Author Topic: Switches under dash access panel - What are these for?????  (Read 1877 times)

Rick Vyncke

• BAC Member
Switches under dash access panel - What are these for?????
« on: January 14, 2021, 03:16:54 AM »
After owning our 2004 Marquis for over six years, I discovered an access panel that is built into the top of the dash directly in front of the driver.  Imagine my surprise when I opened the access door and found these strange switches (see attached phots) directly below it.  If anybody knows what these are for I would greatly appreciate the information.

The first switch is clearly labeled "ABS"... the only thing that comes to mind is Anti-Lock Braking System... but why would it have a switch hidden inside of the dashboard???  Maybe it's something completely different...  I don't know.

The second switch is literally a plunger.  I didn't push it for fear it is the secret "Self-destruct" button.... but seriously, what is it and what is it used for?  I've heard of an Aladdin reset switch that I've never located... could it be that?

I don't even know how to explain the third item... not a switch... a pvc-looking round piece of plastic with wires running into the bottom.  Might the top unscrew and be some kind of diagnostic port?  Again... I am at a total loss.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.  Do other Marquis' or other Beavers have an access panel in the top of the dashboard?  I do not find any information about it in the user manual.

Thanks in advance.
Rick V
2004 Beaver Marquis, Garnet (3 slides)
43'
C12

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Switches under dash access panel - What are these for?????
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 03:34:16 AM »
Rick,
The Chassis Electrical chapter of your owners manual should define their purpose. The capped one is a diagnostic connection, probably for the engine, although some models have a similar connector for the Allison diagnostics.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Rick Vyncke

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2021, 03:38:41 AM »
Thanks you Steve.... I'll have to review that section of the manual again...
Rick V
43'
C12

Rick Vyncke

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 03:54:56 AM »
Thank you again Steve Huber.... Just as you suggested it was in the owner's manual.

#1 - ABS Tag Diagnostic
#2 - ABS Diagnostic
#3 - Engine Diagnostic Plug

Manual says there is also an Allison diagnostic plug in there as well.

Thank you!!!
Rick V
43'
C12

Mike Shumack

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 11:37:29 AM »
The rectangular plug shown at the top of photo in the bottom photo is the old style transmission diagnostic plug. However the round diagnostic plug (the SAE J1708 6-pin plug) also communicates with the transmission and can be used for Allision diagnostics. You should also have another round plug (J1708) near the engine (possibly in your battery box area).

My Coach (Patriot Thunder) is similar except I don't have the fancy rocker switch (just the push button type switches).

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2021, 02:46:42 PM »
Under that hatch, you may find a reset pushbutton for your keyless entry bundled to a bunch of wires. Its just a small red pushbutton, but if you want to reprogram your keyless entry you'll need to know where it is. On our coach, there is another pushbutton for the keyless entry behind a wood panel next to the co pilot seat at floor level. This pushbutton allows you to reset the code on the keyless entry panel (the outside one next to the front door). The red pushbutton under the dash is for re-programming the outputs of the keyless entry module, not usually needed unless you have to replace the module. Oh, the turn signal flasher relay is also in there too! (at least on our coach!)
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."