Author Topic: Running generator with slide extended  (Read 2117 times)

Gene Obie

• BAC Member
Running generator with slide extended
« on: February 28, 2021, 11:16:45 PM »
Is there any issue with running the generator with slide extended? Vibration or other stress on the slide mechanism. I'm stored indoors and running the geny with slide out gets the exhaust closer to the front door. Hate to start the diesel just to move a few feet to get periodic run on the generator. I guess I could put an exhaust hose extension on the geny. Anyone believe the extra exhaust pressure would cause any issues with an exhaust extender?

Thanks in advance.
-Gene

2005 Beaver Marquis, Ruby 40, C-13 Cat 525HP, Allison 4k
Towing 2018 F-150
Washington

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Running generator with slide extended
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2021, 11:57:04 PM »
Get a Gen-turi....  We have one and have used it on both the generator and AquaHot exhausts.  I laid it down on the ground to point the exhaust away from the RV parked to our side instead of pointing it straight up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RST_EZjpA38
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2021, 12:05:44 AM »
Gene,
I'm not aware of any issues (and haven't encountered any) when running the geni with it extended. I also use a floor style fan (picked it up at Goodwill) to help blow the exhaust out of the shop. As you noted, it beats moving the coach a few feet. I've got a Genturi but only use it outside when parked next to another coach.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Gene Obie

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2021, 12:38:08 AM »
Thanks for info all. I hadn't heard of genTuri but have already experienced diesel fumes getting back in coach running the Aquahot and was wondering about a solution to that. Seems a gadget for almost everything. So ordered one of those off Amazon and will give it a try protecting me and neighbors from fumes. Looks like it's designed to have minimal impact on exhaust backpressure changes.

Not sure why I didn't think of my big exhaust fan (in storage) so was able to get 1.5hr run on it yesterday as it's been over 2mos since I've ran it. Still small amount of fumes getting back in the coach so next time I'll get to try the genTuri at an angle.
-Gene

Towing 2018 F-150
Washington

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2021, 01:54:43 AM »
Gene, we have similar coaches and I have never had reason to suspect the aqua hot exhaust was leaking into the coach. Ours exits aft of the service bay door, so its a blank wall above where the exhaust is located, no windows or vents. Do you keep a nearby window open while running the Fantastic vents?
I also was concerned about AH exhaust being a nuisance to neighbors, but I really don't smell anything when I'm outside when the AH is running. Time to do an annual service on the AH maybe?
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2021, 02:02:50 AM »
Bill -

His coach is stored indoors, so the building is catching and holding the exhaust fumes inside.  He wants to get the fumes to go out a nearby door.  I suggested a Gen-Turi.  I have used ours by hooking it to the exhaust pipe and laying the Gen-Turi piping on the ground pointing either forward or backward instead of upwards... in whichever direction is downwind when parked alongside another coach, or, in his case, point it towards an open door.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2021, 02:30:55 AM »
Didnt know coach is stored inside.
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Gene Obie

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2021, 05:54:15 AM »
Bill, the generator exhaust issue was my indoor problem. But the aquahot was outdoors. The time I really only noticed AH fumes was parked in a spot with dense shrubs about 8ft tall on that side of the coach (actually tight on both sides). I did have a crack in a window to get weebost cable thru - but had painters tape over the gap. So the combo of those 2 was probably the reason for diesel odor inside. That said, I am due for annual service and cleaning of combustion chamber.
-Gene

Towing 2018 F-150
Washington