Author Topic: batteries  (Read 2049 times)

George Frudakis

• BAC Member
batteries
« on: February 21, 2021, 10:25:00 PM »
I have acid batteries now want to change to AMG. Is there anything that would have to change besides the batteries themself? Should I get 6 v or 12v AMG? Tired of checking the water level, as you may know, I forget to, and when I do they are dry.
George Frudakis
2002 Marquis, Jasper
Ford F150 Platinum

Carl Boger

• BAC Member
Re: batteries
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 12:17:51 AM »
I would get the 6 volt AGM's, they should have more capacity than the 12's.  You will only need to change the charge setting on your inverter/charges to the AGM profile. I don't know which inverter you have, but that will determine what the settings are.  Hope this helps.
Carl

98 Beaver Patriot Savannah
330 hp Cat 3126

George Frudakis

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 12:54:15 AM »
Thank you it did help. I look and see what inverter I have and look at what changes I need. Which brand will give your most bang for the buck?
Your help is greatly appreciated.
George Frudakis
2002 Marquis, Jasper
Ford F150 Platinum

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 01:14:05 AM »
Just completed that myself, George.  After much handwringing and consultations among many, I gave up on the lithiums idea.  Although I didn't mind having to add distilled water every so often, as the wet cells age and the charger must pour more at them, the gassing increased, and corrosion required more attention than the water levels.  The buckles on my hold downs, whether plastic, zinc plated, or stainless, melted within months if not weeks if the coach was plugged in.  And tray corrosion became more and more serious.

I finally got the old Interstate Workhorses (U2200, GC2) out, painted the tray with POR-15, and installed 4 Fullriver 6v that a local purveyor offered me a good deal on.  I was told that US Battery's versions were American made, and was holding out for those, despite Fullriver having a stellar reputation.  But then I discovered I'd been misinformed, and the US Battery ones are Chinese-built as most, including Fullriver, seem to be.  The vendor gave me the same price on the Fullriver as the less expensive US Battery brand, and I'd put the task off for years already, so I took the deal.

I called Magnum Energy and they said to reset the inverter to "AGM2".  AGM1 is a setting designed for Gel batteries.  When I first plugged in, the Magnum Inverter Remote (the LCD screen) read 14.9 volts, and there was concern that was too high.  Another call to Scott at Magnum eased my fretting.  Only 2 days later an ice storm took out our house power, and for 4 days I used the coach genset to power major home functions, running 12g cords from the ice maker and fridge outlets behind the Dometic fridge.  During that time I watched the Remote's numbers range from 13.1 to 15.1 volts.  All was okay, and ultimately the readout was 13.1v at "Full Charge".  At rest unplugged and the main battery switches off, it stays around 12.7 volts.  I've yet to look for the solar controller's dip switches and equalizing mode jumper (switch), as it has rained a lot since the ice storm melt off.  I will get to that change before long.

You have an earlier coach than mine, and both my inverter remote and my solar controller are outdated models, it turns out.  So as Carl notes, a lot depends on what brand and model of charging devices you have on your Marquis.  I can tell you the team at Magnum Energy is really great.  The only glitch is that you may have to wait in que quite awhile when calling support;  I waited 45 minutes the first time and about 20 the second.  But its because they give every customer's issue the time and attention it needs.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat
The following users thanked this post: George Frudakis

George Frudakis

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 07:54:41 PM »
did the amg batteries you purchase fit in the existing batteries tray?
George Frudakis
2002 Marquis, Jasper
Ford F150 Platinum

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2021, 09:36:32 PM »
Yes, they fit.  Dimension specs are on websites. In fact they are a bit shorter than the old U2200 (GC2) wet cells.  I will likely drop 6 inch sections of 1” PVC pipe into the tray in front of each pair as spacers.  No problem. 

They have interesting brass fittings for the cables.  They screw into the battery body and act as a bolt to clamp down a ring-ended cable.  A hex form at the bottom is more suited to a socket than a wrench.  But their format allows for cables with clamping lead ends also, if a vehicle has them.  And a person can bolt down accessory wires to the threads in the brass top if need be.  Stainless washers and bolts are included for that, or in case you don’t want to use the brass fittings at all.

The MSRP is high for Fullrivers, but shop around, as I paid much less.  My local vendor, Battery Systems Portland, were out of enoug stock so I had to wait 10 days or so due to national weather delays.  I ordered “online” via their Chat feature, where I was offered the lower price.  By picking them up locally I got the core exchange price.

https://www.batterysystems.net/dc224-6-fullriver-6v-224ah-gc2-sealed-lead-acid-agm-battery

-Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Frank Bergamo

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2021, 09:47:28 PM »
George,

Lifeline https://lifelinebatteries.com/products/rv-batteries/ Top of the line AGM’s. I bought mine from a wholesaler in San Dimas, California at a substantial discount. Measure your tray, then match to a battery from the web site above. Their phone (909) 599-7816. Hope this helps.
Frank & Paulette Bergamo
2019-       : 2007 Marquis Topaz IV  C-15 600 HP Allison 4000
2014-2019: 2002 Marquis Emerald C-12 505 HP Allison 4000
2004-2014: 1986 Executive Diplomat 3208 250 HP Allison MT-643
Grand Junction, CO.

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2021, 09:48:51 PM »
Maybe not top of the line, but a good price for AGM. 210AH.

https://www.atbatt.com/amstron-ap-gc2-6v-agm-deep-cycle-battery/?partner=LinkShare&siteId=8*X6Fwho90A-mW8S8UnfbftzqD0Uq2N5zg
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."