part numbers really helpful. Looks like my coach still has original 040-0400. I don't have locks on my baggage doors (only electric- which I found a little odd) and don't have any original keys so no key codes available. Looks like best option is to remove door panel and replace with 030-1400. Was thinking about having a locksmith come out to try to cut me a new key but not sure they would be successful and probably just better to pull door panel and replace. I see the assembly you referenced available on Amazon.

Bill, yes I tried options you mentioned to lubricate/free the cylinder - the mechanical parts of the mechanism move free and easy. My outside keypad does work and I was actually able to find 2 used FOB remotes at good price on Ebay and with some difficulty got them programmed. So now at least I have good electronic options to get in - but I still leave a window unlatched camping in more remote locations after reading horrors stories of being locked out. I read on forums many folks never use the key - maybe I'm just too untrusting of electronic locks and aging coach.  I would feel comfortable routinely relying on electronic options if there was at least a backup key hidden somewhere outside. So with info referenced here hopefully I can get the door panel off without destroying anything.
-Gene

Towing 2018 F-150
Washington

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2021, 05:33:58 PM »
    Gene,
You may try to find a "K" pass key in the meanwhile until you replace the assembly. Your local dealer may have it but may not sell it to you. Maybe Amazon or other internet source. Hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2021, 05:55:01 PM »
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR

Gene Obie

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2021, 08:47:38 PM »
A follow up that may help others. I ended up purchasing TriMark RV Door Lock 22660-04 Replacement for 13438-04 Right Hand ($45 from Ebay). Everything fit well and works fine after install - all the linkages matched up perfectly. With the desire of not having to pull the inside door panel off I cut a circular hole to access the mechanism hoping I could do the install without removing any door edge trim or window screws. Unfortunately since the mounting plate nut on the original lock was recessed into the panel I still needed to remove the door edge molding on that side to get access to this nut. With the new part, that nut doesn't extend so far and I can get to it from my access hole and believe if I had another issue I would only need to remove my plug. At least if something goes haywire I can access from inside and the plug doubles as a stop for the screen door handle. That said, knowing what I know now I probably could have replaced it without the hole and by just removing the door edging on that one side (and not the window frame).
-Gene

Towing 2018 F-150
Washington